saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#51 2016-09-04 15:00:41

Justin86
$800 DUI Mod
Supporter
User Number: 3102
Website

Re: Ford Transit Connect

Had to look up the F150 Tonka

Wow

I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#52 2016-09-22 21:38:49

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

I happen to be heading home (Maine) for the weekend for my dad's 70th birthday, and I'm flying into Boston. I'm going to take a look at this while I'm there:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta … /overview/

Here's a question: is it impossible to finance this thing? Or, due to the level of modification I'm going to be doing to it, is outright ownership the only option?

It makes sense to me that there's got to be some limit to modification, but what is that exactly? Like, yeah, the car itself is the collateral. And yeah, I'm going to remove the original transmission and engine and sell them. But I'm also going to replace them with better ones. So, their collateral will exist, just not in it's original form. That kosher? I guess I could just not inform the bank of my plans, but what about the agreed value insurance part? A financed car has requirements for insurance - would that meet them?

I've been googling around and had a hard time finding anything. I wish I could ask the dealer people and trust that they have a clue about these car financing things, but...yeah...definitely not.

#53 2016-09-22 21:56:55

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

If you finance and buy it stock, you should be fine.  Don't think you can finance the mods though.

#54 2016-09-22 22:21:21

dotmaster206

Interesting. I definitely wouldn't be financing the mods. I would insure it in the modified form, as discussed with the agreed-value insurance stuff.

But if I could keep a better cash reserve by financing, and the rates are good, I would go that route. My credit is excellent so there's no reason I should be at a high rate.

#55 2016-09-23 13:45:37

goob_os101
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2572

I am from Maine!   banana

-Goob

#56 2016-09-23 13:46:10

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

goob_os101 wrote:

WAT?

#57 2016-09-24 11:46:52

dotmaster206

goob_os101 wrote:

Oh shit whaddup

#58 2016-09-27 22:00:07

dotmaster206

Okay, so it turns out the financing thing has become moot. I applied for a loan with Lightstream, which is a division of Sun Trust. They approved me for a $15k unsecured auto loan at 1.99% fixed APR for 60 months. Unsecured means they don't put a lien of the vehicle, so there are no insurance requirements and they can't possibly care how much I mess with it.

So that's awesome. I couldn't get a better than 2% rate from anyone else, even with a lien, so I'll be going with them. Their reviews are generally really good, except for all the negative reviews from people who got denied loans. I think they're very tight on credit rating stuff.

#59 2016-09-28 22:27:27

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

Did you ever hear back from your consultants?

I haven't worked on the Transit Connect much.  I'd be more looking at trying to shoehorn a Fusion Sport drivetrain in it with the 2.7 EB. YUM.

#60 2016-09-29 00:19:56

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

3.5TT or bust.

#61 2016-09-29 09:00:20

dotmaster206

bentmettle wrote:

Did you ever hear back from your consultants?

I haven't worked on the Transit Connect much.  I'd be more looking at trying to shoehorn a Fusion Sport drivetrain in it with the 2.7 EB. YUM.

Do you mean the Vaccar Master Garage guys? Oh yeah, I've been talking with them regularly. A bunch of pieces have fallen into place this week.

- I found the starter vehicle. I'm wrapping up the deal later today. I'll post details later.

- The Vaccar guys have been talking to a friend/colleague who has done three Focus ST drive train swaps into Focus sedans. He is able to source full Focus STs from salvage for $2,800-3,800. That's the route we're going. Getting the full car will reduce delays and make sure all the parts needed are right there. It also opens the door to aesthetic modifications. In a perfect world, I'd get the ST wheels, Recaro front seats, steering wheel, gauge cluster, auxiliary gauges, exhaust, and badges all on the van. It would be a TCST. I am super pumped on this idea.

- Labor pricing has been given a range. $5k for just the engine/transmission swap to happen. $8k would be for everything to happen I listed above. We'll see where I land in there. It largely depends on what the FoST source vehicle is like.

- Timeline is slightly iffy, because while I will have the starter vehicle sourced now, Vaccar hasn't started looking for the FoST. That could take a few days or a couple of weeks. They also will be gone at SEMA for the last week of October/first week of November, so that will potentially come in the middle of the build process. They're also in a fairly hectic state getting ready for SEMA currently. So, maybe end of November is a likey completion date. Then I'll fly out to FL and drive that sucker back.

