saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2005-11-14 22:16:20

rdy4flt
92x Pilot
Supporter
User Number: 123

Re: Comprehensive list of differences between 92X and WRX/Impreza

We don't have projector driving lights  confused

2010 Lexus RX450H  Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Pkg 
05' 92x Aero 5spd - Arctic Silver - 235whp/239wtq - TRADED IN on 8/10/12

"To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything."   - Otto Lilienthal -

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2005-12-25 10:01:52

isis
I Quit.
Supporter
User Number: 931

rjc1976 wrote:

Those pictures compare the 2004 WRX with the 2005 9-2X.  I imaging a 2005 WRX would be the same under the hood as ours.  Not counting cosmetic stuff, the 2005 WRX has the changes that our cars have.

Actually, the WRX didn't get most of the stuff till 2006.

And our steering rack is from 2005.

The Stupidity Is Overwhelming. It Has Taken Over.

#28 2005-12-25 10:03:55

isis
I Quit.
Supporter

agent_grey wrote:

can the aero swap front ends with a wrx sedan.

anybody know... cause I am seriously thinking about getting a high mileage sedan, painting it satin grey and swapping front ends.

you have to change cross members and other things. not sure about the headlight wiring if you have HIDs, WRX's don't have them (STi's do.)

You'll need wagon cross-members, not the sedan. If you do the sedan, there's a lot more work b/c it's got a wider front track.

#29 2005-12-25 10:05:23

isis
I Quit.
Supporter

Charlie Watts wrote:

I'm looking at getting a custom underseat subwoofer box - there's a fellow on nasioc that sells a nice (if expensive) unit for the WRX passenger seat.

Can anybody tell me if the underseat area is the same between our cars and the wrx? Any rail/frame/seat differences underneath?

If nobody is sure, I'll swing by the Subaru dealer and take a peek. Thanks!

Yes, same amount of underseat room.

#30 2006-01-13 20:45:52

coooool

coooooool

#31 2006-04-12 21:59:04

iamorfus
User Number: 1099

BSlickOH wrote:

One thing I can't seem to find any information on is the paint quality.  The Imprezas (probably Subarus in general) are notorious for thin paint that chips easily.  I've had Stongards put on my current and previous WRX's, but am not sure that I really want to spend the money this time.  Does the 9-2X have a better paint job, or should I plan on finding a way to get Stongard again?

I had some valet guys back my car into a pole - there was the smallest dent about an inch from the rear tail light, but that was enough to cause about a 2-3 inch strip of paint to flake off to bare metal right where the quarter panel folds back behing the tail light.  Other than what flaked off I didn't have any further chipping or flaking...  scraped the hell out of the bumper too...

#32 2006-07-28 14:02:22

williaty
User Number: 1235

I own a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and my fiancee is about to buy a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i.  Then we saw the $5k cash back from Saab and went, "Hmmmmmm...".  I read about the nicer suspension bits in this thread.  Do you guys know if only the Aero gets the uprated bits or if the Linear does too?

#33 2006-07-28 14:12:48

AbACUZ
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 839
Website

confused confused confused  upgraded carpeting  confused confused confused

HAHAHHAH !!!

please remove that ... out carpets are cheaper than used floor mats at a junk yard !!

#34 2006-07-28 14:13:36

Snaab9-2
Your Arms Off
User Number: 283

I am fairly sure just about all of the nicer suspension bits are limited to the Aero (STI steering rack, stiffer springs, and bigger rear sway bar than on the Linear).

05 Red SAAB 9-2 Aero 5 Speed: AP Stage 2 93 - FHI 20mm Rear Sway Bar - Stromung Shorty DP - STI UP - STI Axle Back

#35 2006-07-28 14:15:07

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

AbACUZ wrote:

confused confused confused  upgraded carpeting  confused confused confused

HAHAHHAH !!!

please remove that ... out carpets are cheaper than used floor mats at a junk yard !!

