saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2015-02-02 20:07:02

phillipk
User Number: 27945

Fair Value on Linear's?

Hi all, I'm searching for a new daily driver since my current beater (91 318is) isn't quite as comfortable to daily and can't get me out to the mountains. I've narrowed my focus down to 03-08 Foresters, 03-07 Impreza's, or the beautiful Saabaru's. It seems like in general the 9-2X's have a slight discount versus a comparable Impreza. And I've found 2 that I'm willing to travel for but am wondering what a fair price is.

#1) Red w/ Winter Package (Leather + Heated Seats), auto, and 95k miles. Dealers ask is $9k!  eek
#2) Black, 84k and manual with an asking of $7500 which is a little more reasonable I think

I thought #2 is relatively reasonable, but from some reading on the forums, it sounds like #2 is asking a little bit too much and #1 would be crazy territory? I'm in California if that makes a difference.

Thanks!  banana

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2015-02-02 20:39:55

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

Re: Fair Value on Linear's?

Apparently there's a discount on apostrophes.

Neither of these are good prices. http://kbb.com has all your answers.

#3 2015-02-02 20:40:18

Bryan
why don't you remember my name?
Supporter
User Number: 1768

If that black manual is in really good shape and well cared for, $6.5k should get it, assuming it's an 06? 

You could easily get another hundred thousand miles out of it.  The only worry is if there's a collision and body panels need replacing...there are precious few body parts out there for the  92x, and the paint is notoriously thin.  So if there's any dings, dents, gouges, or rust - my offer would come down fast.

9k for the auto?  It needs a timing belt, pulleys, water pump, belts in 10k miles - that's within the first year @12,500/yr average driver.  Service costs ~ $1,000.  Same deal with body condition, red was a unique color for both Linear and Aero.  Winter package is pretty nice, I gotta say.  But the automatic?  Yuck.  If it's an 06, leather and winter gets canceled out by the mileage, its worth the same as the other one.

Last edited by Bryan (2015-02-02 20:42:13)

I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

#4 2015-02-02 20:54:06

phillipk
User Number: 27945

iamchris wrote:

Neither of these are good prices. http://kbb.com has all your answers.

Hah, grammar has never been a strength of mine. And from the BMW world kbb / nada do not reflect market prices for some of the low production run models , so I'm wondering if this applies to the 9-2X world as well or if everything in the state of California is over priced. But if blue book is relatively accurate for these cars then I guess I'll consult that for anything that pops up.

Bryan wrote:

If that black manual is in really good shape and well cared for, $7k should get it, assuming it's an 06? 

You could easily get another hundred thousand miles out of it.  The only worry is if there's a collision and body panels need replacing...there are precious few body parts out there for the  92x, and the paint is notoriously thin.  So if there's any dings, dents, gouges, or rust - my offer would come down fast.

9k for the auto?  It needs a timing belt, pulleys, water pump, belts in 10k miles - that's within the first year @12,500/yr average driver.  Service costs ~ $1,000.  Same deal with body condition, red was a unique color for both Linear and Aero.  Winter package is pretty nice, I gotta say.  But the automatic?  Yuck.  If it's an 06, leather and winter gets canceled out by the mileage, its worth the same as the other one.

Both are actually 05 model years. I figure unless it's already been done regardless of the mileage a timing belt would be due (isn't t-belt like 105k miles / 10 years?). Black manual is a 2 owner and the one I'd have to travel for. Are the auto's really that terrible? I know they wouldn't be fun, but I already a fun car and motorcycle I can rip on.

#5 2015-02-03 11:20:05

petrolmed
User Number: 27152

I'm going to echo what Bryan said. I don't own one yet, but I've been searching heavily for the past month or so (east coast) and the statements hold true.

The kbb is on point, but dealers and zealous sellers will be way over it. Give it some time and they'll bring it down. One local dealer had a linear in not so great shape up for $7.5k. A week later they're down to $6k lol. Even if they don't drop it down quickly, it's not necessary for you to be the one dropping money given you've done your research and care about your dollaz.

My range is 3.5-5k for a loaded linear and 5-8k for an aero. To get a great price, be ready to move fast with an offer and search often. I'm looking for good to very good condition if possible. Super low miles or excellent condition might skyrocket it. From what I've seen, the automatics are cheaper because who wants autotragic (even if you've already got a fun car).

EDIT: 2006 brings a premium, the above is targeted to 2005.

#6 2015-02-03 12:43:26

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

iamchris wrote:

Was assuming you’d be all over this.

#2 sounds like a good price … it it was an Aero. Keep searching! You’ll find a good deal eventually but yea, both of those, especially the dealer one are overpriced.

Where are you in CA? I’m in Sacramento and travelled to Southern Oregon to see one (turned out to be a bust) and ultimately bought mine from someone in LA.

2019 VW Alltrack 6MT
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | SOLD

#7 2015-02-03 13:27:40

Bryan
why don't you remember my name?
Supporter
User Number: 1768

If they're 2005 models, I wouldn't go above $6k.  Timing belt is at 105k, yes.  If you're 3rd owner...I'd hope there is a solid service history and records, if not, $5k tops.

Linears were 5mt for the base model, leather and winter packages were separate but only $500 each at dealer, IIRC.  The 2005 engine is short about 10hp from the 2006, given the age it's probably putting out 160hp at most - and the autos are pretty awful in these cars, unless you know you're going to be driving in traffic frequently, hold out for a manual.  Or you could just use that to haggle down the price.

I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.