saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-05-26 00:19:39

akaryrye
Enthusiast
User Number: 70

interesting engine break in discussion

I found this thread on a volvo tuner forum, it seems the people are fairly knowlegeable and since none of the subaru forums seem to have any real information on proper break in procedures, this might be interesting to read.  They are mainly talking about rebuilt engines, but for the most part, the same rules apply to a new motor.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=597

Red 1990 Miata - squirted n' sparked, gt2554 turbo
Black 1997 Miata - basically stock ... needs a bath

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-05-26 11:57:17

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

Re: interesting engine break in discussion

Some good info and some really bad info in that thread.  The info from the Hastings site is downright scary.  In short, the engineers who built these engines know better than any tuner out there.  Follow their advice in the manual and there will be no issues.  Don't shortcut it, it's not worth it.

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#3 2005-06-24 01:53:36

hotrod
User Number: 345

The info from the Hastings site is downright scary.

It actually matches up quite well with the way serious racers have broken in engines for decades.

95% of the engines break in occurs in the first few hours of run time. If the cylinder pressures are notighigh enough to properly seat the rings, you may never get ideal compression. The manufactures recommendations for engine breakin are dumbed down fail safe guidelines that keep the total morons from killing the engine driving off the dealers lot.

Knowledgable engine builders and engineers have used intermittent, gradually increasing engine load breakin for all manner of engines. If you use the factory recommendations you are guaranteed to have an engine that will perform at an average level, and not have any major failures that the factory will need to repair under warrantee. It does not guarantee maximum performance or engine life.

See my other post https://www.saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=501&p=3   for details of some other similar recommendations.

Larry

Last edited by hotrod (2005-06-24 01:55:23)

2002 Impreza WRX  -- 13.239@102.85 @ 5800 ft on stock TD04L-13T turbo

#4 2005-06-24 07:38:46

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

hotrod wrote:

It actually matches up quite well with the way serious racers have broken in engines for decades.

I don't disagree with that, and infact, I've broken engines in this way too, but I have one MAJOR issue with that advice:  I'm breaking in a STREET engine, not a RACE engine.

From what I've seen, learned, and experienced over the years is that just because a racer does it one way doesn't mean that you should be doing it that way on the street.  Racers do things for a specific reason - they need the most power they can get, the fastest suspension setup for the turns, the stickiest tires, the strongest, most heat dissappative brakes the rules will allow them.  Typically nowhere is 150k longevity in mind.  FWIW, I've wrenched on everything from Formula Vee and FFs to IMSA GTP cars and F1 based CanAM cars.  I've even supported Pro-Rally cars and got talked into supporting a Top Alcohol car for a season.  The one common response from all the mechanics I worked with is that we'd never treat our street cars the way we treated the race cars.

Anyone is free to break their car in any way they want.  I've choosen to break mine in per the manufacturer's recommendation.  I chouse this method based on my own research and experience as to what is the best for my car.  Please choose your own way and live with the choice.

#5 2005-06-24 11:42:10

scottgf
Former, Ex Dealer Guy
Supporter
User Number: 13
Website

tonka92x wrote:

hotrod wrote:

I don't disagree with that, and infact, I've broken engines in this way too, but I have one MAJOR issue with that advice:  I'm breaking in a STREET engine, not a RACE engine.

From what I've seen, learned, and experienced over the years is that just because a racer does it one way doesn't mean that you should be doing it that way on the street.  Racers do things for a specific reason - they need the most power they can get, the fastest suspension setup for the turns, the stickiest tires, the strongest, most heat dissappative brakes the rules will allow them.  Typically nowhere is 150k longevity in mind.  FWIW, I've wrenched on everything from Formula Vee and FFs to IMSA GTP cars and F1 based CanAM cars.  I've even supported Pro-Rally cars and got talked into supporting a Top Alcohol car for a season.  The one common response from all the mechanics I worked with is that we'd never treat our street cars the way we treated the race cars.

