saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Post My Ride
  •  » The JDM STI Saabaru, An EJ207 and 6-Speed filled Wagon

#1 2016-03-06 21:19:40

Saabaru300
User Number: 7948

The JDM STI Saabaru, An EJ207 and 6-Speed filled Wagon

Hello,

I'm back and giving this forum a shot again. Hope you guys enjoy my journey with my Saabaru and I'm super excited with the direction it is going.

I picked this car up in Chicago with a broken motor. A couple friends and I decided to travel to chicago and in 1 weekend swap out the longblock and drive it home to Michigan.

The Fun Begins
Motor install happened in chicago in a friends driveway over a weekend. That's right, a longblock swap, Friday night to Sunday afternoon. It was stressful, I had never gone this deep into car repair ever so my Subaru friend did 90% of the work while I help as much as I could and learned. Sunday afternoon comes, time to drive back to the Detroit,MI area, a 4 hour drive. The Saab was having power steering issues because the system had bubbles in it and we knew the turbo was bad but, it had to work. During the whole drive back, the car had oil smoke belching out of the exhaust. Halfway into the trip, the power of the car was so bad we pulled over again and found out the turbo was just glowing.
http://s20.postimg.org/imeja8ztp/Glowing_Turbo_Chicago_to_MI_Drive.jpg     

My subaru dude figured out by taking the coupler between the intake and TMIC off completely and disconnecting the maf, it would be the same as running N/A. It was dangerous because the air was now unfiltered but the risk had to be taken. Ended up making it back, my friend had a spare TD04 in his garage that he installed the next day and then the car was good to go.

My Modding Addiction
Now, when the new motor was installed, the first mod was also installed. A Turbo XS Catless Stealthback exhaust system(DP and midpipe). Unfortunately it didn't meet up with the stock axleback correctly so I had a nice exhaust leak for a while but I enjoyed it. My first exterior mod was the blacking out of the grill. It turned out great. After that I got some Epic Engineering Lowering Springs and a Rear Strut Tower Brace. The lower springs are great. Not too low but got rid of the front gap and the ride wasn't bad at all.
http://s20.postimg.org/l9p3ekorh/Parked_at_Delts_Lowered.jpg

Next, I got a Prodrive Oval-tip Axleback to fix the exhaust leak. I love the sound of a fully catless Downpipe and Midpipe feeding into that axleback. Not loud at all but you could hear the rumble and it opened up nicely at higher throttle.
Now, it was time for some power mods. I got a catless uppipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump and got in contact with a local road tuner for a stage 2 tune. We could only get 16psi because the stock boost control solenoid was a little clogged, I got a grimmspeed EBCS later on to fix that. To make a retune worth it, I waited a while and got a K&N Typhoon Intake, Perrin Turbo Inlet, and a setup I was dreaming about, an external wastegate setup. Why did I want one for a stock TD04. Because of the noise. I know that sounds like a dumb reason but eventually I would need one for a bigger turbo and I found good prices. I purchased a CNT Racing uppipe with the EWG bung, a TiAL 38mm MV-S Wastegate and I did the install myself. The install of the first uppipe was again mostly done by my subaru friend but the external I did myself with a little help from my dad who has no automotive experience other then oil changes. Got the re-tune and loved it, 19psi, EWG, even more turbo intake sounds and because of the perrin inlet, I could hear the stock bpv.
Next favorite exterior mod, I got new wheels. XXR 530 17x8.25 +35 in Chromium Black with some BFGoodrich G-Force KDW NT 235/40 Tires. They look awesome. Love the concave face and the double 7-spoke design. Rubbed in the rear a little so I got some 1/2" strut spacers for the saggy butt thing and I had the rear fenders rolled. It didn't help that I had a big, hand built (myself) subwoofer box in the back with a 15" 1250w Sub, not light. (Gone now)
http://s20.postimg.org/maf9x05lp/Front_Right_View_of_entire_Car.jpg