At least no junkyard dog has pissed all over my car yet.  Though there was a fnky odor when I passed out in the back seat that time....   neutral

#36 2006-09-08 10:30:35

MaleModeler
Am i kicking you? In my head i am.
User Number: 786

Wallew wrote:

ScoobyAerodude,

6 Disc In-dash CD Changer optional on Linear (n/a on Impreza Outback Sport)

THIS IS NOT QUITE CORRECT.  My wife DOES have the 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon SE. 

It's the SE (Special Edition) that gets you the following:

Rear Spoiler, Armrest extension
260 Watt audio System w/6-Disc CD, Subwoofer and 6 upgraded speakers
Autodimming mirror/compass

SO the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon CAN COME with the 6-disc changer.  You just need the Special edition package that lists for $1500, but on the wifes car, they discounted that by $1000 ON THE STICKER, so the actual price was $500!

Hope that helps...

Also, in another thread about DRL's apparently there is a difference between the Aero and the Subaru Sport Wagon.  On my wifes car, you flip the parking light switch to get the DRL's.  Apparently this is not true on a Aero with HID's.  Go figure.  At least that's what Parker1974 replied in that thread to my posting that Subies do use that switch to turn DRL's on and off.

same deal here... my wife has the 2006 Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport Wagon SE with the same 6cd subwoofer sound system and autodimming mirror/compass.... we joke that we could make one car with everything we want in it if we combine the 2... she wants my heated seats/mirrors/wipers, i want her sound system, etc...

2005 Black Linear 92x
2009 Black Subaru Forester

#37 2007-01-14 10:36:44

Georonimo
92x dreamin'
User Number: 1734
Website

what about the electronics? Is it all basically subaru stuff but with saab part numbers?

#38 2007-01-14 11:16:25

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
Website

Georonimo wrote:

what about the electronics? Is it all basically subaru stuff but with saab part numbers?

Other than the different skin, I think most parts still have Subaru part numbers.  I had to replace the fog light surround trim, which I thought was specific to the Saab, but it came in a Subaru box.

#39 2007-01-14 11:48:10

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

Azrael wrote:

I had to replace the fog light surround trim, which I thought was specific to the Saab, but it came in a Subaru box.

Probably because Subaru makes the parts for Saab.  I've gotten a few parts where the only thing done was a Saab sticker with the Saab part number was placed over the Subaru part number.

#40 2007-01-14 13:12:20

Someguy
I'm out
Supporter
User Number: 983

Azrael wrote:

Georonimo wrote:

Other than the different skin, I think most parts still have Subaru part numbers.  I had to replace the fog light surround trim, which I thought was specific to the Saab, but it came in a Subaru box.

The power window switches are made by Nissan.  I had horrible flashbacks of the electronics in my old nissan when I saw that.

2002 WRX, 2016 JK, 2005 XL1200R, 2017 Z125

#41 2007-01-16 09:49:53

Georonimo
92x dreamin'
User Number: 1734
Website

So pretty much any electrical gadgets made for the wrx/sti's should be plug and play with these cars?
If so thats awesome. A low key car with a super strong (and comprehensive) aftermarket! I need one of these! big_smile

Someguy wrote:

Azrael wrote:

Georonimo wrote:

The power window switches are made by Nissan.  I had horrible flashbacks of the electronics in my old nissan when I saw that.

Some older subarus have a bunch of electronics marked "Mitsubishi"... Talk about electrical horror stories! (ex- first gen turbo Eclipse owner)

#42 2007-03-11 16:37:32

duck_man
User Number: 274

I can't take credit for the comparison list - I 'control-c'd' the list ...  I think from this forum????

#43 2007-03-12 17:03:39

Prairie Dawg
User Number: 1849

agent_grey wrote:

can the aero swap front ends with a wrx sedan.

anybody know... cause I am seriously thinking about getting a high mileage sedan, painting it satin grey and swapping front ends.

Yes, the parts are interchangable.  But, the sedan has a wider track, so your wheels will be recessed more than you'd probably like.  Also, the rest of the car looks kinda funny without flares in the rear...IMHO.  There are a few WRX Wagons rolling around in sedan sheet metal.  You can probably find pics of one on NASIOC.

