saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-15 13:17:17

aca2983
User Number: 202

Let's Talk About Tires, All-Season, a little snow (repost)

Sorry all, I accidently deleted this thread!

I was able to page back and re-paste in the original post. If you want to repost your replies, please do.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bill

----------

I have 9.2x Linear Auto with stock wheels.

Anyone planning to replace their stock Bridgestone RE92's? I have read in many sources that they are awful. The also have a very low treadwear warranty, 190 I think. The tread pattern itself looks very old-school, like something you'd get for 39.95 at Wal-Mart.

I live in an area that gets some snow, not a ton, but I do live on a hill. On my old car (Mazda Protege5) I did get winter tires and rims, which I only used one season (this past season). They're great, but I don't think they would fit the 9-2x (195/65/14). They are Nokian NRW's.

Because of the AWD, I am inclined to just go with a good all-season tire with good winter performance. I do not plan on upgrading  my wheels. The stock 205-55-16 size offers a very wide range of tires, from touring to high-performance.  I drive conservatively, so my taste is towards a tire with good handling, long life, good winter & rain performance, and not rock-hard. However, I know all tires are a study in compromises.....

Suggestions?

FORMER OWNER Linear, AT, Red, Cold, Mnrf, Cloth, bone-stock but upgraded with 6-CD, OEM sub, compass mirror, cuphldr, arm ext., WRX roof rails, roof and pillar sound deadening.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-06-15 13:46:08

Andrew
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 80

Re: Let's Talk About Tires, All-Season, a little snow (repost)

I was leaning towards a set of 16" rims with Blizzarks.  My brother is a huge fan of them on his Quattro, and I know these OEM tires will not do the trick.  I travel to NE a lot, so it is time to actually invest in real snow tires.

2005 silver car

#3 2005-06-15 13:54:19

SoobAeroDude
Arctic Silver 9-2X Aero, Cold Pkg
Supporter
User Number: 22
Website

For great performance and value for an all season, take a look at the Falken Ziex 512's.  You should be able to pick them up for $85-$99 per tire.

#4 2005-06-15 15:44:27

joefrompa
User Number: 214

From what I've read and heard, the continental contiextremes are your best bet for everything. Well priced, good all-weather, ultra high performance, and decent treadwear while maintaining low weight.

Trade-offs seem to be flatspotting in the cold and (possibly) a little more likely to bubble in the sidewall from potholes/ruts.

Available in a wide variety of sizes, I'll probably get them for the 9-2x when I can talk my fiance/wife into it "But hun....these tires suck and I want new tires!"

9-2x Arctic Silver Aero 5-spd. 20% tint all around. 7000+ miles...20mm Rear Sway Bar sitting in a garage waiting for time to install

#5 2005-06-15 21:43:12

SilverSubaab
User Number: 128

I had the Continental Conti Extreme Contact All seasons on my last car and would never buy them again.  All in all, they did great in the snow.  The problem was that no matter how many times I had them mounted and balanced they were always messed up.  The were not perfectly round, they flat-spotted all the time, the sidewalls were mush, they had a ton of rolling resistance, I lost like 2 mpg when I had these on from other tires I ran, etc..  I really did not like the feel of them and would never recommend them to anyone despite their great rating on Tirerack.com.

07 Subaru WRX TR
WRB

#6 2005-06-16 00:09:41

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

SilverSubaab wrote:

they had a ton of rolling resistance, I lost like 2 mpg when I had these on from other tires I ran, etc..

FWIW, I've found that almost all dedicated snow tires have a ton of rolling resistance.  That goes for the Bridgestone Blizzaks, Pirelli 190P and 210P, Dunlop WinterSport M2, Conti Contact Extreme, Nokian, Haks, and Yokohama Guardex that I've used over the years.

My favorite of all of these have been the Dunlop WinterSport M2s.  Great combination of snow traction, handling, and quietness.

#7 2005-06-16 00:36:35

yogi92x
User Number: 228

I have the Falken Ziexs on my WRX and they are awesome.  Great performance in wet and dry and they do the job in the snow.  I thought they were the 215s but maybe im dyslexic and they are the 512s.  They are their all-season.  Ive also read great reviews on the Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S.  FWIW.