Next exterior mod, I blacked out the headlights the proper way, not just spray painting the inner trim piece in the headlights. Saabaru's look weird in my opinion when you do that because the third/turn signal area gets completely blacked out. I did everything in semi-gloss black except the reflective domes behind the bulbs. 
http://s20.postimg.org/61t7m9u1p/Joe_s_Driveway_Headlight_Blacked_Out_4.jpg

There are many more modifications but I'm not storytelling about every single one.  big_smile

The Mod List(Finally big_smile)

Engine/Exhaust:
-JDM Version 8 STI EJ207 Complete Motor, VF37, Twinscroll, AVCS Goodness, Gates Timing Belt Kit, SS Braided AVCS Oil Line
-Torque Solutions/Cusco Engine Mounts (Came with Motor)
-Subaru Group N Pitch Stop 
-Tomioka Twinscroll Catless Downpipe
-TurboXS 3" Midpipe
-Prodrive Oval-tip Axleback
-K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-Perrin Turbo Inlet
-Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
-Grimmspeed EBCS
-RCI 1000cc Injectors
-Forge Recirculating BPV
-Killer B Oil Pickup and Baffle

Transmission/Driveline
-2004 JDM Forester STI 6-Speed Trans - Tall Gearing (Same as USDM Legacy GT Spec B), AP Suretrac LSD Front Diff, Non-DCCD, OEM Short Throw Shifter
-R180 STI Rear Diff - AP Suretrac LSD, 3.90 to match Trans
-South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch - For STI, 565ft-lbs Crank Torque Capacity, Mated with an OEM STI Flywheel
-Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line
-Cusco 6MT Trans Mount
-Turn In Concepts Trans Crossmember Bushings
-Turn In Concepts Holy Shift Kit - Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings, TIC Linkage and Pivot Bushings 

Drivetrain/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels:
-STI Aluminum Front Control Arms and Rear Lateral Links (10mm Wider than Wagon Stuff)
-JDM Version 8 STI 5x114.3 Hubs with Brembo Front and Rear Calipers
-STI Stock 20mm Front and Rear Swaybars
-04-07 STI Epic Engineering Lowering Springs on OEM 05-07 STI Struts
-Turn In Concepts Super Sexy Suspension Kit - Lateral Link and Trailing Arm Bushings (Race Stiffness)
-Turn In Concepts Unabomber's Sexy Rear End Kit - Rear Diff Mount & Subframe Bushings, Kartboy Rear Subframe Lockdown Bolts
-Mooresport (MSI) Street Front Upper Adjustable Camber Plates
-Moog 12mm Camber Bolts for Rear (Parts Store)
-GTSpec Rear Strut Tower Brace
-Stoptech Street Brake Pads - 04+ STI, Front and Rear
-OEM STI Brake Rotors
-Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-2006 STI Steering Rack (Not stock, swapped to this one)
-F4M High Pressure Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Coated Powersteering Line
-Wedsport SA-55M Wheels - 18x8.5" ET50, Specially Powdercoated Gold by Wedsport when bought new by Previous/1st Owner
-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec Tires - 245/40R18 (Huge for a GD Wagon)

Interior/Exterior:
-Alpine ida-x303s Single DIN Head Unit (Came with Car)
-HiFonics GLX1400.1 Class D 1400w Mono Amplifier
-Prosport Performance Series Mechanical Boost Gauge w/ Mounting Cup
-Defi Racer 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge - Red
-Blacked Out Grille
-Blacked Out Headlights
-Blacked Out Lower Front Bumper
-Debadged "9-2x" & "Aero" on Hatch
-Custom Door Decals "STI Saabaru Technica International", STI in Gold, Rest in Black
-Custom Euro Plate with MOVE OVER in mirror reverse
-DIY Front Lip (Garage Door Weather Stripping)

