saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2012-07-08 19:41:55

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Hey all, just bought my Saabaru last week after searching for the right one on the west coast for quite awhile. I'm super stocked to have her, especially since my daily driver was in need of replacing. Below are a few pictures of her and I'll post some as I continue to mod the car.

My Aero's a 5spd, salvage title car which you can see from the picture immediately below, however it only needed hood repair/alignment, new front bumper, passenger headlight and paint for the bumper and hood. It was a steal w/ only 45k miles on it and so far I'm loving it! Repair work was very well done so she looks almost brand new.

On it's way is a Saabaru emblem for my steering wheel.
High on my priority list right now is tint, clear bra to protect the new front paint, and exhaust to get more of the boxer rumble. Any suggestions? Looks like the Sti axleback is popular. My Aero has a catless up-pipe but stock dp and mid-pipe.

Also, I noticed a good number of people have de-badged the car's 92x & Aero badges, but is this something I would want to get into since the car is now 7 years old? Or do I risk having different color paint below/stubborn adhesive?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1743.jpg

After repair work & fresh paint, before I drove her home:
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1755.jpg


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2012-07-08 20:05:02

Psybin
Supporter
Supporter
Registered: 2010-02-12
User Number: 4304
Posts: 1503

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Looks great. Can I ask how much you snagged it for?

Yea an STI axleback will sound nice. Snag an Access Port and Cobb Turbo Back though and just do stage 2 IMO.

*Doesnt have to be a Cobb TBE but they sound and look nice. There are eBay bootlegs of this exhaust, hit NASIOC and read some reviews, see if they are any good.

Last edited by Psybin (2012-07-08 20:07:59)

Offline

 

#3 2012-07-08 22:02:01

Saabarru
Member
From: Vacaville, CA
Registered: 2011-01-18
User Number: 5152
Posts: 193

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

I have An greddy sp2 that I will sale for cheap! I'm also located in the bay area


P&L : Invida  : EQtuned : BC racing coilovers : whiteline & kartboy endlinks : ixizshift2 : ixizhood : ixizPStop : ixizSpedal : ixizBTie

Offline

 

#4 2012-07-08 22:36:53

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4368

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Congratulations!  Looks like a good score.

Now, the fun really begins.  For Sacramento, tint will really help, considering the relatively winpy A/C.  Exhaust?  There are as many different opinions on that as there are owners.  A little more souind without highway droning whouldn't be a problem though.  I'm trying to make that same decision myself on the new car.


2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold
A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
1991 Miata w/Hard top while this gets fixed -> Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter

Offline

 

#5 2012-07-08 22:56:14

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
From: Atlanta, GA
Registered: 2005-11-05
User Number: 886
Posts: 5666
Website

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Stage 2 is in your view
And i have all the parts you need  wink


05' Black Aero 92x     MY mods
IxizConcept  --  Ixiz performance components designed specifically for 92x / Subaru's  facebook=ixizconcept

Offline

 

#6 2012-07-09 00:42:12

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Psybin wrote:

Looks great. Can I ask how much you snagged it for?

Yea an STI axleback will sound nice. Snag an Access Port and Cobb Turbo Back though and just do stage 2 IMO.

*Doesnt have to be a Cobb TBE but they sound and look nice. There are eBay bootlegs of this exhaust, hit NASIOC and read some reviews, see if they are any good.

I got a sweet deal, it was only $7,800. Well below what non-salvage 45k Aero's would go for so I'm glad! I'm somewhat of a newb to tuning these cars still, I thought you had to do stage 1 before doing stage 2 ya? What all does that consist of as far as necessary mods to get that?

Saabarru wrote:

I have An greddy sp2 that I will sale for cheap! I'm also located in the bay area

How much are you looking for the exhaust? PM me or comment back. Is that system a turbo-back set up or what parts would that come with?

lizzardo wrote:

Congratulations!  Looks like a good score.

