saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2010-04-09 08:50:03

scoop
User Number: 3481

Transmission Problem? Are my synchro's going?

Hey folks... I have a symptom and I'm not sure if it's a problem, or just an annoyance.  I've got an '05 9-2x Linear 5MT with about 46k miles. 

I hear a crunching/grinding noise when I shift into 5th gear during "spirited" driving.  Or, as spirited as one can get in a Linear  spider.  A typical time for this to happen is when merging onto the highway - I'll run it up to 60 or 70mph in 4th gear, and then shift into 5th.  If I shift at the lower end of this range (around 60mph), I hear the "crunch" during the split-second delay before the gears engage.  If I shift at 70mph, the delay is slightly longer, and the "crunch" sound is really more of a grind.  The higher the RPMs during the shift, the worse the noise sounds.  Needless to say, this happens even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed (i.e. - this is not a result of me letting out the clutch too early or anything like that). 

So are my synchros going?  I'm still covered under Saab's CPO warranty, so I'd like to get it fixed if it's a problem. 

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by scoop (2010-04-09 11:44:43)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2010-04-09 11:42:25

hammyt
Moderator of Moderators
Supporter
User Number: 562

Re: Transmission Problem? Are my synchro's going?

scoop wrote:

Hey folks...I've got an '05 9-2x Linear 5MT

during "spirited" driving

I'll spool it up to 60 or 70mph in 4th gear

Does not compute.

Sounds like a clutch/synchro issue, but I'll let the real tranny experts take a stab at it.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT
Parchment Metallic
Lots of dents.

#3 2010-04-09 11:45:30

scoop

hammyt wrote:

scoop wrote:

Hey folks...I've got an '05 9-2x Linear 5MT

during "spirited" driving

I'll spool it up to 60 or 70mph in 4th gear

Does not compute.

Sounds like a clutch/synchro issue, but I'll let the real tranny experts take a stab at it.

Haha... Yeah, it's a Linear.  But I agree that "spool" would seem to indicate turbo, which I don't have.  Edited for clarity.

#4 2010-04-09 23:42:36

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

Shifting from 4th to 5th around 70 mph is only about 4000 rpm.  You shouldn't be getting a crunch from the 5th gear synchro at that low of an RPM.  My Linear certainly doesn't.

First things first, however.  When was the gearlube last changed?  If it has been a while or you don't know try changing it to a quality GL-5 gearlube.  Some gear lubes will have their FMs shear down as they get used and it results in difficult shifting and possibly crunching while shifting.  On my old SE-R if I ran Redline gear oil after about 6 months it would get slightly difficult to go into 2nd gear.  Once I felt that I knew I had about 200 miles until I wouldn't be able to shift without double-clutching and rev matching both up and down.  Fresh gear lube and everything would be good again.

Second, during your "spirited" driving do you change shifting technique?  You may be unconsciously rushing the shift and beating the synchro, or since you're expecting a crunch, slowing the shift way down and giving it time to get unsynchronized as the gear slides onto the drive splines.  Try following your normal shift technique (i.e. non-spirited driving) and see if it persists.  (I knew a guy who raced a showroom stock GTI that was also one of his dd.  He could never figure out why the brakes worked fine on the street but as soon as he went racing the brakes pulled severely to the left.  Finally an instructor went with him and immediately figured it out - the guy would brace himself for braking by stiffening his left arm, causing the steering wheel to turn slightly left.  Which he then fought with his right arm, making the guy think the brakes were pulling left.  He never realized he was stiffening his left arm.  You might be doing the same thing on the shift, thinking you're doing it the same when in fact you're doing it a different.  I know when I autocrossed my hands would start to drift to the bottom of the steering wheel and I would only become aware that I was doing it when I caught my hand on my pants.)

