saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-01-23 01:28:35

ApexAficionado
User Number: 35544

WTB in Northern California, all Linear.

Hey all, I've always loved Subarus, and have always loved wagons, so the 9-2x seems to fit the bill for my unique wagon habit.

I am looking for a Manual driving, and initially I had my heart set on an Aero, but this lust is seeming a bit out of grasp since all candidates are Linear 2.5. My plans were to slowly modify the car over a few years, brakes, suspension, and whatever other cool Subaru parts I would impulsively buy. But the lack of power potential for the 2.5 is a bit off-putting, but maybe not a dealbreaker.

One contributing factor for wanting this car is of course the flat 4 rumble. Now I know the 2.0 can achieve this signature sound, as I have heard it in person, but is the 2.5 comparable? I have been searching around for some clear evidence of a 2.5 with a mild exhaust to no avail. Raw power and straight-line speed are not huge attractors for me, but I need to get in one and see for myself. Maybe waiting for the right Aero would be the right choice?

Now for the Linears in my area, they are all creeping up on 100,000 miles, and I was wondering how much does that service cost, and what does it usually entail? (timing belt, water pump, etc?)

Any input would be awesome, thanks for reading.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-01-25 12:23:33

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Re: WTB in Northern California, all Linear.

Norcal Aero owner reporting..

What sort of subies have you had? I'm guessing you have driven a 2.5 to know what the feel like? If not, I'd recommend test driving one to see if it will meet your needs. I test drove a Linear and (even though it was set up w/ tons of suspension mods) it didnt check the speed box for me and so I set my sights strictly on Aeros. It may be that most that are popping up for sale now are Linears but I assure you there will be Aeros for sale as well if that's more what you're interested in - it just will take some patience. I think I was actively in the market for an Aero for 3 months before I found the one that I ultimately purchased. Check here, Cars.com, other subie/saab forums, and you'll eventually find something. Also, you'll need to be willing to travel for the right one. I looked at one in Southern Oregon (didn't pan out) and bought mine in Los Angeles.

2.5s also have the signature rumble. Do a youtube search for 2010 WRX exhaust and you'll find tons of fart-cannon install videos that show the sound.

I had the 100k service done at 90k miles since I was passed the time element of the service interval and was getting nervous about my timing belt. It ended up costing me aroudn $800 at a local shop for the timing belt, water pump, and all the other preventive maintenance items on that service.

Good luck in your search! If you do find one on another site, post it here and we'll let you know if it's a good buy.  embeer

Whereabouts in Norcal are you?

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#3 2016-01-25 16:20:39

ApexAficionado

Thanks for the reply!

I have only gotten the chance to drive the odd Outback and base Impreza around town, not performance oriented driving at all. I plan on checking out a Linear MT to feel it out next month, there's one in Orangevale I think at a dealer, and one in SJ by owner. I currently drive a turbo'd Volvo so I might not love the N/A life...

Good to know about the service. I'm around Sac, so I know of Snail Performance and FW Motorsport being good shops up in Rocklin.

I'll try to be persistent, yet patient in finding an Aero on the West Coast.

#4 2016-01-25 16:47:47

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

ApexAficionado wrote:

Good to know about the service. I'm around Sac, so I know of Snail Performance and FW Motorsport being good shops up in Rocklin.

Paging Max...  facepalm

Snail Performance is legit (from what I know - a couple local guys I know have been tuned there) and Snail basically consists of Travis and a couple other guys who tune cars. FW Motorsports is nextdoor and do general subie maintenance / rebuilds / etc. I don't think they're associated apart from giving each other business and sharing some shop space.

A good chunk of local subie fanboys love Paul (owner of FW) and his shop. Max, myself, and some others, have gotten disillusioned with their shop and I would no longer recommend taking your subie there. They seem to know their stuff in regards to building subies but they have absolutely terrible customer service with a very arrogant my way or the highway attitude, and are WAY expensive.

I took my Saabaru to them for a couple services when I first bought it 3 years ago but their high prices and attitude drove me away. I have my general preventive maintenance performed at a local shop I trust and previously thought if I ever needed a rebuild, I'd go to FW since they are the most known subie builder in town. Max (sohlman on here) can chime in on his experience, but from what he went through, I will definitely not let them touch my car. A subie friend of mine just started working for M45 Automotive, in Auburn. If I need any major surgery above and beyond general maintenance, I will consider them first.

Just as an example on price, they quoted me $800 for just the timing belt portion of the 105k service. I think it would've ended up being like $1,200+ for the whole service.

For reading on Max's Saabaru engine rebuild woes with FW - see his PMR thread http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=55201&p=9

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#5 2016-01-25 17:13:01

ApexAficionado

Alright, well that is more to be taken into consideration, thanks!

These are the kinds of community things I was hoping to learn about on these forums once it was time for maintenance. But that is a bit off into the distance at this point.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.