saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-07-17 09:39:34

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

I overheated

I was in the mountains yesterday afternoon, and driving back to Denver, my car overheated.

The situation went like so:

- Started the car, turned on A/C, started driving (off highway). A/C working great.
- After ~1 mile, pulled over to fill up with gas
- Started car again, turned on A/C again, started driving (on highway). A/C stops working. I do not think to look at temp guage yet, because I had just replaced my condenser so I was busy being mad that I might have screwed it up
- After about 2 miles, A/C starts working again. I now look at my temp gauge. It is approx. dead in the middle, which is higher than it usually sits. Usually it sits right above the second hash mark.
- I am now watching my temp gauge. It starts to climb quickly. A/C stops blowing cold again. It gets over the 3rd has mark (next hash mark red zone). I pull over. I leave the car running and open the hood. The radiator fans are on full speed. The coolant reservoir tank is just under the 'hot - full' line.
- I turn off the car and wait ~15 minutes. I turn the car back on, temp gauge had dropped down to roughly the middle of the gauge. I turn on the heater to max. It feels like it is not blowing heated air (outside temp is ~83F so it's hard to tell, but it seems like it should be super hot if the engine is over 200F)
- I pull back onto the road and start driving. Temp gauge immediately starts climbing. As I pick up speed, the heater seems to start heating. It is blowing very hot air. I make it maybe another mile before the temp gauge is above the 3rd hash mark again. I pull off the highway on an exit ramp and park. We wait for a tow truck to bring us home.

The car is in the garage now. My best guess (and hope) is that my thermostat was stuck closed. But I can't understand why that would affect my heat. Doesn't the coolant still circulate through the heater core when the thermostat has closed off the radiator?

I plan on replacing the thermostat tomorrow. No Subaru dealerships are open anywhere near me on Sunday, unfortunately. I thought about an aftermarket one from Advance Auto, but the one they have has terrible reviews, so I don't think it's worth risking it.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-07-17 10:36:35

WDEagle
Unrepentantly Ideological
Supporter
User Number: 7

Re: I overheated

Sounds like a tstat to me also.

Hers --------> 2005 Midnight Black Flat Black Pearl White Saab 92x Aero w/sport & 2016 Ultra White Lexus NX200t F Sport
Mine --------> 2004 Black Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 2016 Lazer Blue Chevy Colorado Crew Cab
Ours --------> 2004 Millennium Yellow Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
Ours 2 ------> 1966 Arcadian Blue Ford Mustang Coupe

#3 2016-07-17 10:44:34

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Water will circulate through the radiator with the thermostat closed but it won't get any heat from the engine, so no hot air smile
Sounds like the thermostat is only partially working, otherwise the engine would have melted down.
Hopefully you didn't warp you heads.

2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
1972 Mach 1 Mustang (needs engine rebuild)
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone Totaled 02/23

#4 2016-07-18 08:12:54

snowphun
User Number: 890

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

Water will circulate through the radiator with the thermostat closed but it won't get any heat from the engine, so no hot air smile
Sounds like the thermostat is only partially working, otherwise the engine would have melted down.
Hopefully you didn't warp you heads.

Heat for the cabin does not come from the radiator, it comes from the heater core which is not impacted by the tstat. Coolant circulates because of the water pump, the rad and hoses are out of the loop when the tstat is closed, but none of that matters to getting heat into the cabin.

Sounds to me like you have air in the system, especially if you replaced the condenser recently I would think you had to get the rad out of the way for that job. Get the front end up in the air and burp the system.

#5 2016-07-18 08:36:00

dotmaster206

arrow-up That's another thought I had as well, but it seemed unlikely since the condenser replacement happened two weeks ago. It seems like this would have come up earlier if there was enough air in there to cause this, no?

I think I'm going to do the thermostat just to remove it from the list of possibilities since it's relatively cheap. I'll be extra careful about burping as well. Any hot tips you might have for when I'm refilling? My current process goes:

- Before draining the system, turn on the car and put it on max heat
- Drain system from the lower radiator hose and replace thermostat
- Fill radiator with 1 gallon of Subaru green coolant (non-premix)
- Fill the coolant reservoir to the fill line with distilled water
- Add remainder of the gallon of distilled water to radiator (it's a Mishimoto, so the system takes about 2 gallons total)
- Once the radiator seems full, squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses for a few minutes to try to pump air out
- Once the bubbles stop, top it completely off and put on the radiator cap
- Repeat the same process with filling the turbo reservoir/squeezing the hoses
- Turn on the car, heat still on max, and let it run until it reaches regular operating temp
- Turn off the car, wait ~10-15 minutes
- Open radiator, top off again, squeeze hoses again, close again
- Open turbo reservoir, top off again, squeeze hoses again, close again

#6 2016-07-18 11:07:56

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

I've done the coolant flush (and a t-stat replacement once during the timing belt service) a couple of times on my own car, and this is the process I follow on a COLD car:

1.) Remove lower radiator hose from radiator, allow to drain as much as possible, and capture as much coolant as you can (for recycling). Using the radiator hose to direct the coolant is much less messy than using the drain on the radiator.
2.) Remove the lower hose from the t-stat housing, then the housing itself and the t-stat. Clean the mating surfaces well and use a new gasket. In my previous experience, the gasket is sourced separate from the t-stat. Re-install both, and thoroughly clean the t-stat housing and radiator necks to remove crusty coolant and corrosion on the aluminum. Put the hose back on with new clamps.
3.) Remove the radiator and turbo coolant reservoir caps. Refill the radiator and overflow bottle (to the MAX line). Reinstall the radiator cap.
4.) Top off the turbo coolant reservoir. Leave the cap off.
5.) Start the car and set the ACC to max heat, recirculation OFF
6.) Add coolant to the turbo reservoir as possible. It will more or less drain the entire thing on startup, keep it full as the car warms up. Once no more bubbles appear, you're done.

Remember that you always leave the highest point of a cooling system open when burping. Fluid will flow with gravity, bubbles will float up to it. Any trapped air in the radiator will find their way out through the overflow bottle or the long way out through the turbo reservoir.

In addition, you never want to work on a hot cooling system, unless you have no alternative (i.e. broken down).

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#7 2016-07-18 14:03:27

dotmaster206

Thanks, that makes sense. How long would you say it takes before you feel comfortable that everything is well burped and you can seal it up again?

#8 2016-07-18 15:32:54

krazykarguy
Supporter

Typically, I would call it good if it stopped taking coolant at the turbo tank, and a check of a cool car (at least 12h cooling time) reveals the tank to still be full.

The bubbles will consolidate somewhere in the engine, and driving will push what little air will be left out the radiator (into the overflow) or to the turbo tank.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#9 2016-07-18 15:37:43

krazykarguy
Supporter

Not to confuse the matter, but are the rad/condenser fans coming on? Did you plug them back in? Fuses good?

2005 Aero 5MT

#10 2016-07-18 17:07:04

dotmaster206

Yeah, the fans run. I did forget to plug them back in at first, but I quickly realized that mistake when I was filling the A/C and they didn't turn on.

#11 2016-07-18 17:13:27

92XAERO87
User Number: 8131

dotMaster I went through all these steps a few months back. There is a Coolant sensor located on the top of the block under the alternator.

This tells the computer in the car when to engage the fans, pump more coolant etc. I was noticing my fans would only engage for when my AC compressor was on and that without proper flow the car would overheat.

All the above are great recommendations but this 20 dollar sensor is also a critical part to eliminating the issue,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carq … emp+sensor

13 Ford Focus ST
05 Saab  92x Aero Winter Beater
03 Land Rover Freelander  
00 Volkswagen Jetta VR6

#12 2016-07-18 22:12:50

dotmaster206

I just did the replacement of the thermostat and a very careful refill of coolant per Krazy's recommendation.

I did a test drive and it did fine. That doesn't mean much, since it overheated about 2 weeks after the last time I refilled it, so, I'll still be watching it closely for a while.

92XAERO87 wrote:

dotMaster I went through all these steps a few months back. There is a Coolant sensor located on the top of the block under the alternator.

This tells the computer in the car when to engage the fans, pump more coolant etc. I was noticing my fans would only engage for when my AC compressor was on and that without proper flow the car would overheat.

All the above are great recommendations but this 20 dollar sensor is also a critical part to eliminating the issue,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carq … emp+sensor

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm pretty sure my coolant sensor is good, though, because the fans do kick after 10 minutes of idling or so. That seems to be operating correctly. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Also, I'm pretty sure the issue was not the thermostat. I tested it in water on the stove and it opened right up. I think I just screwed up the fill last time and somehow the air pocket layed dormant until this past Saturday. Anyway, here's hoping that's the end of it.

As a last note: I got towed through AAA 67 miles on Saturday. I have a basic membership, so it would have cost ~$385 since basic only covers 7 miles of towing. On the tow driver's recommendations, I called AAA while literally riding home in his truck and upgraded to the Plus membership for $144. That covers 100 miles of towing, so I paid nothing for the tow and saved a little over $200. So, just know that if you're ever in a similar spot. No reason to upgrade to Plus until you need it.

#13 2016-07-19 18:12:22

krazykarguy
Supporter

The only other thing that I can think of would be that one or both of your radiator caps is defective and no longer holding pressure.

If you overheat again,  you should probably think about replacing them with high-quality new caps.

2005 Aero 5MT

#14 2016-07-19 20:46:42

dotmaster206

arrow-up Wouldn't I have seen a bunch of coolant around the caps if that was the case though?

#15 2016-07-19 22:00:37

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Probably would have also noticed the steam coming from under the hood.

2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
1972 Mach 1 Mustang (needs engine rebuild)
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone Totaled 02/23

#16 2016-07-20 13:43:23

krazykarguy
Supporter

I have seen Subarus diagnosed with failed head gaskets when it was only a rad cap no longer holding the necessary pressure in the system. Remember that the cap is the pressure relief valve for the system, so if it is no longer holding pressure properly, the car will bleed coolant into the overflow when hot and suck it dry as it cools... Meaning that if the car's cap has failed, the potential to draw air into the system is possible.

2005 Aero 5MT

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.