The 2nd Motor (excluding the original owners broken one I replaced):
Well, the motor that was installed when the car was first purchased had some oil consumption issues, .5 quarts every ~250 miles:eek:. Didn't really try to figure it out either. Went and played around on the highway with a friend who also had an 04 wrx wagon but his was stock except for TBE and BOV. I got into doing a long 5th gear pull which I don't do usually. Maxed out the speedo, felt awesome, got back, parked it until the next day. Went to drive the 5mins to my school for class, car is making a clicking noise that changes with revs. Come back and start researching possible problems I could have, research points to most likely a spun bearing so I park the car and stop driving it. I pull the motor myself and tear it down to a longblock (most I had ever dug into a car by myself). I took the longblock to a local subaru mechanic, they tear the block apart and discover I spun not 1 but 2 rod bearings. Time for a new longblock again.
I found a JDM EJ205 for sale with 20,000miles on it with an STI oil pan and Killer B oil pickup & baffle, awesome, right? Kinda, I purchased the longblock, I got a Ver 7 wrx ecu, JDM sti pink injectors, the IA Performance AVCS Engine & Bulkhead wiring harnesses and the Forge BOV. I installed the motor all by myself (crazy, right?), and when I tryed to hook the AVCS up, I found out it is different. It is too different, the cam position sensors and solenoids were USDM EJ25 but the block and heads are all EJ20.I got a refund on the wiring harnesses and sold the jdm ecu. After I got everything else hooked up, I had a bad oil leak and an exhaust leak. At this point I am fed up with the car so I took it to the subaru mechanic. The oil leak was from bad crush washers on one the turbo/avcs SS oil line banjo's and an unblocked port for an air pump system. Didn't even know about that system before. They fixed that and the exhaust leak and re-adjusted the tune. The whole time I am wondering what kind of motor did I actually buy. My current best guess after some good research and talking to certain companies is that my motor is a 06-07 non-USDM & non-JDM EJ205. Dunno but the car finally works.

The "New Motor", Motor #3 (EJ207 Powaaaaa):
This story begins with a nice snowstorm in February, we got 11" of the white stuff. I hadn't played in the snow with the Saabaru since 2 winter previous. Had a perfect parking lot, large, smooth, and just a few light polls. Afterwards there was a clicking/whirring sound coming from the engine/trans bellhousing area. This noise was heard only when decelerating in gear with the clutch engaged but the rpm had to be up past 3k to hear it. I decided to take it to a guy that has worked on Subie's for a while and has one himself (08 WRX pushing 400whp, he's fixed his 5 speed a couple times, lol). After inspection, he concluded that the trans is fine and that it was probably the wheel bearing going which they were. We decided to pull the engine to refresh some gaskets, replace some injector seals since Kris(Mechanic) thought there was a vacuum leak for one possibly causing by Misfire codes and lean condition code. Once the motor was pulled, we saw that the 2 small screws holding the bearing surface to the flywheel had snapped and the main bolts were loose. Rear main crank surface was dented and some bolt holes were stripped after removing the bolts. The motor would have needed a new crank but since the block already had 2 stripped bellhousing bolts and a motor mount bolt hole, along with OEM shortblock being supposedly on backorder, I decided to get my finances in order and get a EJ207...finally. 

Almost the End

This is were I am right now so here are some more pictures. Thanks for reading this crazy long post. Congratulations on completely reading this post (essay) big_smile

http://s20.postimg.org/psdkhdr6l/Chitown_2016_Boat_Port_2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my thread and let the Subaru(Saabaru) Ownership and modding continue.

Some photos taken By jsfauxtaug and the guy that gave me the Subaru Inspiration, Faster_Gun. Thanks

Last edited by Saabaru300 (2016-05-23 23:59:51)

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero, Red, Leather, HID's, Winter Package, Manual Trans
JDM Ver 8 EJ207 - RCI 1000cc Injectors, EBCS, Intake, BPV, Catless TBE, Pro-Tuned: 306awhp & 276wtq
JDM FSTI 6mt w/ JDM Ver8 Widetrack STI Drivetrain, 5x114.3 & Brembo Brakes - STI Struts & Lowering Springs, Front MSI Camber Plates
2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition, Silver, Auto Trans (Daily Driver/Winter Car)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-03-06 21:19:55