Now, the fun really begins.  For Sacramento, tint will really help, considering the relatively winpy A/C.  Exhaust?  There are as many different opinions on that as there are owners.  A little more souind without highway droning whouldn't be a problem though.  I'm trying to make that same decision myself on the new car.

Thanks! I'm very excited about it and a lot of things on my mind to make it my own. Ha, the A/C is actually better than my last car's so I'm still enjoying it, but if I'm parked in the sun in Sac it's still no good. Tint is a must have!

ixiz wrote:

Stage 2 is in your view
And i have all the parts you need

Thanks ixiz, I'll definitely hit you up if/when I'm looking to get into that.

Also, to anyone, let me know what you think about de-badging the 'Aero' and 92x'? I really want to but not sure if I'll run into any problems.
The other thing I'm interested in right now is yellow fog lights, if you have them on now, let me know what you're running and if you can reference any threads of how-to that'd be good! Already did a quick search on it. Is it possible to have the fogs stay on with the daytime lights?


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

#7 2012-07-09 01:57:40

anaya661
Mechanical Animal
From: Bakersfield,California
Registered: 2010-04-24
User Number: 4481
Posts: 896

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

West coast neighbor to the north  banana car looks great.

Last edited by anaya661 (2012-07-23 03:13:54)


2005 9-2x 2.5i Auto/6 Disc/35%F 55%R       
1991 Acura Legend 5MT

Offline

 

#8 2012-07-09 05:49:29

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

I'll start by saying I don't know about debadging. You can go directly to stage 2. All stage 1 is is a reflash. You don't need anything other than an accessport. For stage 2 you need at least a new downpipe and then use the accessport to flash to a stage 2 map. Many of us have just gone with a full turbo back exhaust setup. Much less restrictive than stock. Recommended. I have a MadDad Whisper and is IMHO, the best DD exhaust on the market. No drone and isn't a melon cannon.


'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#9 2012-07-09 11:38:55

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

norcal9two wrote:

I'll start by saying I don't know about debadging. You can go directly to stage 2. All stage 1 is is a reflash. You don't need anything other than an accessport. For stage 2 you need at least a new downpipe and then use the accessport to flash to a stage 2 map. Many of us have just gone with a full turbo back exhaust setup. Much less restrictive than stock. Recommended. I have a MadDad Whisper and is IMHO, the best DD exhaust on the market. No drone and isn't a melon cannon.

Are you still running it w/ cats? Also, since you say you're running a full turbo exhaust, what is your downpipe? Mad-dad? or are you just using the MadDad Whisper axleback? Ha, and ya definitely not looking for a coffee can muffler. Did you go to 3" or is that just keeping it 2.5? That's the stock size on Aero's ya?


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

#10 2012-07-09 14:05:33

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

ikbrown wrote:

norcal9two wrote:

I'll start by saying I don't know about debadging. You can go directly to stage 2. All stage 1 is is a reflash. You don't need anything other than an accessport. For stage 2 you need at least a new downpipe and then use the accessport to flash to a stage 2 map. Many of us have just gone with a full turbo back exhaust setup. Much less restrictive than stock. Recommended. I have a MadDad Whisper and is IMHO, the best DD exhaust on the market. No drone and isn't a melon cannon.

Are you still running it w/ cats? Also, since you say you're running a full turbo exhaust, what is your downpipe? Mad-dad? or are you just using the MadDad Whisper axleback? Ha, and ya definitely not looking for a coffee can muffler. Did you go to 3" or is that just keeping it 2.5? That's the stock size on Aero's ya?

I only have 1 cat now. Passed smog this year. I bought a full cat less Whisper turbo back, but didn't want to run the catless down pipe, so I bought a catted Titek. Yeah it's a full 3 inch but looks incredibly subtle. Stock is 2 1/4 I believe. I'll take pictures and video and send em you way today.


