saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » South
  •  » New Owner - Roof Rack Question

#1 2009-03-19 12:37:51

supastar84
User Number: 3581

New Owner - Roof Rack Question

Yaaa just picked up a silver Saab 92x linear. 

It is fairly plain now and I'm looking forward to adding some customizations.  One of the first things I want to do is get a roof rack since I do alot of mtn biking.  Sounds like you can get the Subaru OEM one and put on?  Anybody know how much this runs?  I'm in Atlanta.

Thanks for any advice!

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2009-03-19 14:17:03

AspenMike
Thirsty Dog
Supporter
User Number: 1858

Re: New Owner - Roof Rack Question

If you want something less permanent, I have some Inno rack "feet" that allow you to install Thule square rails on the roof. PM me. Do a search, and you can find the thread where I posted pics of the rack on my Linear W/bike

"When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem."  Edward Abbey

#3 2009-03-19 15:34:42

saab_rob
User Number: 1177

I would get the OEM rails for sure.  I had the Thule feet and they worked, but put dents in my roof down

I scored new OEM rails on NASIOC as a swap for my rail deletes.  The OEM rail mod with Thule or Yakima bars and mounts is much more of a bomber rack setup than using the clamp towers.  I now manage to carry bikes, snowboards, and even my 16' sea kayak on my  92xroxor

Black 05' Aero: AT, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Panasonic Strada CN-NVD905U DVD/NAV unit, Falken Ziex ZE-912 tires

#4 2009-03-19 15:43:28

colb218
Saabaruski
Supporter
User Number: 2679

+1 for roof rails

I have yakima bars and a thule snowboard rack.  I wish those 2 could settle on round bars vs. square bars.  On the positive side I get to flatten out my rack when not in use.

2005 92x Aero - Cold Weather - Aftermarket Leather - After Market Moon Roof - WRX Rails - Auto Dim. Mirror/Compass - Door/Trunk Sills - Armrest Ext - Stg 1 - STi Catback

#5 2009-03-19 15:48:01

Bryan
why don't you remember my name?
Supporter
User Number: 1768

If an aftermarket rack is putting dents in your roof, you're doing it wrong.

if someone else installed it, they did it wrong, too.

there are several threads out here (use the search) about roof racks, mounts, etc.  Weight limits are part of the key here - factory rails are limited to about 100 lbs no matter what the crossbar is.  Varying aftermarket setups go anywhere from 100-165# capacity, just FYI.  You will lose a net 3-5% on highway in fuel mileage with a full-time rack - just having the rails up and not the crossbars won't cost you a thing, though.  having something with real load capacity is a big help - get a box later for skis and gear, carry kayaks or canoes, the occasional trip with lumber, etc.  Personally, I like to be able to take the rack off - i don't always need to carry bikes or a box or whatever, and the mileage loss adds up.  I run Yakima, q-towers and Q78 clips, 48" bars (should have gotten 58 for the canoe hauling), fairing unless the box is up, windjammer on the rear bar.  I have enough spread to carry anything - i'm spread out a couple inches further than the instructions say - and they haven't left a mark on the car.  165 lb. load limit, too.

Last edited by Bryan (2009-09-23 18:27:59)

I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

#6 2009-03-19 20:12:47

AspenMike
Thirsty Dog
Supporter

arrow-up
always informed....

Post #5 in this thread....

https://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?pid=261616#p261616

Last edited by AspenMike (2009-03-19 20:19:04)

#7 2009-03-25 09:11:04

supastar84

Thanks for the tips  smile.  So, I found somebody that will trade with me.  Now I am wondering how hard it is to take out the deletes/install the rails.  I did a quick search on here for an overview or directions on how to do it... but didn't find anything.  Has an overview/directions been posted before?  The main thing I am wondering now is if the roof will be sealed still (will rain get inside) when I take out the deletes.  I have to get the rails shipped, and may also try to strip them so that they are partly silver.... so the deletes may be out for awhile.

#8 2009-03-25 09:38:13

MattL
2011 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
User Number: 253
Website

supastar84 wrote:

Thanks for the tips  smile.  So, I found somebody that will trade with me.  Now I am wondering how hard it is to take out the deletes/install the rails.  I did a quick search on here for an overview or directions on how to do it... but didn't find anything.  Has an overview/directions been posted before?  The main thing I am wondering now is if the roof will be sealed still (will rain get inside) when I take out the deletes.  I have to get the rails shipped, and may also try to strip them so that they are partly silver.... so the deletes may be out for awhile.

