saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2009-09-03 17:28:30

yungsu
User Number: 3883

Aftermarket stereo installation DIY help

Some of us knuckleheads need your help with aftermarket car stereo installation DIY instructions.  It seems easy enough to me as far as popping out speakers and sticking in replacements (must be wary of the depth of the replacement speaker watch out!)...the head unit does not seem complicated either assuming Crutchfield or the like has the proper harness kit.

Where I get nervous is installing amps and subs...messing around with that always puts me in fear of giving myself one hell of a shock... eek  The wiring is also a bit overwhelming, I'd like to have a 10" enclosed JL in the hatch BUT not sure how to wire it all.

I have an aftermarket amp already installed from the original owner and an aux input that plays through the FM radio for ipods and the like.  Not great sound out of the aux in.

So with that in mind....anyone out there know of a good thread in these forums that provide step-by-step instructions for installing aftermarket stereo equipment into our 92xs?  I'm assuming all models from '05 and '06 have the same basic set up in terms of speaker size, etc.

Also - how do you post pictures in these messages anyone?  anyone?

Tell me you're not ready for some FOOTBALL!

2005 92X Aero, 5 spd, Premium and Sport Packages, stock except 4 Sony MDXF5800 MD/CD headunit, Sony 10 CD changer, MB Quartz separates front, coax rear, 10" JL Audio 10W1v2-4 sub, Alpine 5 channel amp.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2009-09-04 09:11:48

Hscott3417
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2287

Re: Aftermarket stereo installation DIY help

Well as long as your battery cable is off, and you don't have a capacitor in your aftermarket system you won't get shocked. Wiring car stereo equipment is simple DC wiring it really doesn't get much easier, as far as wiring things goes. For the amateur its way easier then home wiring, though neither is that bad.

And as far as running to the amp you should have:

A positive cable from the battery,  Red

A negative lead going to the body, or good grounding point. Black

A cable from the head unit that turns the amp on and off with the power, I want to say yellow? or green, it really depends.

2 RCA cables from the back of the headunit, that plug into the amp.

Then out of the amp you positive (Red or Clear) and Negative (Black) speaker cable going to the sub. It may sound dumb but if you are close to a library most have old school late 1980's books on car stereos that are actually really good, they make it much more simple then it is now, and its fun to see the old school equipment.

2007 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Aero, Black
1968 Saab 95 V4 Wagon, Silversand
(SOLD) 2005 Aero, 4eat, Blue, Cold Weather Package
(SOLD) 1980 Chevy C-20, 454, Turbo 400, Black, Camper Special

#3 2009-09-04 09:20:58

tekkheadd
President & CEO
Supporter
User Number: 2702

i'm not ready for some fatball.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT (world rally satin gray), PnP turbo, Factory Gauges, F1 Racing flywheel, 3'' Catless DP, DOM Tuned Stage II, Hella Micro DE fogs, Ixiz, Koyo Rad, Impreza trunk tray FTW!!
Stocker 16''s  Nokian Nordman2
BBS RK's BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2

#4 2009-09-04 11:30:25

kornfeld
Supporter
User Number: 2503

Red wire provides power to the amp, and runs from positive terminal to amp

Black wire is ground and runs from the amp to any bolt that attaches directly to the body

Blue wire (not yellow or red) is the remote turn on...this is a thin wire that runs from the HU to the amp, and it just tells the amp to turn on

And don't worry about shocking yourself.  The first thing you should do is disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, then you're safe.

Just google or search on youtube for "car amp installation" or something like that, there's got to be a million things out there.

Blue '05 Aero MT

#5 2009-09-07 22:04:53

todzilla220
User Number: 612
Website

Dont forget your fuses!  Put a good one on your red/power cable.  And also have a few in the glovebox as well.  lol

'05 DBM 92x Aero with Performance Package

#6 2009-09-08 03:48:40

TougeMaster
User Number: 48

Amateurs, I believe you can find Crutchfields instructions online. Amps are a whole other thing. I gave up on the self install. Find a local guy to do it for you. Spend the money and a day and all you Shit will be put in and no more worries. I got too old for the simple stuff.  banana

2005 92-X Aero, 5MT, Satin Gray, Premium, Cold, MOMO Shift Knob, Kartboy Shifter, Crucial Radiator Shroud, SolarGuard Charcoal 50% Front 15% Rear, ,FHI 20MM Rear Sway Bar, Kartboy Endlinks, Crucial Up, Helix Downpipe, Daddy's Halfback, Prodrive Round Tip Axelback, Rota SDR w/BFGoodrich Sport, Maddad Gauges, Prodrive/Tokico DSpec, VF43 POWA!!!

#7 2009-09-13 21:55:10

todzilla220
User Number: 612
Website

I agree with this post  arrow-up

I used to love getting things torn apart, cutting my hands up, losing screws, blowin fuses. 
But I think Im reaching the point where I'll pay to have it done.

'05 DBM 92x Aero with Performance Package

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.