'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#11 2012-07-09 15:48:21

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
From: South Carolina
Registered: 2007-04-06
User Number: 1944
Posts: 8011

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

ikdesertsilvermetallic, not ikbrown  spider


2005 Aero 5MT currently car-less

Offline

 

#12 2012-07-09 16:28:46

Grey92-x
Member
From: Castiac CA
Registered: 2012-04-16
User Number: 7187
Posts: 3

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Car looks Great, Good find! Dealer or was it private party?

Offline

 

#13 2012-07-09 18:38:00

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

norcal9two wrote:

I only have 1 cat now. Passed smog this year. I bought a full cat less Whisper turbo back, but didn't want to run the catless down pipe, so I bought a catted Titek. Yeah it's a full 3 inch but looks incredibly subtle. Stock is 2 1/4 I believe. I'll take pictures and video and send em you way today.

Great, that'd be cool if you could send that over! I've definitely got a lot to look into w/ exhaust. I'd love to go to 3'' if possible when I get some funds for it!

@Krazykarguy: ya I created my account before I bought the car to search and everything, I should change it to something more appropriate now that I have one!

@Grey 92-x: it was a private party. He found me through an ad I had up on Saablink.net too. His name's Aaron and he runs Saab & Subaru Parts (S&S Parts) down in LA. http://www.saabandsubaruparts.com. Check out his site, he was super knowledgable about our cars and his main business is parting Saab and Subaru's but this one was too close to drive able for him to part it. To my benefit now cuz it's a great car! I'm definitely gonna buy parts from him in the future.

Last edited by ikbrown (2012-07-09 18:56:18)


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

#14 2012-07-10 01:46:19

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Sorry man, was too lazy to cut em. Here they are. Sorry for the less than ideal quality. If you want any other let me know.




'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#15 2012-07-10 16:13:59

Jones
Member
Registered: 2007-05-30
User Number: 2073
Posts: 347

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

arrow-up high-fives for the High5 T.


05 Aero MT, Stage 2, ProDrive Shorty, STI cat-back, 20% all-around tint, stock 17-in wheels

Offline

 

#16 2012-07-10 22:28:53

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

norcal9two wrote:

Sorry man, was too lazy to cut em. Here they are. Sorry for the less than ideal quality. If you want any other let me know

High five for the MUDFLAPS!! Ha, not sure if thats my look but i dig it. You don't have any tint do u? What r u using to lower it? Stance looks good and not too low to be too much form over function. Thanks for making the videos, ha no worries bout not cutting it. I dig the sound of that system, others w/ MadDad vids on YouTube sound good too. And not too loud to attract unnecessary attention from po-pos. ha.


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

#17 2012-07-11 00:36:17

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Jones wrote:

arrow-up high-fives for the High5 T.

It's a great foundation man  up


'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#18 2012-07-11 00:41:04

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

ikbrown wrote:

norcal9two wrote:

Sorry man, was too lazy to cut em. Here they are. Sorry for the less than ideal quality. If you want any other let me know

High five for the MUDFLAPS!! Ha, not sure if thats my look but i dig it. You don't have any tint do u? What r u using to lower it? Stance looks good and not too low to be too much form over function. Thanks for making the videos, ha no worries bout not cutting it. I dig the sound of that system, others w/ MadDad vids on YouTube sound good too. And not too loud to attract unnecessary attention from po-pos. ha.

That was the first thing I did to keep a bit of the grime off from winters in the Sierra. Nope, no tint. I'm on Epic springs. I think a few other members are on them as well. I love them. Stiffer than stock, but not as much as the prodrives, but give a similar stance. Little bit of forward rake, which I love. That's the exact reason I went with them. Low enough but still functional. Yeah, just cruising and at idle the system is very quiet, but when you put your foot in it, it comes alive.


