saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Finally, back on two wheels ( with no motor)

#1 2015-05-11 12:18:06

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter
User Number: 4306

Finally, back on two wheels ( with no motor)

Before my divorce I was a mediocre cyclist. I would get close to 100 miles/week on my own and group rides. After my divorce I moved out a prime riding location, into an area that I had to load the bike up to find a bike path or a decent road. My gf also has three kids and it was just a pain to find riding time. Well this year I decided I am getting back into it. The area I live in now has roads that are almost as good as my pre divorce rides so I can just ride out of the driveway and be gone for a few hours. I have a few friends that are into road rides, and a few friends that race mountain bikes and they road ride for training. So now I have a nice mixture of people to ride with again. So I dusted off the old rig, got it tuned up and started pedaling again. And the love is still there. I have created a few routes that are roughly an hour long, so on the weekends when we have plans I can get up and get some miles in while my gf is waking up with her 5 cups of coffee, or go out for a quick ride after work. Saturday I did a 27.6 mile ride with a friend, I am out of shape, haven't suffered like that in a while. But I know that loop now and it will be fitness evaluation loop to see how I am progressing through the season.

I am still riding my old GT ZR2000 with Ultegra components. I see a lot of CF frames out there now, but my aluminum is fine and will do until I decide if I want to upgrade.

I ma just happy to be back in the saddle after an 8 year absence.

Its a web grab, but this is my bike
http://bicykle.szm.com/bike/zr-2000.gif

'05 92x Stage 2 134k miles
VW Sandrail registered as a '71 Karmin Ghia Convertible

"Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help"

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2015-05-11 13:02:18

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

Re: Finally, back on two wheels ( with no motor)

Well done. After a few years of surgeries, I'm hoping to get back in the saddle soon myself. I'll keep an eye on this thread as motivation.

le sigh

#3 2015-05-11 13:10:00

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter

I downloaded Strava on my phone and that is a great app to track rides. So easy and functional.

#4 2015-05-11 13:13:34

Zanthess
vroom vroom
User Number: 29833

Keeping up motivation is the hardest! During the summer I try to ride to/from work. It's a breeze getting to work as it's all downhill.

Just means after I'm all beat up from work I have an uphill battle the whole way home.

#5 2015-05-11 13:15:35

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

Welcome back!  The first ride of the season is always the hardest, the first after 8 years is a little too hard to imagine what that feels like. 

Not much has changed in road biking in 8 years so no compelling reason to upgrade.  11 spd are the standard from all 3 of the bike component manufacturers, and road disk brakes are starting to become more common place.  The one I'm keeping my eye on is running a 1x11, eliminating the front derailleur all-together.  Carbon road frames are still the material of choice for the lightest frames, but there seems to be a slight comeback of both steel and TI in the last couple of years.  Wider rims, (my new HED Belgium+ rims are 25mm wide vs. my Campagnolo Scirrocco wheels are 19mm,) wider tires (if you are still running 23mm tires you might want to consider 25mm when replacing them) and lower tire pressures (10-15% lower gives a better ride and less rolling resistance) are making inroads.  And action cams are becoming pretty common as well, primarily so the next-of-kin know what happened to you.

#6 2015-05-11 13:22:11

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

Nightcrawler wrote:

I downloaded Strava on my phone and that is a great app to track rides. So easy and functional.

Just don't get sucked in too much:  The Strava Files: Everyone agrees that when Kim Flint crashed, he was chasing a record on Strava. What almost no one seems to fully comprehend is exactly who—or what—caused Flint’s death.

I've ridden with a few people trying for KOM on Strava segments.  Never again.  They do way too many stupid things trying to set those KOM records.  Stravacides is the appropriate term.

#7 2015-05-11 15:56:29

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter

tonka92x wrote:

Welcome back!  The first ride of the season is always the hardest, the first after 8 years is a little too hard to imagine what that feels like. 

Not much has changed in road biking in 8 years so no compelling reason to upgrade.  11 spd are the standard from all 3 of the bike component manufacturers, and road disk brakes are starting to become more common place.  The one I'm keeping my eye on is running a 1x11, eliminating the front derailleur all-together.  Carbon road frames are still the material of choice for the lightest frames, but there seems to be a slight comeback of both steel and TI in the last couple of years.  Wider rims, (my new HED Belgium+ rims are 25mm wide vs. my Campagnolo Scirrocco wheels are 19mm,) wider tires (if you are still running 23mm tires you might want to consider 25mm when replacing them) and lower tire pressures (10-15% lower gives a better ride and less rolling resistance) are making inroads.  And action cams are becoming pretty common as well, primarily so the next-of-kin know what happened to you.