This is happening.

#62 2016-09-29 09:09:54

goob_os101
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2572

Race Vans   roxor

-Goob

#63 2016-09-29 09:31:28

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

I call shotgun!   smile

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#64 2016-09-29 10:23:06

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

This will be amazing if it happens. Definitely crossing my fingers for you. Good luck! up up

#65 2016-09-29 10:56:04

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

If you do any sort of build thread elsewhere, please link here, I'm interested to see how this goes.

#66 2016-09-29 12:28:34

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

No shit! Impressed you're actually taking this idea forward. Agree with Hyper, keep us posted if you post elsewhere!

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#67 2016-09-29 12:41:32

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

I want a test drive! or at least a test ride.

I'm strongly considering something along this route if it all goes smoothly for you.

le sigh

#68 2016-09-29 13:23:50

ERP
User Number: 6585

It sounds like you are getting close to pulling the trigger on the swap, but you may want to still consider importing one from Europe.

drewsro wrote:

You probably won't be able to import one, mainly because of the import ban of 25 years or older

I don't believe this applies to the Ford Transit Connect. I've done some light research on this and the ban is on vehicles that were never certified for US roads, mainly for safety reasons or headlight/taillight standards. But if the Transit Connect in Europe has the same safety features as the US version, it may be pretty easy to import one.

There are a lot of military personnel here in Colorado Springs. At the local car shows its not uncommon to see a Euro import car that is younger than 25 years. A military friend that moved back from Germany imported a BMW. I got to drive it a little, and besides the speedometer being in km and the nav yelling at me to perform a u-turn in German, it was just like the US model.

2015 Tesla P85D - 11.59 @115 mph
2008 Turbo X 20T JZW Stg 5: 415 hp+, 532 tq+
2006 Lotus Elise - Supercharged, 6.3 lbs/hp, 1.55 lateral G's on street tires
2005 9-2x Aero Stg 2

#69 2016-09-29 20:44:43

dotmaster206

Thanks for all the support, I'm really excited.

I may do a build thread on a TC forum, but I might also just post all the stuff here too.

I ran into some hiccups trying to buy the van in Florida today. They apparently require you to register the car in the state you pay taxes to within 45 days or the sale is voided and the dealer must take the vehicle back. Pretty harsh. So, I'm trying to see if we can delay the temporary tag issuing/tax paying until I know for sure that I'll be able to pick it up within that 45 day window. The sales guy said he was talking with the DMV trying to figure out options, but I didn't hear anything from him since about 2pm (4pm their time). We'll see if this one works out. I really hope it does - it's a great find and the Vaccar guys can just go pick it up instead of me trying to arrange shipping through a separate company.

ERP wrote:

It sounds like you are getting close to pulling the trigger on the swap, but you may want to still consider importing one from Europe.

drewsro wrote:

You probably won't be able to import one, mainly because of the import ban of 25 years or older

I don't believe this applies to the Ford Transit Connect. I've done some light research on this and the ban is on vehicles that were never certified for US roads, mainly for safety reasons or headlight/taillight standards. But if the Transit Connect in Europe has the same safety features as the US version, it may be pretty easy to import one.

There are a lot of military personnel here in Colorado Springs. At the local car shows its not uncommon to see a Euro import car that is younger than 25 years. A military friend that moved back from Germany imported a BMW. I got to drive it a little, and besides the speedometer being in km and the nav yelling at me to perform a u-turn in German, it was just like the US model.

Yeah, I didn't look into the legal/customs stuff with importing much because I found that I couldn't get what I wanted anywhere in the world anyway. They do have manuals in Europe and elsewhere obviously, but they don't sell them with a decent engine anywhere but here. The only engine I'd be happy with that it actually comes with is the 1.6L turbo, which is only sold in North America, and there are no manuals offered in North America. The van I want doesn't exist. So, I gotta make it. This will be a lot better than the 1.6L turbo would be with a manual anyway.