Anyone is free to break their car in any way they want.  I've choosen to break mine in per the manufacturer's recommendation.  I chouse this method based on my own research and experience as to what is the best for my car.  Please choose your own way and live with the choice.

Well put Tonka....

Just wondering....What GTP car did you work for?......A friend of mine worked for Gurney, on the Toyotas........

Cheers,

Scott
05 9-2x Aero 5 Spd AP Stage 2 SOLD 10/2012     94 Dodge Viper RT/10
73 Plymouth Road Runner                                  63 VW
69 Ford Cortina GT                                            12 Chevy Volt

#6 2005-06-24 12:13:34

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

scottgf wrote:

tonka92x wrote:

Well put Tonka....

Just wondering....What GTP car did you work for?......A friend of mine worked for Gurney, on the Toyotas........

Cheers,

Agree 100%!  And Tonka, you have me drooling over here!  I'm very jealous...and actively looking for an FF atm. smile

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#7 2005-06-24 12:39:46

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

scottgf wrote:

There were a few:  One was a Lola T70 that was actually a "rental" - 3 drivers got together and rented it for a race.  They were surprised that it didn't come with crew, only with engineer and transport driver, so I was  recruited.  First REALLY FAST car I'd worked on.
Second was a March 83? BMW. I was suppose to support for two races, only did one because one of the team drivers rolled it in the race.

After the TA dragster I'd had enough.  I don't think I've set foot on a race track in 15 years.

#8 2005-06-24 17:23:55

hotrod
User Number: 345

I'm breaking in a STREET engine, not a RACE engine. ...

In theory there should be no difference between a race engine and a street engine as far as break in process is concerned. Max power and max fuel economy both depend very strongly on good ring seal, and low friction. In the Aircraft industry longivity and reliablility is absolutely job #1, and they also use the same sort of graduated high load run in process on piston engines. As Colin Chapman said, the ideal race car would break down as it pulled into the victory circle. Meaning they had gotten all it had to give out of it. He was not implying that they were mis-using the equipment only that he did not want to over engineer race cars, he only wanted to haul the minimum necessary weight around the track so every component was engineered to be "just good enough".

That said, longivity is critically important in racing. You can't win if you don't finish. There are lots of drag race engines that run all year long and when torn down are good as new, needing only a freshing of valve seats and new valve springs etc. for another reliable season. Same for other racing environments.

As far as the live by your choice --- I've clocked well over 650,000 miles in the last 40 odd years of driving. ( I average between 15,000 and 18,000 miles a year). I drive cars hard ALL the time, but do not abuse them. I consistantly have gotten over 100,000 - 150,000 miles out of every car I've owned. (This includes the late 60's when a car was considered used up at 100,000 miles). I've driven everything from a fullhouse 392 Chrysler Hemi street racer, to a 1968 VW, all treated the same way, and broken in as I've discribed. I've never had a blown engine or other breakdown with the exception of a single engine that sucked a valve when the cam chain broke at over 120,000 miles (Jeep 401 V-8).

Every one  of these engines that I've had occasion to open up (including the 401), had cylinder wear that was still with in new engine tolerance at over 100,000 miles, and a hardly detectable ring ridge at the top of the cylinder. They all could have been re-ringed and put back in service.

Successful racers do not abuse their equipment during the phase of operations they have full control over (like engine run in). On the track they may push the equipment to the breaking point to achieve a victory, but that is with full knowledge and understanding that they are "using up" the engine, transmission, brakes or whatever they must sacrifice to get to the finish line first.

Engines and brake pads are the same, they will not give you 100% performance unless they are intellegently "seasoned" and bedded in. Like tires that are properly heat cycled, sometimes the real world defys common sense. Some tires will give longer service and better traction over their life time if you shave some of the tread off and properly heat cycle them the first few times they are run by driving them hard. Leave full tread depth on them and they will give less service.

As you say pay your money and take your choice smile

Larry

2002 Impreza WRX  -- 13.239@102.85 @ 5800 ft on stock TD04L-13T turbo

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.