I just had my bike tuned and replaced the old dry rotted 23s with another set of 23s.

That 1x11 sounds very interesting. I know my brother is running a 1x on his mountain bike but didn't realize it is transitioning into roadies now.

I have an action cam but always thought my life was way too ordinary to constantly record.

I am 6ft 210lbs, I wont be breaking any KOM challenges anytime soon. If they have sprint challenges, that might peak my interest. I am really just using Strava to track my mileage and see how my performance improves over the summer.

I will probably ride my commuter into work a few times this summer. It's only 13 miles. But the days that are good commuting days are also good sandrail driving days.

#8 2015-05-11 16:01:19

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2726

I am starting to get into the hobby as well. I picked up a CAAD9 on craigslist with 105 components (last of the Made in US Cannondales) and it's a pretty nice bike. Just ride, ride, and ride.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5 speed ABP

#9 2015-05-28 10:41:12

scot_douglas
Dr. Fabreezy313
Supporter
User Number: 1522

What's yer Strava id?

2013 Sonic
floormat's, tornado, and other horsepower enhancement's.
Howell, Michigan; Not just for racist's anymore.

#10 2015-05-28 10:58:48

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter

Jason Hymes

#11 2015-05-28 13:02:23

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

tonka92x wrote:

Wider rims, (my new HED Belgium+ rims are 25mm wide vs. my Campagnolo Scirrocco wheels are 19mm,) wider tires (if you are still running 23mm tires you might want to consider 25mm when replacing them) and lower tire pressures (10-15% lower gives a better ride and less rolling resistance) are making inroads.  And action cams are becoming pretty common as well, primarily so the next-of-kin know what happened to you.

What's the theory behind this. I get the better ride quality, the lower rolling resistance not so much.  And wider rims increases mass out at the highest radius, so that should hurt performance also, at least in old school think.

FWIW, I haven't put a lot of miles on my 23s, so they'll stick around for a couple of seasons more.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#12 2015-05-28 15:28:28

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

Scargo wrote:

tonka92x wrote:

Wider rims, (my new HED Belgium+ rims are 25mm wide vs. my Campagnolo Scirrocco wheels are 19mm,) wider tires (if you are still running 23mm tires you might want to consider 25mm when replacing them) and lower tire pressures (10-15% lower gives a better ride and less rolling resistance) are making inroads.  And action cams are becoming pretty common as well, primarily so the next-of-kin know what happened to you.

What's the theory behind this. I get the better ride quality, the lower rolling resistance not so much.  And wider rims increases mass out at the highest radius, so that should hurt performance also, at least in old school think.

FWIW, I haven't put a lot of miles on my 23s, so they'll stick around for a couple of seasons more.

The lower rolling resistance comes from lower internal resistance and hysteresis in the tire material due to a wider vs. a long contact patch and less effect of hitting a small bump causing the bike to lift and lower. The wider rims cause the tires to act "wider" than they actually are.  The tire sidewalls end up more vertical instead of spreading out, giving the tire more air volume.  A 23mm tire on a 23mm rim acts like a 25mm tire.  Lennard Zinn has had several columns on this, and the tire companies have been trying to get people to move to lower tire pressure/wider tires as well.

#13 2015-05-28 18:22:09

Scargo
Supporter

arrow-up  I'll have to look into this, seems so opposite to this old school mind.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#14 2015-05-28 20:54:29

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

I agree, it does seem counter intuitive, but after playing around with tire pressures the last part of last year I'm convinced.  There is one climb by me that isn't tough but the crest always seemed to kill your speed because the pavement was so rough.  Tried it once with the tires at 75/70 (my front is a 25mm, rear a 28mm) and I was shocked that I just blasted over the top.  Tried it a few other time with the same results.  Went to try it this year on the new bike with 25mm wide rims only to find they repaved the road this spring.

It does take some getting used to, I still stop thinking I have a low tire, and it takes some rides before you gain confidence the tires aren't going to roll-over in turns.  I find it is a big improvement in ride and I do feel that I am faster on some of the rough roads/trails that I ride.

#15 2015-05-28 21:18:07

Scargo
Supporter

arrow-up  sew-ups certainly have that quality, although some clinchers are getting pretty close, they absorb all of the energy sapping vibrations and those annoying ridged roads while still running seriously high pressures with low rolling resistance (did informal coast down tests), but they are rather expensive and a real pain if you get a flat. Guess I'll have to try the bigger tire/lower pressure concept (I'm light enough to run 90/100 most of the time on clinchers, the most I ran on sew-ups was 110 or so for time trials, beyond that things got a bit skittish.