#70 2016-09-30 14:16:27

cjaama
User Number: 1885

dotmaster206 wrote:

I may do a build thread on a TC forum, but I might also just post all the stuff here too.

I ran into some hiccups trying to buy the van in Florida today. They apparently require you to register the car in the state you pay taxes to within 45 days or the sale is voided and the dealer must take the vehicle back. Pretty harsh. So, I'm trying to see if we can delay the temporary tag issuing/tax paying until I know for sure that I'll be able to pick it up within that 45 day window. The sales guy said he was talking with the DMV trying to figure out options, but I didn't hear anything from him since about 2pm (4pm their time). We'll see if this one works out. I really hope it does - it's a great find and the Vaccar guys can just go pick it up instead of me trying to arrange shipping through a separate company.

I don't see what the problem is.  Buy it today, take the bill of sale and your insurance card to your DMV and register it tomorrow (or in 44 days).  Yeah, you're paying for 6 weeks of registration/insurance while you're not in possession of the vehicle, but in the grand scheme of things I can't imagine that being a deal breaker.

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat> '16 Chevy Volt/'97 Wrangler

#71 2016-09-30 14:19:52

cjaama
User Number: 1885

ERP wrote:

drewsro wrote:

They also harp on it from the environmental standpoint.  So, if it's an engine that isn't available in the same vehicle here and tested by the EPA, you can't import it.  At least that's my super rudimentary understanding.  But it doesn't really matter, as dotmaster explained, they don't sell it anywhere in the world with the powertrain he's after.

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat> '16 Chevy Volt/'97 Wrangler

#72 2016-09-30 19:07:45

drewsro
Why Am I Still Here?
User Number: 13600

cjaama wrote:

dotmaster206 wrote:

I don't see what the problem is.  Buy it today, take the bill of sale and your insurance card to your DMV and register it tomorrow (or in 44 days).  Yeah, you're paying for 6 weeks of registration/insurance while you're not in possession of the vehicle, but in the grand scheme of things I can't imagine that being a deal breaker.

How could he register it?  Most states that I work with require either a title or title application before they can register a vehicle, and that can take about 2-4 weeks to get.  But I mainly work with Illinois and Indiana, so it could be different in CO.

2005 9-2x Aero 5MT- Stage 2
2007 Toyota Corolla CE
2016 VW GTI S 6MT
Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#73 2016-09-30 19:25:00

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

in CO, you need the title (signed over to you, doesn't have to be issued in CO), a bill of sale (for tax purposes) and ID.  It's a pretty easy process.

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#74 2016-10-01 10:43:59

dotmaster206

The sticking point with the registration is that in CO the vehicle has to physically be in the state to register it because you have to do a VIN verification for any vehicle with an out of state title. There is an exception that allows out of state police or military officer to do the VIN verification, but you can only do that if you're active duty military yourself. So, I can't register it until it gets back in CO after completion.

What we're gonna do to get a little extra time outside the 45 days is I will sign an affidavit and get it notarized that says I'm registering it in CO, which should keep Florida off my case. Then I'll be able to get a max 60 days temporary tags to let me drive it home. Hopefully it will be done within 60 days. If it isn't, I may have to ship it.

So, we cleared that issue up. We're now dealing on price. The final price included $799 in "Dealer Services" which is pretty ridiculous, I think. We'll see if they'll knock that off. I told them no dice on that yesterday afternoon and the salesman said he'd see if we could get that removed. I haven't heard from him yet. Fingers crossed that nobody else is looking at the van and they'll play ball with me on this.

#75 2016-10-01 12:53:08

drewsro
Why Am I Still Here?
User Number: 13600

dotmaster206 wrote:

The final price included $799 in "Dealer Services" which is pretty ridiculous, I think.

That's a bull shit fee.  We charge one at my work and it's only $150.  Just covers some of the cost of processing.  $799 is stupid high, it's pretty much all profit for them.  If it doesn't work out with them, let me know.  I might be able to try to work something for you here and find you one.  Plus we don't have any stupid rules abut having the vehicle picked up by a certain point, once it's paid it can sit in the back of our building for however long you need it to.

2005 9-2x Aero 5MT- Stage 2
2007 Toyota Corolla CE
2016 VW GTI S 6MT
Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.