'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#19 2012-07-22 20:28:41

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
From: Fair Oaks, CA
Registered: 2011-10-06
User Number: 6094
Posts: 4760

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Overdue for an update so here are the few things I've done since getting the car:

Saabaru sticker for my steering wheel:
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1829.jpg

New shoes! Hankook Evo's. Old tires were in desperate need of replacement
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1786.jpg

In the shop w/ my other beasty, the '68 Dodge Charger.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1844.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/ikbrown89/IMG_1849.jpg

Up next will be tint & I'm debating de-bading as well clear-bra for the front bumper once the paint sets some more.

Last edited by ikbrown (2012-07-22 20:31:24)


2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

Offline

 

#20 2012-07-22 21:06:33

Psybin
Supporter
Supporter
Registered: 2010-02-12
User Number: 4304
Posts: 1503

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Sweet garage and nice little weight area! I'd love to have a powerrack at home. If you cant make it to the gym you can go do a bunch of compound movements.

Offline

 

#21 2012-07-22 21:51:28

LordZed
ImaChris
Supporter
From: Marietta, GA
Registered: 2011-01-24
User Number: 5169
Posts: 3038

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

Nice  92x and nice Charger  up

Offline

 

#22 2012-07-23 02:58:18

norcal9two
Member
From: Fremont, CA now Seattle, WA
Registered: 2010-08-26
User Number: 4790
Posts: 1435

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

+1 for the garage and Charger. Very nice set up! And good on ya for framing the Blue Moon  embeer


'05 DSM Aero 5mt
Stage 2 | Titek | Maddad | Epic | BBS | StopTech

Offline

 

#23 2012-07-23 03:32:57

2JZ
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
User Number: 5647
Posts: 1771

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

lizzardo wrote:

Congratulations!  Looks like a good score.

Now, the fun really begins.  For Sacramento, tint will really help, considering the relatively winpy A/C.  Exhaust?  There are as many different opinions on that as there are owners.  A little more souind without highway droning whouldn't be a problem though.  I'm trying to make that same decision myself on the new car.

is this an aero problem? My linear's A/C in unmatched. I've been in lots of cars, even a $120,000 brand new 7 series cannot compare to my linears A/C. Sometimes I play a game where I see who can last the longest with the A/C blowing on full blast. It's seriously that cold.


2005 Saab 9-2x STi 6MT
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT
2006 Saab 9-2x Linear 5MT

Offline

 

#24 2012-07-23 03:38:37

2JZ
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
User Number: 5647
Posts: 1771

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

norcal9two wrote:

Sorry man, was too lazy to cut em. Here they are. Sorry for the less than ideal quality. If you want any other let me know.

as nice as the boxer rumble sounds, i don't know how people like this. If you can hear a car idle like that it's to loud imo  down


2005 Saab 9-2x STi 6MT
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT
2006 Saab 9-2x Linear 5MT

Offline

 

#25 2012-07-23 05:13:24

anaya661
Mechanical Animal
From: Bakersfield,California
Registered: 2010-04-24
User Number: 4481
Posts: 896

Re: Ikbrown's '05 Aero

2JZ wrote:

lizzardo wrote:

Congratulations!  Looks like a good score.

Now, the fun really begins.  For Sacramento, tint will really help, considering the relatively winpy A/C.  Exhaust?  There are as many different opinions on that as there are owners.  A little more souind without highway droning whouldn't be a problem though.  I'm trying to make that same decision myself on the new car.

is this an aero problem? My linear's A/C in unmatched. I've been in lots of cars, even a $120,000 brand new 7 series cannot compare to my linears A/C. Sometimes I play a game where I see who can last the longest with the A/C blowing on full blast. It's seriously that cold.

Is it 108 in your town? My AC battled it out today even with it being fully shaded in the car port. I couldn't get past the clammy feeling to something comfortable till evening. I reckon this would be fighting weather for most ACs though!

Last edited by anaya661 (2012-07-23 05:18:37)


2005 9-2x 2.5i Auto/6 Disc/35%F 55%R       
1991 Acura Legend 5MT

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.