#16 2015-05-28 23:45:17

SaabaruAero
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2119

Still on 23's @ 120psi. The feel of the tires can vary upon the tire. I run Rubino Pro's in the winter since they are more durable. Currently running a S-works clincher on the front, feels pretty good.

05 Silver Aero
Heated seats, Roof Rails, Clear bra up to the scoop, Forester Rear Wiper, Stage 2 (Cobb DP, SPT Cat back), AP, ScanGuage II
1982 RX-7 60.4k
2001 4runner

#17 2015-05-29 09:32:59

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

Are you more prone to a blowout at those lower pressures?

#18 2015-05-29 11:18:22

Scargo
Supporter

arrow-up  less, so long as the bead holds. When training (okay, back when sew-ups were common for racing/training) we tended to run lower pressures for more of a workout, longer tread life AND less tendency for punctures. Theory was tube would deform rather than pierce.  Being light helped, I had less flats with sew-ups than clinchers and I used to run my training tires right down to the cords.

#19 2015-05-29 12:27:10

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

iamchris wrote:

The biggest issue is pinch flats if you run the pressure too low.  This is typically how most people find their minimum pressure - get a pinch flat then bump the pressure 5 psi above what was in there.  Since I've been running lower pressures I've had zero flats due to punctures, and 1 due to a pinch flat (see above.)  And like Scargo said, at lower pressures the tread life increases as well.

#20 2015-06-01 09:17:19

randomtandemfandom
User Number: 31521

Nice do any of you guys ride fixies/ and or tandems? I can post some pics of my collection when I get home from work! roxor

#21 2015-06-01 09:34:37

sohlman
21O2OLOR
User Number: 11977

randomtandemfandom wrote:

Nice do any of you guys ride fixies/ and or tandems? I can post some pics of my collection when I get home from work! roxor

Do you by any chance look like this?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7a/fb/21/7afb2127ee25b7dc192dec4f52abea8c.jpg

06' Silver Aero 5MT - Cobb Turboback, Stage II  93 octane tune, ST coilovers (KW Variant1s), Cobb short shifter, 22mm front and 24mm rear whiteline sways and endlinks, engine rebuild (Manley forged rods and pistons)
White 2015 WRX - Whiteline rear swaybar, Perrin brass shifter bushing, Cobb J pipe, Cobb Accessport, custom buzzard damage

#22 2015-06-08 10:51:35

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

tonka92x wrote:

iamchris wrote:

The biggest issue is pinch flats if you run the pressure too low.  This is typically how most people find their minimum pressure - get a pinch flat then bump the pressure 5 psi above what was in there.  Since I've been running lower pressures I've had zero flats due to punctures, and 1 due to a pinch flat (see above.)  And like Scargo said, at lower pressures the tread life increases as well.

I got a flat on yesterday's ride about 5 miles from home.  Pulled the tube out and found not 1, not 2, but 3 punctures.  eek  2 were actually snakebites, probably incurred after the tire went down, but the 3rd was an honest puncture.  Spent about 10 minutes inspecting the tire and couldn't find the culprit, so I put it all back together with a spare tube and finished the ride.  At home I noticed that the single puncture was on the inside of the tube, not the tread side.  Looked at the rim and found my Vittoria special rim tape had folded-over right in the spot I found the puncture.   Nothing like having your rim tape cause a puncture. sadbanana  I guess being a little oxygen deprived makes you miss some basic things. facepalm

I now have some Stan's No-tube rim tape on order to replace that Vittoria crap.  Plus I'll be ready for tubeless when these tires wear out. banana

As an aside, I got to try out my PDW Shiny Object CO2 inflator.  Big up  This is the easiest to use CO2 inflator I've ever tried, and I have at least a 1/2 dozen laying around.  Very easy to regulate the CO2 flow into the tire, and seals up the opened cartridge well enough that I was able to use the remaining CO2 once I got home. Plus that cold cartridge felt pretty good on my back.

#23 2015-06-12 14:14:10

scot_douglas
Dr. Fabreezy313
Supporter
User Number: 1522

Nightcrawler wrote:

Jason Hymes

Get on dat bike!

2013 Sonic
floormat's, tornado, and other horsepower enhancement's.
Howell, Michigan; Not just for racist's anymore.

#24 2015-06-12 14:21:03

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter

tOMORROW. i'VE BEEN BUSY AND THE WEATHER HAS BEEN SHITTY WHEN i'M NOT BUSY.

tHANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!  embeer embeer

#25 2015-06-15 10:32:07

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter

I managed 2 rides this weekend. The 2nd one hurt... alot

• Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Finally, back on two wheels ( with no motor)

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.