Make sure whoever trades you gives you the strips that go with the rails too. If you are doing a trade usually that is done at the same time or if shipped allowing enough time to garage your car for a few days.

I just bought mine from someone that already had them off his car so I didn't have to deal with it and so I could prep them first (strip off paint to go silver). But then, they are still sitting in my garage and not on my car :-( Hopefully I will have time next month.

Sold: 2005 Arctic Silver Aero, Prem., Cold, 5 MT owned since new.

#9 2009-03-25 10:23:46

AspenMike
Thirsty Dog
Supporter

Duct tape.

#10 2009-05-12 10:05:58

supastar84

So I was able to swap with a local wrx guy and now have roof rails.  So far I've got a yakima roof rack setup, and am looking to buy the actual fork mt bike racks now.  Here is my question:  is there any way to set them up so that I can open my hatch with the bike racks on?  I did a search and saw that one guy successfully cut the rack so that it is a shorter length and doesn't hit.  I'm hesitant to do this because I may get another bike down the line and maybe it will be a different length and not fit on the cut rack (or is the distance from fork to back wheel standard?).  I'm also hesitant to do this because I already have 1 yakima sprocketrocket, which is uncuttable, so would have to buy two new racks if i want to cut them. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

#11 2009-05-12 10:13:51

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

I just sold some oem rails and  asymmetrical/aerodynamic cross bars on here.  150 plus shipping, it came to about 200 total.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#12 2009-05-12 10:26:56

mkaz
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3501

supastar84 wrote:

So I was able to swap with a local wrx guy and now have roof rails.  So far I've got a yakima roof rack setup, and am looking to buy the actual fork mt bike racks now.  Here is my question:  is there any way to set them up so that I can open my hatch with the bike racks on?  I did a search and saw that one guy successfully cut the rack so that it is a shorter length and doesn't hit.  I'm hesitant to do this because I may get another bike down the line and maybe it will be a different length and not fit on the cut rack (or is the distance from fork to back wheel standard?).  I'm also hesitant to do this because I already have 1 yakima sprocketrocket, which is uncuttable, so would have to buy two new racks if i want to cut them. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

Only way I have figured out is to turn the mounts around so that the fork is in the back.  Not ideal, but you don't have to cut anything.  Yes, you can cut them but if you find a bike with a longer wheelbase you will have to buy a new mount.

Current: 2005 Linear, MT, Cold weather, sunroof, premium, 20mm FHS RSB, Subie side rails / Yakima racks
Gone: 04 BMW 330i ZHP, '06 Civic Si coupe, '97 Miata, '96 Civic, '93 Sentra SE

#13 2009-05-12 11:14:19

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

arrow-up Not saying that this helps hatch access much but what I do (since I've got both long and short WB bikes) is the old boater's trick of getting a rubberized bath mat and placing it over the (clean) spoiler before opening the hatch. If you let the hatch swing up slowly, with the bath mat in between to protect things, you won't have too many problems. Doesn't hurt that I'm 5'5" so the stooping under the mostly, but not completely opened hatch doesn't bother me too much. If I was 6'+ tall, I don't think this would be a solution.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#14 2009-05-12 11:35:13

Omnipotent13
User Number: 2252

mkaz wrote:

supastar84 wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts!

Only way I have figured out is to turn the mounts around so that the fork is in the back.  Not ideal, but you don't have to cut anything.  Yes, you can cut them but if you find a bike with a longer wheelbase you will have to buy a new mount.

That's what I did when I had my King Cobra on the roof. I had to mount it so the front wheel was in the back and the long trough extended toward the front of the car. I couldn't see it through the windshield so it didn't bother me.

Silver '09 WRX

#15 2009-09-08 17:01:18

ghilliker
User Number: 2180

Can you mount the OEM factory rails without taking out the headliner?

ggth

'05 Linear saab 92x  '97 Pathfinder 4x4
[Original owner: '67 Saab Sonett II chassis #122]

#16 2009-09-23 17:02:00

supastar84

ghilliker wrote:

Can you mount the OEM factory rails without taking out the headliner?

ggth

Nope

• Home
  •  » South
  •  » New Owner - Roof Rack Question

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.