'02 WRX Wagon, COBB Stage II

#44 2007-06-15 20:46:38

92XLOVER
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 1856

Charlie,
As far as i know, i cant tell you if the same or not.(no idea) but what i can tell you, is that there is plenty of room under seats.(driver and pass.) it wouldn't be hard to make a small box and put it under the pass. seat and maybe the amp under the drivers???  thats how im thinking of doing my set up. the skys the limit when it come to custom fabrication! take out your pass. seat after you find how much height you have to work with. (measure while its in the car). and then take the other dimensions. ie- length, width. put them all together, and you have a custom sub box. after you have the measurements, then comes finding the right sub. Good luck buddy! hope this was somewhat useful. if not, sorry.

05 9-2X Aero, Loaded, IxizHood

#45 2007-09-11 19:42:14

albertsatx85
User Number: 2250

quick question.. the 05 linear model has the steering column (rack and pinion)? and what type of suspension upgrade is there? ive noticed they lowered in just a hair, in the rear. and it is quite smoother than an impreza. but if i buy some endura-tech coilovers will my ride enhance its self to a SAAB comfort level? or how can i get the best european suspension handling out of the japanese style? tein makes "euro dampers" or what would yall recomend?

'05 Linear- Black,  AT, Leather, Polk DB Series Front and Rear Door Speakers, 2 10" Polk Momo 600W Max Subwoofers, Boss 2 Ch. 800Wx1 400Wx2  Amplifier, Falken Zien Tires

#46 2008-01-03 17:01:34

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter
User Number: 2118

is the sti steering rack only on the 92x aero or on all? is that the same for all the better handling things?

FHI 20mm RSB - USDM STI Pink Springs - Tokico D-Spec - Powder Coated Wheels - Paranoid Fab Ground Kit - STI Exhaust  - STI 5mt trans mount - 15% tint - KB Sub-Frame Lock Kit - Paranoid Fab Cowl Stay - STI Eng mounts -

#47 2008-01-03 17:07:17

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

iamorfus wrote:

BSlickOH wrote:

One thing I can't seem to find any information on is the paint quality.  The Imprezas (probably Subarus in general) are notorious for thin paint that chips easily.  I've had Stongards put on my current and previous WRX's, but am not sure that I really want to spend the money this time.  Does the 9-2X have a better paint job, or should I plan on finding a way to get Stongard again?

I had some valet guys back my car into a pole - there was the smallest dent about an inch from the rear tail light, but that was enough to cause about a 2-3 inch strip of paint to flake off to bare metal right where the quarter panel folds back behing the tail light.  Other than what flaked off I didn't have any further chipping or flaking...  scraped the hell out of the bumper too...

paint on this car sucks just as bad as on the subaru. any little thing that touches my car leaves a scratch. even after i put two layers of wax on it. you can brush against it with your key in your pocket and it will leave a mark. my dad accdentally rubed the little plastic straw in plastic gas cans on my car when he was putting some gas in it one time. left a bad scratch that wont go away. the other thing that sucks is that the paint on the front bumper is starting to flake and crack off.

FHI 20mm RSB - USDM STI Pink Springs - Tokico D-Spec - Powder Coated Wheels - Paranoid Fab Ground Kit - STI Exhaust  - STI 5mt trans mount - 15% tint - KB Sub-Frame Lock Kit - Paranoid Fab Cowl Stay - STI Eng mounts -

#48 2008-01-06 18:15:17

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

so uh... any one find out if the sti steering rack is on aero only or on both aero and linear?

#49 2008-01-06 18:20:33

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
Website

I believe it's only on the Aero.

#50 2008-01-06 19:22:19

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

aerosmith wrote:

Trace, Fishnut from Montreal told me on  a forum that Canada has block heaters on all 92x's, its located in the recess of your front grill on the driver side. I looked and there it was on mine.I only have cold package-so I assume its on all U.S." colds."I bought mine in Endicott,N.Y.. Can other U.S. cold package owners check theirs and post a reply to this topic. The dealer did not mention anything about a block heater on my Aero

I bought my car from the Endicott, NY dealer (was the only one there, no longer. They've been absorbed by a megamonolith stealership network), no mention of the block heater. Guess I'll have to go look tomorrow.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.