saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-10-14 07:37:54

samsquantch1
User Number: 33088

Tiny rust rear quarter panel - bad omen?

Hi all,
I've been looking for an Aero with the 4eat for several months and have found a decent looking example near me. The main issue I have is the very start of a small rust discoloration / bubbling on one rear fender. What I'm worried about of course is the inner fender and strut tower. If some is visible on the exterior, I'd imagine quite a bit is rotted out on the inside. Should I pass and keep hoping something will turn up outside of the salt belt and get it shipped?
Thanks a ton,
samsquantch

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-10-14 09:44:35

snowphun
User Number: 890

Re: Tiny rust rear quarter panel - bad omen?

Fender rust is unrelated to strut tower rust. Neither of my wagons had fender rust but one had terrible strut tower rot the other wasn't too bad. If the outer fender is bubbling there is definitely more rot behind the paint and on the inner fender. Only fix it to cut it out, treat and replace, so get some local body shop quotes if you want to own it for a while and not look at that mess.

Fixing the strut tower rot is more critical for safety, I imagine that job would cost a lot at a shop, ideally a DIY task.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.