2005 Black Aero Luxury and Cold big_smile

Other ride: 2006 Corvette Z06 mad

#8 2005-06-16 00:40:35

aca2983

I have heard very mixed opinions regarding Falken. Some people thing they're the greatest, some think they're absolute crap.

Before I traded my Protege5, I had JUST put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009s, which weren't bad.  Actually the were free, since the charge has not yet appeared on my online credit card statement, after more than a month :-)

I am giving thought to the Nokian WR. It is an all-season, but with strong winter performance. It has the "severe service" emblem on it (snowflake & mountain), yet it is warranted for 50k miles, and can be left on year round.  I had these as my winter tires for my Protege5. They were a bit squishy, and didn't handle so great on dry pavement, but that maybe due to the fact that I used a 195-65-14 when the stock tires for that car are 195-50-16. That's quite a difference in sidewall, but I did appreciate the smoother ride. The tires were also very quiet, much quieter than the stock Dunlop Sport 5000s and I suffered no gas mileage penalty, it actually improved.

I've seen a few Subaru forums where people have used the WR and liked it.  I'm wondering if year-round dry pavement handling will be good enough for me. I'm not a speed racer, this is my daily driver/commuter car.

While I like the AWD and ABS that the 9-2x has, I like the fact that a good winter-ish tire gives you added lateral stablity and improved braking.  This time around though, I want to only have one set of wheels, so I want to pick that one set carefully.

FORMER OWNER Linear, AT, Red, Cold, Mnrf, Cloth, bone-stock but upgraded with 6-CD, OEM sub, compass mirror, cuphldr, arm ext., WRX roof rails, roof and pillar sound deadening.

#9 2005-06-16 07:27:10

parker
User Number: 149

After driving my Jeep year-round with all-season tires, I made a vow to get proper snow tires on my next car. They make a big difference when dealing with the 8 months of winter that we get up here. roll I'm planning on picking up some Nokian snow tires and mounting them on my stock 16s for the winter after seeing how well my friend's Jetta handled with Nokians a few winters ago.

2005 9-2x Aero (Arctic Silver) MT/Cold
2021 Kia Niro EV EX Premium

#10 2005-06-16 08:35:17

rod442
User Number: 36

I sell tires part time (10 years +).  Continentals are pretty crappy tires.

Look at BFG traction ta's (great tire), or michelin sport a/s (ditto), for a performance all season.

When these tires wear out on my car I will replace them with one of the 2 above tires.

12 ZX-14R   XCLR8
05 9-2x       SAABARU
00 Formula  INCONTT
88 Mustang  5LTR LX

#11 2005-06-16 11:04:12

FastWagon
User Number: 180

how good/bad are the stock tires on the Aero?  I plan to bring this car up to Tahoe, and while AWD helps you go better, it doesn't help you stop any better if the tires aren't good in snow.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT
Satin Gray Metallic
Cold Weather Package
Cobb AP Stage 1, Prodrive shift knob

#12 2005-06-16 11:41:58

joefrompa
User Number: 214

I have had bf goodrich traction t/a's v speed rated on my volvo 850 turbo for about 8000 miles....my volvo has a slightly tweaked frame...

I will say this about them. They don't balance out perfectly, but can get pretty damn close. They don't have a centered feel because from 205 width up they have no continuous tread. And mine exacerbate a pull to the right, as proven with rotation and from previous tires (probably caused by the frame bend).

They got me through EVERYTHING in the winter with no problems. Steep hills with plowed and unplowed snow, ice, wet...not a single problem all winter. And I got into some sticky situations where sliding would've resulted in an accident. I even deliberately drove into piles of snow and ice to test the limits of the car. No problems.

Same on wet and in the dry. I've never lost traction, even when I've slammed the gas while making a sharp turn from a stop. You'll feel some slight spinning but you're launching.

But, they are not that comfortable, moderate noise, and not a good straight line feel. I would not buy them again personally...but they do live up to their name, great all season traction.