Saabaru300

Re: The JDM STI Saabaru, An EJ207 and 6-Speed filled Wagon

EJ207 Goodness

Version 8 JDM STI EJ207 complete motor swap. Little info on the JDm Version 8 motor. It comes with Subaru's "Big Port Heads" which are the best EJ heads Subaru has made. The motor has hypereutectic pistons which are just as power capable as the Version 7 Forged pistons, just a little more susceptible to damage from knock. These motor can rev to 8200rpm. My tuner decided to set my rev limit to 7700rpm because I don't make any more power up there anyway. It quit making more power around 6800rpm anyway.
The Version 8/9 motors are equipped with factory equal length headers so no signature Subaru grumble. Still has a subaru sound but more 4 cylinder like. lol
The equal length headers and uppipe are twinscroll meaning each bank of cylinders merges from the 2 pipes on each side to 1 pipe per bank of cylinders and they stay 2 separate pipes all the way up to the turbo. The STI turbo, a VF37, has 2 inlet port hols on the bottom and the output to downpipe flange is different than a standard subaru turbo downpipe flange.
Another difference is the intake manifold is one solid piece all the way down to the heads. No TGV's. It is referred to as the Long Runner Intake Manifold. I also have the Version 9 STI Intercooler which as the split upper end-tanks and is the largest TMIC subaru has made.

That is the main and noticeable differences of the very awesome Version 8 & 9 JDM STI EJ207 motors.

As stated in the first post, I was dyno-tuned by Corbin Johnson @ Whalen Speed R&D on their Dynojet. The Saabaru made 306awhp & 276ft-lbs of torque and I love every bit of it. I am also running on the Carberry ROM which has features like Launch Control and many other awesome things.

http://s20.postimg.org/e693qp42l/EJ207_Engine_Pic_2.jpg

Here is a video of some dyno pulls during the tuning session. I still had my unequal length/EJ205 exhaust setup which was the prodrive muffler with a pipe stuck in it to reduce the noise muffling of the muffler. Sounded awesome on the previous EJ205 but terrible on the EJ207 unless at hear splitting high rpm's. The pipe has been removed and is very nice sounding still.

Here is another video of just some exterior sound clips and ricer shenanigans.

Last edited by Saabaru300 (2016-03-06 21:59:28)

JDM Ver 8 EJ207 - RCI 1000cc Injectors, EBCS, Intake, BPV, Catless TBE, Pro-Tuned: 306awhp & 276wtq
JDM FSTI 6mt w/ JDM Ver8 Widetrack STI Drivetrain, 5x114.3 & Brembo Brakes - STI Struts & Lowering Springs, Front MSI Camber Plates
2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition, Silver, Auto Trans (Daily Driver/Winter Car)

#3 2016-03-06 21:20:15

Saabaru300

Now for 6-Speed stuff to fulfil the thread title.  banana

I picked up this full drivetrain swap from JSpec Auto (Got my EJ207 from them too). This is a full swap. 6mt Trans, 5x114.3 Hubs, STI Suspension (Aluminum Control Arms, Sedan wider track, etc.), Brembo Calipers, R180 Diff, STI Axles, all the good stuff.

http://s20.postimg.org/xaegnsqcd/DSCN9702.jpg 
http://s20.postimg.org/z9znsya1p/20151109_100742.jpg

The special thing about the JDM FSTI transmission is the gear ratios.
In Japan, Subaru did actually produce a Forester STI (2004-2007). It had all STI drivetrain, EJ207, 6 Speed, Brembo's, everything.
These transmission are Non-DCCD, AP Suretrac LSD Front Diff and AP Suretrac LSD Rear R180 Diff. The gears are exactly the same as the USDM 07-09 Legacy GT Spec B that came with the 6 Speed. The ratios are taller. Here is a chart I put together with the different ratios and their associated speeds at what I consider cruising RPM.
http://s20.postimg.org/tohu2myql/Screenshot_of_6mt_Ratios_Spreadsheet.jpg

