saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2014-05-16 12:53:51

yungsu
User Number: 3883

Replace bolt seal gromments AND bolts on valve cover?

I just finished up replacing the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets (they were leaking ugh ) on my '05 Saabaru Aero and my mechanic is insisting we replace not only the 16 bolt seal grommets but the bolts as well.  He said he can get the bolts and grommets for $13.99 each which will cost me $223.84  eek.  I'm having a hard time finding the bolts but can get a set of 16 OEM grommets for about $50 online. 
Wondering if anyone on the boards has any experience doing this work before and if you only replaced the grommets and used the old bolts did you have any future problems and do you recommend replacing the grommets and the bolts?  OR am I good to go just replacing the old grommets with new ones?
Thanks!

2005 92X Aero, 5 spd, Black, Premium and Sport Packages, all stock except aftermarket MB Quartz speakers separates front, coax rear

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2014-05-16 13:08:57

Nicholast
ReMember
User Number: 13073

Re: Replace bolt seal gromments AND bolts on valve cover?

I will be doing the same job next week and do not plan on replacing the valve cover bolts.  I do not see why you would replace them though; they are not torque to yield bolts.

2000 A4 1.8T 5MT Stage 2
2001 allroad 2.7T ultra-rare 6MT Stage 1
2005 92x Aero EJ207 V8 swapped 5MT - #3438
2005 Outback XT 5AT Stock

#3 2014-05-16 13:44:30

yungsu

Nicholast wrote:

I will be doing the same job next week and do not plan on replacing the valve cover bolts.  I do not see why you would replace them though; they are not torque to yield bolts.

Thanks Nicholas, OK I'll probably just stick to replacing the grommets.  Do you know anything about also having to replace 4 seals under the pan?  Was looking for the grommets and a guy at autozone told me he has the valve cover set for $80.99 that includes the valve cover gaskets (2), the 16 grommets AND 4 seals.  I know we need to replace 2 oil separator chamber gasket, are the 4 seals the spark plug seals?  Or something else?

2005 92X Aero, 5 spd, Black, Premium and Sport Packages, all stock except aftermarket MB Quartz speakers separates front, coax rear

#4 2014-05-16 13:54:25

Nicholast
ReMember
User Number: 13073

yungsu wrote:

Nicholast wrote:

Thanks Nicholas, OK I'll probably just stick to replacing the grommets.  Do you know anything about also having to replace 4 seals under the pan?  Was looking for the grommets and a guy at autozone told me he has the valve cover set for $80.99 that includes the valve cover gaskets (2), the 16 grommets AND 4 seals.  I know we need to replace 2 oil separator chamber gasket, are the 4 seals the spark plug seals?  Or something else?

Most likely spark plug seals, but man, that's a detail I would want to know before ordering.

FWIW, I just ordered my L & R valve cover gasket set for $60 off Amazon, so better deals can be found if you are okay waiting for them to be shipped.  And the pictures/description eliminate the "what's included" guesswork.

2000 A4 1.8T 5MT Stage 2
2001 allroad 2.7T ultra-rare 6MT Stage 1
2005 92x Aero EJ207 V8 swapped 5MT - #3438
2005 Outback XT 5AT Stock

#5 2014-05-16 14:28:52

yungsu

Nicholast wrote:

yungsu wrote:

Nicholast wrote:

Most likely spark plug seals, but man, that's a detail I would want to know before ordering.

FWIW, I just ordered my L & R valve cover gasket set for $60 off Amazon, so better deals can be found if you are okay waiting for them to be shipped.  And the pictures/description eliminate the "what's included" guesswork.

Yeah pretty sure it's the spark plug seals...I just ordered a valve cover gasket set for about $30 via Rock Auto, includes the  2 gaskets, 4 seals and 16 grommets.  Did you get the Ishino gasket set?
If anyone else is looking get the set it's the DNJ part VC718G at rockauto.com, Don't get it piecemeal like my mechanic did  banghead he's making my life miserable right now don't know why he didn't just order a set that included all the parts to begin with time for a new mechanic.

#6 2014-05-17 19:58:24

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

The valve cover bolts are not supposed to be replaced unless broken.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#7 2014-05-20 19:43:15

kornfeld
Supporter
User Number: 2503

The valve cover bolts are torqued to like 4 ft/lbs or something IIRC.  Whatever value it is, it's very very low.  I would definitely reuse.  Actually, I did reuse.

For each side of the motor, you need a gasket for the whole valve cover, two gaskets for each spark plug hole, the little plastic half-moon things, and the gasket on top for the breather.

And nicholast, you're aware that the set up is different on the EJ207 than on the EJ205, right?  embeer

Der Schuh

#8 2017-03-15 21:52:12

NetG
User Number: 30689

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth … st45033789

DO NOT USE DNJ!!!

The above post is another person who had the exact same problem I did, sadly I didn't find that post until after my belt snapped.  My belt looks just like the persons in that post

IF YOU USED DNJ PARTS STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY until you replace them!  THEY WILL FAIL

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.