saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2010-12-16 21:12:03

TheSilentMan04
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3425

Cold Weather Start Issue - Fuel Pump Relay? UPDATE 12/17/10

UPDATE:  Took the relay out and tested it and it seems to work just fine.  It clicks just as it's supposed to, but on a cold start (eg after the fuel system depressurizes) it takes a few minutes for the fuel pump to prime.

Hey guys - having some cold weather start problems with my 05 Aero 5mt (72,9xx miles).  On a cold day (and on a cold start) the fuel pump doesn't seem to turn on unless I leave the key turned to the ON position for a few minutes.  Sometimes it will turn on right away, but other times it takes up to 10 minutes of the car being in the ON position before the pump turns on.  Last winter I had the same issue, and though it wasn't as bad, one shop told me I needed to replace my fuel pump (which I did) - this very obviously didn't fix my problem. 

I did an extensive amount of research last year with little results, but I have a feeling the fuel pump relay is bad.  Unless of course any of you have a better idea as to what is wrong; I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but it seems like the relay is the culprit.

Does that sound like a possibility, or is there something I didn't consider?  If I left out any crucial information or anything, please let me know.  I'm really dying for a solution, as it's a pain in the ass to have to sit in a mall parking lot at midnight with a car that won't start  banghead

Thanks!

EDIT - I should mention that the engine will crank and the battery was replaced recently, so that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Last edited by TheSilentMan04 (2010-12-17 15:07:47)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2010-12-16 22:11:46

ronaszegi
User Number: 4815

Re: Cold Weather Start Issue - Fuel Pump Relay? UPDATE 12/17/10

i am quite new to the Subaru world, but have a bit of Honda knowledge so i hope it helps.. i have had this issue with practically ever older Honda i had, except on really hot days. it was the Main Relay on all of them, super common problem with Honda.

seems like the issue you are having as well, just inverted

#3 2010-12-16 23:09:08

TheSilentMan04
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3425

ronaszegi wrote:

i am quite new to the Subaru world, but have a bit of Honda knowledge so i hope it helps.. i have had this issue with practically ever older Honda i had, except on really hot days. it was the Main Relay on all of them, super common problem with Honda.

seems like the issue you are having as well, just inverted

Thanks for responding!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a new relay and try to install it tomorrow, even though I have the mechanical skills of a wet noodle.  We'll see how it goes unless anyone else has any different ideas  spider

#4 2010-12-16 23:16:12

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

The pump would have been my first guess, but that's been replaced without fixing the problem.  It'll probably be cheaper to buy the relay and change it than to bring it to the shop for diagnosis.  I'd say go for it.

2005 9-2X Linear --> sold
A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - The most mental bike ever made?
Volvo C30 R-Design w/Polestar tune (Manic pixie crap hatch -- Jalopnik)

#5 2010-12-17 01:22:00

TEMPESTboy
User Number: 4622

Something like this happened to me the other day.  I drove my car for the first time in about a week (walk to work) and I knew I should've taken it more for a spin but I stopped off at the store which is about 2km away.  I came out and the car didn't start (engine would crank but not start).  I also just got a new battery this winter.  I decided to go have a sub at Subway and when I came out after that I gave it a couple more tries and it started up on the second try.

It has started on the first try ever since.  confused

Interested if your fix works.

2005 9-2X Linear 5MT | Cold & Premium Package

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.