I know the Standard JDM STI transmissions are made to go with the EJ207, they give the best acceleration performance and probably feel even more awesome to row through but the Saabaru is for the most part my Daily with a heafty amount of spirited driving and some track days. Since the RPM's will be a little lower at certain speeds, I should get a little better fuel economy (2-4mpg is my hope, every little bits helps). "Fuel economy, in a subaru, lolz  tongue
You might think, why not get a USDM 6 speed? I have some very good reasons. USDM 04-05 STI 6mt have 4th gear grinding issues. USDM 06-07 STI had the grinding issue fixed with carbon synchros in a couple spots and the 07 STI received the same 1st-4th as the JDM FSTI 6mt but kept the same 5th and 6th. The USDM 06-07 6mt's are even more expensive too (pay the same for my current JDM swap for the 07 Trans but without Brembo's).

To go with this 6mt swap, I am replacing a good amount of bushings with Turn In Concept's kits, along with a few other things. Here is a nice list of everything you need for a "Full" drivetrain swap (There are 2 other methods for a 6-speed swap that are cheaper too but this is they way I went):

Swap Package from the Importer JSpec Auto:
1 - JDM Forester STI 6 Speed Transmission, #TY856WL4CC
1 - R180 Rear Differential
1 - Starter
1 - 6 Speed Shifter Assembly
1 - Flywheel & Clutch/Pressure Plate (Used, Resurfacing)
1 - Driveshaft
2 - Rear Axles
2 - Front Axles (Male Ended Axles)
4 - 5x114.3 Hubs w/ Used Rotors (Resurfacing Rotors)
4 - Brembo Calipers
4 - Rear Lateral Links
2 - Rear Trailing Arms
2 - Front Control Arms
1 - Rear Differential Subframe
1 - Front Engine Cradle
1 - STI Steering Rack w/ Tie Rod Ends (RHD - Not using)
1 - Front Sway Bar w/Endlinks
1 - Rear Sway Bar w/ Endlinks
4 - Front/Rear STI Struts w/ Springs - 5x114.3

And the aftermarket parts and fluids I have added on for this swap:  lol
South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit FJK1000-HD-OFE
Stoptech 309.10010 Street Performance Brake Pads - Front
Stoptech 309.09610 Street Performance Brake Pads - Rear
Cusco 6mt STI Trans Mount
Group N OEM STI Pitching Stopper
TIC Holy Shift Set - 04/05 STI
TIC Tranny Cross Member Bushings
TIC Super Sexy Suspension Kit
TIC Unabomber's Sexy Rearend
Whole Bunch of OEM Subaru Hardware
Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line
2 - Vibrant 3" 2-Bolt Exhaust Flange Gaskets

Trans Fluid -  5qt of Motul 300 - 4.1qt for 6mt
Rear Diff Fluid - Motul 90 PA LSD Diff Oil
Brake Fluid - ATE TYP 200 DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Epic Engineering Lowering Springs: 04-07 STI, EE-S-SGD-001
Wedsport SA55M 18x8.5 +50 Wheels w/ 245/40R18 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec  cool

Here is a picture of the awesome Wedsport SA-55M wheels. Look soooooooo good. Can't wait to stuff them under the fenders.
http://s20.postimg.org/is0rvtpst/20160120_212325.jpg 
http://s20.postimg.org/l6sng961p/20160120_212227.jpg

Last edited by Saabaru300 (2016-03-06 22:30:44)

#4 2016-03-06 21:21:59

Saabaru300

Last year, I attended 2 open track days at Waterford Hills Raceway up here in Michigan. Nice little 1.3 miles track. I am pretty much hooked on road courses now so my setup goals are heavily centered around track performance. This upcoming year, my goals are to improve my driving skills through more seat time and not upgrading hardware too quickly so as to be able to learn how a relatively stock (little stiffer and more beginner friendly) STI handles on a track and make changes from there.  driving  biggrin

For this year of 2016, I am already signed up for Saturday & Sunday Open Track Days at Gingerman Raceway for the #GRIDLIFE Music & Motorsports Festival, June 10th - 12th. I've spectated the last 2 years and it is an awesome event. Seriously cannot wait.  banana

Here is a video of my third session of the day. This was my second track day of last year (2015). Nothing broke and I had a blast.

