saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2012-06-14 15:00:57

KDUB
User Number: 2578

Moving to Utah

Despite the other threads I started when I thought I was moving...this time, it is real.

I will be working near the south entrance to Hill AFB in Ogden, and I would prefer my commute to be 20 minutes or less to my facility.

That being said - a few questions:

From what I have read/researched, Layton/East Layton, South Weber, or anything along the bench is probably best suited for me and my family.

Price range of housing is not too much of a concern, being in a nice area (with good re-sale when it is time to sell), moderately close to amenities (willing to sacrifice a bit of closeness to get yard/views), and proximity to work (20 minutes or less (ish)) are more important.

Before anyone asks, I am not LDS, so if there are specific areas that I indicated I would be looking that may not be the best place for a non-LDS family to move, feel free to let me know  tongue

I have no idea of the traffic patterns near the base, staying on the EAST side of I-15, and trying to stick with a 20 minute or less commute, what other areas do the Utah folk recommend based on my criteria above?

Does anyone have a reputable independent Subaru tech they use that is moderately nearby?

Anyone have recommendations for a good fitness club to join?

As always, thanks in advance for your help/opinions!

1989 Toyota 4x4 Dlx 5MT - Sold to buy a house, 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT - Sold to buy a Dud, 2005 Audi S4 Avant 6MT - Totaled Dud
2001 Merc SLK 320 6MT - The Weekend Ride
2004 Merc E320 4Matic - The New DD

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2012-06-14 17:16:56

Jones
User Number: 2073

Re: Moving to Utah

Ogden ain't the worst place in the world to live--and the east bench of ogden/layton/bountiful is all beautiful with ocean-like views of the Great Salt Lake. The sunsets are epic.
Ogden's average home price is a bit lower than where i am in SLC, so you should be able to find some rad bench locations for under $250k.

I'd recommend aiming for something near a Ogden canyon so you swap your 'fitness club' membership fees for a mountain bike and some trail running shoes. You're moving to the US's new 'outdoor mecca'. Salomon, Petzl, and a ton of other outdoor brands have moved their bases here, recently, and the mountains are incomparably close-to-home and uncrowded.

Snowbasin in Ogden canyon has world-class skiing with regular ghost-town crowd conditions--its never busy. If you dig skiing at all, i'd be sure to take advantage.

I've found most the local subaru-specific shops to be pretty solid since there's such a high density of 'barus in N. utah. Solid Autoworks is a good bet. Also, Cobb based out of SLC, but they treat anyone with a tune <500whp like second-class citizens, so yeah...

Another large thing to keep in mind is proximity to a state liquor store. You can only get 3.2% beer in stores here--no liquor or beer wine. And the State stores are relatively few and far between. http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html

Thats all i got right now.

Last edited by Jones (2012-06-14 17:21:55)

05 Aero MT, Stage 2, ProDrive Shorty, STI cat-back, 20% all-around tint, stock 17-in wheels

#3 2012-06-14 19:11:51

jon_s
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 186

I had a good time there.  I was up in Logan, so I can't comment much on the Ogden area.  It is easy enough to get around though; I made it down to SLC typically once a month.

If you have a nearby state store, I think you'll be pleased with the local beer selection and pricing.  Wasatch and Uinta make some delicious brew.  The 3.2% is by weight, so ~4% by volume, which really isn't bad. Utah has some of the best-tasting weak beer outside of the UK.

Btw, take a drive up through Logan to Bear Lake / Idaho / Wyoming some day. Beautiful!

#4 2012-06-15 14:26:48

KDUB
User Number: 2578

Jones wrote:

Ogden ain't the worst place in the world to live--and the east bench of ogden/layton/bountiful is all beautiful with ocean-like views of the Great Salt Lake. The sunsets are epic.
Ogden's average home price is a bit lower than where i am in SLC, so you should be able to find some rad bench locations for under $250k.

I'd recommend aiming for something near a Ogden canyon so you swap your 'fitness club' membership fees for a mountain bike and some trail running shoes. You're moving to the US's new 'outdoor mecca'. Salomon, Petzl, and a ton of other outdoor brands have moved their bases here, recently, and the mountains are incomparably close-to-home and uncrowded.

Snowbasin in Ogden canyon has world-class skiing with regular ghost-town crowd conditions--its never busy. If you dig skiing at all, i'd be sure to take advantage.

I've found most the local subaru-specific shops to be pretty solid since there's such a high density of 'barus in N. utah. Solid Autoworks is a good bet. Also, Cobb based out of SLC, but they treat anyone with a tune <500whp like second-class citizens, so yeah...

Another large thing to keep in mind is proximity to a state liquor store. You can only get 3.2% beer in stores here--no liquor or beer wine. And the State stores are relatively few and far between. http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html

Thats all i got right now.

Thanks much for the info Jones!

The proximity to club is based on my wife's occupation as a Personal Trainer, she values having those facilities with daycare close.

Really looking forward to ski trips that don't involve I-70!

I have also heard of Solid Autoworks, and their pricing did not seem unreasonable.

The Liquor Store thing could be tricky, we are not big drinkers, but having one fairly close when you need it is nice and nothing seems too close to the bench, looks like along the I-15 corridor is the best place for the state run stores.

Aside from the bench locations, Layton and South Weber, any areas I should AVOID?

Also, any insight into traffic patterns around the base? I know you said you were in SLC, but it never hurts to ask!

Thanks again!

1989 Toyota 4x4 Dlx 5MT - Sold to buy a house, 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT - Sold to buy a Dud, 2005 Audi S4 Avant 6MT - Totaled Dud
2001 Merc SLK 320 6MT - The Weekend Ride
2004 Merc E320 4Matic - The New DD

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.