#5 2010-04-10 08:48:45

Scargo
JAFO
Supporter
User Number: 227

arrow-up  Tonka nailed it.  First thing I'd try is changing the fluid.  If you don't want to do it yourself, since you have CPO, take it Saab, and tell them the symptoms.  They'll probably change the fluid, as part of the diagnosis.  They most definitely DON'T want to break down your tranny to replace a synchro an the first step they'd take is changing the fluid.  So, you could potentially get the job done for free.  And, maybe they'll give you coffee and a donut in the waiting room.  biggrin

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, FHI RSB/H6 upgrade/Prodrive Blues, Koni Inserts/IxizHood/Stromung DP, Cat, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#6 2010-04-11 22:51:44

Dover SAABaru
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2074

My fifth gear synchro was out on mine when I bought it. It would shift fine until the tranny lube warmed up then I'd get the same crunch. Mine was still under warranty though and SAAB replaced the entire tranny. I just double clutched and was fine until the replacement was in.

Deep Blue Metallic 05 92X Aero 5MT Stage II

Hotdog Jerky, It's a picnic in your pocket!!

#7 2010-04-12 08:17:08

scoop

Cool, thanks guys.  I'm pretty sure it's got the original transmission fluid in it, so after 46k miles it's probably time to change that anyhow.  I bought the car w/ 32k miles, and I haven't done it, and I doubt the last owner did either. 

Regarding technique, I'm sure that I am rushing the shift.  RPMs are likely still up in the 4000 range, whereas at that speed in 5th gear it will run around 3300 I think.  I'll see what happens if I let the RPMs drop a little before putting it into gear. 

Dover - that's interesting about the warming up of the fluid.  I didn't notice it at first, but after reading your post I realized that mine is the same way.  On my way to work, I merge onto the highway after only about 3 mins of driving on local roads, and there is no crunching on the shift to 5th.  On my commute home, I have about 10 mins of driving on "secondary" roads - 45ish mph with stoplights every so often.  Immediately afterwards, I merge onto the interstate, and the tranny does make the crunching noise upon shifting to 5th.  That would seem to support the idea of changing the fluid - maybe it's losing its effectiveness as it heats up. 

Thanks for all the help, guys!

#8 2010-04-13 22:48:38

Dover SAABaru
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2074

I changed mine at first and it didnt do a thing. What pissed me off was that I didn't catch it when I test drove the car. When I contacted the dealer he told me to take it to my local SAAB dealer and that if they didn't take care of it under the factory warranty he would. I could not have been more pleased with the outcome. I wondered if the previous owner made a habit of going from third to fifth.

Deep Blue Metallic 05 92X Aero 5MT Stage II

Hotdog Jerky, It's a picnic in your pocket!!

#9 2010-04-14 16:07:30

MorganH
Mr. Caramel
Supporter
User Number: 2380

Scargo wrote:

arrow-up  Tonka nailed it.  First thing I'd try is changing the fluid.  If you don't want to do it yourself, since you have CPO, take it Saab, and tell them the symptoms.  They'll probably change the fluid, as part of the diagnosis.  They most definitely DON'T want to break down your tranny to replace a synchro an the first step they'd take is changing the fluid.  So, you could potentially get the job done for free.  And, maybe they'll give you coffee and a donut in the waiting room.  biggrin

Take it to Saab, I went in with 146 miles left on my 50k warranty, told them the tranny was making noise, they ordered me up a whole new tranny, and I had them put in a new clutch at the same time (all it cost me was the price of the clutch). Being a Subaru, they don't want to get into the transmission, so they will just buy you a new one. So, take it in and go get yourself a new transmission...  big_smile

- '06 9-2x Aero - 5MT - Arctic Silver - Made the way it should have been.

Daddy's Wheels To School And Skiing :  Daughter's 'Tail of the Dragon' Roller Coaster
...and yes, she climbs into her Recaro and belts her self in.

http://www.carid.com/ http://www.carid.com/floor-mats.html http://www.carid.com/saab-parts/ http://www.carid.com/tires.html http://www.carid.com/rain-x/

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.