http://s20.postimg.org/5mpek34d9/Saabaru_on_Track_1.jpg
http://s20.postimg.org/jhnp2jysd/Saabaru_on_Track_2.jpg
http://s20.postimg.org/9lr7gnie5/Saabaru_on_Track_6.jpg
http://s20.postimg.org/4cw6irzz1/Saabaru_on_Track_5.jpg
http://s20.postimg.org/qdcizein1/Saabaru_on_Track_3.jpg

Last edited by Saabaru300 (2016-03-06 22:48:11)

#5 2016-03-06 21:22:34

Saabaru300

Reserved big_smile

#6 2016-03-06 21:30:36

WDEagle
Unrepentantly Ideological
Supporter
User Number: 7

Reserved  big_smile

Hers --------> 2005 Midnight Black Flat Black Pearl White Saab 92x Aero w/sport 2016 Ultra White Lexus NX200t F Sport
Mine --------> 2004 Black Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 2016 Lazer Blue Chevy Colorado Crew Cab
Ours --------> 2004 Millennium Yellow Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
Ours 2 --------> 1966 Arcadian Blue Ford Mustang Coupe

#7 2016-03-06 22:00:49

Saabaru300

WDEagle wrote:

Reserved  big_smile

Hey, you, three of my reserved spots have been filled in. lol  tongue

Last edited by Saabaru300 (2016-03-06 22:50:09)

#8 2016-03-06 23:02:22

eurocoffee
under attack *
User Number: 7218

Cool story bro embeer  embeer  embeer

That lip tho... tongue

This is my Saabaru. There are many like it, but this one is Mine!

#9 2016-03-06 23:07:49

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Holy shit.  roxor

#10 2016-03-07 13:02:41

countriccati
User Number: 28345

Welcome back, awesome build! Unlimited post length on this forum so no need to reserve smile

me and my aero

#11 2016-03-07 13:05:51

Saabaru300

countriccati wrote:

Welcome back, awesome build! Unlimited post length on this forum so no need to reserve smile

I just wanted anything related to my current setup at the top of this thread. Now I'll just add a post whenever something new takes place.  tongue

#12 2016-03-07 13:21:35

countriccati
User Number: 28345

Oh yeah, absolutely, meant a single post can be as long as you like, so can edit your first post(s) to include as many pictures/details as you like wink

me and my aero

#13 2016-03-07 14:33:32

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Mod list too long to readdddddd. haha.  banana banana

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#14 2016-03-07 15:36:13

MFNcody
User Number: 33201

That's awesome! I couldn't finish watching the in-car video in one shot - not 'cause I was bored or anything, it just made me tired
Car looks fabulous!

2005 9-2xAero 5spd - daily driver
1997 Buick Riviera - my baby
2000 Honda SuperHawk VTR1000

#15 2016-03-07 15:40:07

kornfeld
Supporter
User Number: 2503

This picture is crazy:

http://s20.postimg.org/imeja8ztp/Glowing_Turbo_Chicago_to_MI_Drive.jpg

That thing must have been insanely hot to glow that brightly even under the light from a flash.

Der Schuh

#16 2016-03-07 15:48:54

hammyt
0_0
Supporter
User Number: 562

That's prolly not ideal

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT | 275whp/250wtq | 13.6@100 | SOLD
2014 Focus ST 6MT | Tuxedo Black

#17 2016-03-07 18:49:04

myzislow
User Number: 7861

Pretty awesome build! Thanks for sharing. I might have to look into that jdm forester as well when my transmission quits on me.

How are they price wise compared to a standard v7 STi non dccd trans?

#18 2016-03-07 19:01:59

sohlman
21O2OLOR
User Number: 11977

Man, great job with the build so far!

As far as improving handling goes wouldn't going back to 17s improve it quiet drastically. I heard a little bit of rubbing during hard cornering in some parts of the track video, and you're still on stock springs/ struts right?