9-2x Arctic Silver Aero 5-spd. 20% tint all around. 7000+ miles...20mm Rear Sway Bar sitting in a garage waiting for time to install

#13 2005-06-16 12:42:43

rod442

about the traction ta's, I have them on my mustang; and I do not notice any of the issue's (wandering, pull etc) that joe from pa, is mentioning.

however DO take his experience about them in the snow; as I cant comment on that.  car is parked from dec to april or so.  lol.  In the rain however, I can comment.  They are awesome, the car was downright unsafe on wet pavement with radial ta's on it, and I am no stranger to high hp rear wheel drive vehicles.  My firebird has 550 rwhp and 600 tq, and the stang with the other bfg's on it was scary do drive.  switched tires, now I have all the traction I could want in a car with 1/3 the hp.

12 ZX-14R   XCLR8
05 9-2x       SAABARU
00 Formula  INCONTT
88 Mustang  5LTR LX

#14 2005-06-16 13:22:13

purduealum91
User Number: 5

Rod,

Are these the  BFGs youa re talking about?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp … mpare1=yes

I ask because one reviewer says they arent that great in the snow.  Thanks!

Red Saab 9-2X Aero 5 speed with cold package, rear cup holder, autodimming mirror with compass and homelink, trunk tray, cargo mat, kartboy short shifter and bushings, Silver Subaru Din Pcket, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 93 Octane v1.3, tinted windows (55% front, limo rear), Pioneer P4700MP head unit with Pioneer iPod adapter, APS uppipe and APS Turbo Back Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat
I drive only 5!

#15 2005-06-16 13:29:35

JimH
User Number: 224

FastWagon wrote:

how good/bad are the stock tires on the Aero?  I plan to bring this car up to Tahoe, and while AWD helps you go better, it doesn't help you stop any better if the tires aren't good in snow.

I agree that while AWD helps you get going, you are no better off than a RWD or FWD car when it comes to stopping or turning.  There the tires make all the difference.  The knock against the RE92s with the WRX crowd is that they are mediocre performance tires.  I plan on trying them next winter on my trips from Long Island to Vermont.  If I am unhappy I will switch to winter tires.  I had a set of mounted Dunlop M2s on my previous FWD car and liked them.  Decent dry perfomance with very good snow traction.

2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
2005 9-2X Aero, Arctic Silver, manual trans, cold package. SOLD!!

#16 2005-06-16 14:28:17

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

When I had a original (1990) Subaru Legacy Wagon (beater car, renovating a Condo), I replace it's tires with BFG
Traction T/A's based upon reviews on TireRack's website. When they were first put on the car, I thought, "these
things are mush" (I am an aggressive driver, with a couple of SCCA Regional Championships under my belt), but
as they broke in they turned out to be really a very nice compromise tire. Decent dry, wet and surprisingly (I don't believe in "all-seasons") snow traction, especially if you're only doing snow work on local roads. Made the car (in heavy
snow) abit tail happy, but in a fun way (although you could, under drop throttle, cause yourself to spin out, rally style), and it would be slightly more so on the 9-2X due to the shorter wheelbase. But overall, a strongly suggested all-season tire that is truely, All-Season. Weared well, too. Other's I've suggested the tire to are quite happy with them, although that only happened this spring so the tires haven't seen snow yet. I do run dedicated snows on my Audi (and will on the 9-2X Aero) but that's also because I run summer tires only for the other three seasons, and those won't work in snow, AWD or not. As for the RE-92s, they totally suck. Consider they were OEM on the 1990 Legacy and they sucked then. Even my dad (whom I bought the Legacy from) dumped the RE92's early (like within 2 years) and he was a conservative driver.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#17 2005-06-16 17:35:34

rod442

the traction ta's that we are referring to are these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp … on+T%2FA+H

12 ZX-14R   XCLR8
05 9-2x       SAABARU
00 Formula  INCONTT
88 Mustang  5LTR LX

#18 2005-06-16 18:27:32

mainer
User Number: 144

Living where competent snow travel is a must, and where the dreaded "wintry mix" is the most common winter affliction, I'm a strong believer in the proposition that an extra set of rims and real snow tires are the only way to go.

Last year my SAAB dealer offered a terrific deal on BBS rims and  Winterforce snows for my 9.5; the tires were close to free.  I'm hoping for something similar this fall for the 9.2x.  If not, I plan to get a set of Nokian Hakka Q's and some rota rims, and then when the Bridgestone's wear out, replace them with a set of Yokahama ES 100's.

05 Aero w/ cold & sport, Satin Gray, winter mods w Nokian Hakka WR's; Pirelli P-Zero Nero's for 3 seasons; KYB-AGX's; 20mm FHI RSB w Helix endlinks

#19 2005-06-17 00:06:24

izzy
User Number: 203

On my Impreza RS, i run Nokian WR in the winter and have been very, very happy with them. They are all seasons (the only one with the winter flake) but they are excellent in winter conditions - on par with the Pilot Alpins i had on previously. They are good on tarmac too.
Since my 92x is also 205/55/16 i can reuse my trusty nokians on my Saabaru smile
Oh and i gave away the RE92s that came with my RS for free. 'nuff said!

Last edited by izzy (2005-06-17 00:09:43)

05 Aero 5spd - Satin Grey

#20 2005-06-17 09:36:41

aca2983

Hi Izzy,
On your Impreza do you know you if you have H-Rated or V-rated Nokian WR's?? Would you feel comfortable with their handling if you used them all year?

I had them as my winter tires on my Protege5. Great traction, quiet, but kind of mushy in corners. I was using 195-65-14 T-rated, so I'm guessing that a 205-55-16 V-rated would probably be a lot more crisp.

#21 2005-06-18 21:20:25

izzy
User Number: 203

They're H rated i think, not sure. Come spring time i usually swap them out for my summer tires as they are a bit soft when cornering.

05 Aero 5spd - Satin Grey

#22 2005-06-19 00:14:02

ease27
User Number: 210

yogi92x wrote:

I have the Falken Ziexs on my WRX and they are awesome.  Great performance in wet and dry and they do the job in the snow.  I thought they were the 215s but maybe im dyslexic and they are the 512s.  They are their all-season.  Ive also read great reviews on the Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S.  FWIW.

Im currently using falken ziex 512's on my subaru and it made an amzing difference by just changing tires on this car. When I trade in im going to see if I can re-mount my steelies and keep the wrx rims I have for track days, If not Im just going to buy new tires when I get the car.. thats how big a difference I felt.

#23 2005-06-22 18:13:22

CryderSpeed
User Number: 213

Anyone know about these Avons? 

They have rave reviews on tirerack, but they're really cheap.  The perfect tire?

"I see a line of cars and they're all painted black..."

#24 2005-06-23 17:12:46

JimH
User Number: 224

CryderSpeed wrote:

Anyone know about these Avons? 

They have rave reviews on tirerack, but they're really cheap.  The perfect tire?

I bought a set of 17 inch ASA wheels with Avon 500s mounted.  the 500 is the summer version of the 550.  After 750 miles I am very happy with them.  Good grip, quiet and not too harsh even though they are 225/45-17s.  Great handling improvement over the stock 16 inch RE92s.  Avon is British company known for supplying tires to Rolls Royce and Bentley.  Recently bought by Cooper tire.  Can't comment yet on wear, etc.  I plan on running the RE92s in the winter.

2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
2005 9-2X Aero, Arctic Silver, manual trans, cold package. SOLD!!

#25 2005-06-23 18:55:44

Zem

I run conti extremes in the winter. I like them. They do very well in the snow and they're pretty cheap. I don't consider them a performance tire. When these die I might give Dunlop M3s a try.

In the summer I run Falken Azenis, and I love them. Right now they're bald as hell and I've got another set to go on when I get around to it. These are not top of the line performance tires, but they're just a bit over $100 each. For the price, I don't think they can be beat. The grip is fantabulous. Now, at the track running them on the edge... first they need to warm up a little bit and then they're great. At a reasonable road course, though, you can over heat them so they start getting a bit grippy. I don't think it's a problem, some people do. I come off the track after 6 or 7 laps, they'll go for 10 and complain about melting tires. If you want better, spend a lot more.

If you get caught in snow with Azenis, your best bet is to walk.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.