06' Silver Aero 5MT - Cobb Turboback, Stage II  93 octane tune, ST coilovers (KW Variant1s), Cobb short shifter, 22mm front and 24mm rear whiteline sways and endlinks, engine rebuild (Manley forged rods and pistons)
White 2015 WRX - Whiteline rear swaybar, Perrin brass shifter bushing, Cobb J pipe, Cobb Accessport, custom buzzard damage

#19 2016-03-07 19:02:23

mhaggin
stututututu
User Number: 25224

Insane build, looks like you drive the hell out of that little car  biggrin roxor

'05 silver aero / 3" straight pipe, cobb stage 1, 4eat

#20 2016-03-07 22:00:02

92XAERO87
User Number: 8131

Beautiful color! Glowing red! Rock it man you have a right to be proud.  embeer roxor biggrin

13 Ford Focus ST
05 Saab  92x Aero Winter Beater
03 Land Rover Freelander  
00 Volkswagen Jetta VR6

#21 2016-03-09 01:53:57

Saabaru300

myzislow wrote:

How are they price wise compared to a standard v7 STi non dccd trans?

For the most part, the JDM FSTI trans is the same price as the other Non-DCCD Version 7/8 6mt transmissions. Seems the FSTI Trans is still a relatively unknown 6-Speed. Tall ratios, Non-DCCD, and with AP Suretrac LSD Diff, it's basically the perfect 6mt for a weekend racer and Daily Cruiser til you decide you need DCCD.

sohlman wrote:

As far as improving handling goes wouldn't going back to 17s improve it quiet drastically. I heard a little bit of rubbing during hard cornering in some parts of the track video, and you're still on stock springs/ struts right?

Yeah, 17's would be a more favorable size but I couldn't pass up on the looks of the Wedsports and the price. I was going to get OEM STI 17x8 BBS and a new set of 235/45 Direzza ZII Star Spec's but the Wedsports ending up being a tiny bit cheaper than the original plan. I don't think there was any rubbing while on track but it's possible. I was on Stock Struts with Epic Engineering Lowering Springs and my 6-Speed Swap will be riding on OEM STI 5x114.3 struts with another set of Epic Engineering Lowering Springs. Also, OEM STI sway bars are 20mm F/R compared to the 17mm F/R that were on stock and at the track days.

But yeah, thanks guys, the Saabaru will get the poop driven out of it this year too with plenty of videos.

The Saabaru was dropped off for the drivetrain swap Monday night and the swap would have begun tonight. Should be done by Friday. big_smile

#22 2016-03-09 07:47:32

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

How did your tuner handle tuning for winter?

I just had to deal with a car that was "tuned" on the dyno for max power, but it wasn't drivable cold. At all.  So not entirely a question specific to your car, but are you driving it all year around?

#23 2016-03-09 10:33:34

hammyt
0_0
Supporter
User Number: 562

That's all in the tune.  If your tuner doesn't know how to make your tune more conservative/driveable 24/7 then you need to find a new tuner.

I left at least 10+ whp/wtq on the table to keep my tune conservative and it served me perfectly.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT | 275whp/250wtq | 13.6@100 | SOLD
2014 Focus ST 6MT | Tuxedo Black

#24 2016-03-09 19:38:07

Saabaru300

bentmettle wrote:

How did your tuner handle tuning for winter?

I just had to deal with a car that was "tuned" on the dyno for max power, but it wasn't drivable cold. At all.  So not entirely a question specific to your car, but are you driving it all year around?

I do drive it all year around and even on cold winter days up here in Michigan. It drove perfectly fine. The only stumble it would have is the 1-2 seconds just as the motor turns over. It likes to chug a little then goes right up to cold start RPM's. I believe the stumble is from the Longrunner Intake Manifold as in no TGV's. Pretty sure TGV's were mostly for cold start ease.

#25 2016-03-09 22:04:00

Rbonnie
User Number: 29168

Saabaru300 wrote:

Damn that red looks so good up
http://s20.postimg.org/jhnp2jysd/Saabaru_on_Track_2.jpg

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT (Deep Blue Mica)

• Home
  •  » Post My Ride
  •  » The JDM STI Saabaru, An EJ207 and 6-Speed filled Wagon

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.