saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-10-16 08:53:47

TPdrums
User Number: 34688
Website

First timing belt, low miles... still swap everything?

I'm just now reaching 49,000 miles on my 2005 aero.  Given the length of time that the belt has been on the motor, it's time to attend to it.  Since there is such a low amount of miles though,  do I really need to swap the water pump, and all the idler pulleys?

I bought the Gates kit with the water pump thinking I might as well replace those parts while I'm in there,  but I'm noticing that a few of the parts are of Chinese origin.  That gives me cause for concern.
Given the low miles on the motor,  and the meticulous care and easy driving this car has had throughout its pampered and garaged california life,  wouldn't it be better to keep the oem pump and oem idler bearings than to put the Chinese parts on it? Being that they only have 49,000 miles on them they should have plenty of life left....!

The car had a new all aluminum radiator installed with new hoses under a year ago. I'm thinking I'll return the gates kit and get an oem belt. Then do a coolant flush and oil change when I swap the belt.

I know most people would say to do as much as you can while you're in there,  but aren't my lightly used oem parts better than the newer Chinese parts that would be going in from the gates kit....? I've read mixed reviews now on the web about their parts.

The amount of money I'd be saving is also a great motivator here... If I Could afford to have the dealer do the work with all OEM parts,  that would be great. But that's just not in my budget...

Thoughts?    Thanks for the input.

'05 9-2x Aero
www.ToddCreatedWood.com
ToddCreatedWood.blogspot.com

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-10-16 13:24:21

SaabaruRed
User Number: 27905
Website

Re: First timing belt, low miles... still swap everything?

Haven't had problems with the gates kit on my 06, I did do mine at 49k as well (70k on it now). Water pump wise I did go with OEM since people said its hit or miss with the gates one and there's nothing wrong with the gates belts unless you're maybe talking about the blue racing one (blue flakes off). The only thing I'd do is look at the parts and make sure they all move smoothly.

2006 Aero, Brilliant Red, 49k miles bought, 5MT.

#3 2016-10-16 15:34:33

RoRi
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3985

I just did my timing belt last week.  The reviews of the gates kit did seem to be slipping so I opted to get OE parts.  You can get the OE idler pulleys on ebay direct from the manufacturer and save a little.  In your case I would at the very least change out the bottom idler.  From the factory it is just a single bearing pulley, but Subaru replaces it with a duel bearing one.  That pulley was by far the worst on my car.

This is that pulley, you'll need two if you decide to replace everything: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301769248149?_t … EBIDX%3AIT
One of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272038722107?_t … EBIDX%3AIT
And one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271994236970?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

2006 saab 92x Aero - #30/338 - black - 5spd - VF39
1987 Honda CRX Si - B17a1 - LSD - 4.785 FD
1950 Mercury Coupe - restoration project

#4 2016-10-16 15:55:20

TPdrums
Website

Thank you for the great replies.  I'm thinking I'll go ahead and return the gates kit.  Then piece together the OEM parts as best i can, trying to save dollars and cents where i can.  Thank you for the links!  I'm also thinking that i could buy the Aisin water pump instead of the Subaru branded pump if they really are the same thing, made in the same factory...? Anyone know the Aisin part number That corresponds to the Subaru pump- 21111AA240?

'05 9-2x Aero
www.ToddCreatedWood.com

#5 2016-10-16 18:37:13

TPdrums
Website

I did some heavy research on the part numbers and manufacturers for everything needed to do the job. This guy on EBAY has a kit with all the OEM parts from the original manufacturers ready to go for our car (2005 2.0 Aero).  His kit is about $75 cheaper than rounding them up seperately and about $150 or more less than the same parts from the dealer.  It's also only $60 more than the gates kit that is half Chinese.

Thanks for the help with the links.  Hope others find this kit helpful.
http://r.ebay.com/Gyw2nB

'05 9-2x Aero
www.ToddCreatedWood.com

#6 2016-10-16 21:42:26

Rodman
User Number: 1046

Thanks for shearing the results of your research.

2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold.
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm STi ver 7 drivetrain.
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5 speed manual daily driver.
2006 WRX, smoked, should've never betrayed 2.0L love.

#7 2016-10-17 01:09:23

SaabaruRed
User Number: 27905
Website

TPdrums wrote:

Thank you for the great replies.  I'm thinking I'll go ahead and return the gates kit.  Then piece together the OEM parts as best i can, trying to save dollars and cents where i can.  Thank you for the links!  I'm also thinking that i could buy the Aisin water pump instead of the Subaru branded pump if they really are the same thing, made in the same factory...? Anyone know the Aisin part number That corresponds to the Subaru pump- 21111AA240?

There's little to no reason to not use the gates kit components. Unless you're drag racing, pushing 300-400+hp or drive like ass then there's no reason why the kit's pulley's and idlers wouldn't work. Unless the quality of them has gone down hill recently I don't see any reason to go OEM. Pump wise I did because when I did my due diligence the reviews leaned towards the water pump being so so, especially on the ability to move coolant.

2006 Aero, Brilliant Red, 49k miles bought, 5MT.

#8 2016-10-17 01:31:17

TPdrums
Website

The gates kit isn't a bad kit. But just recently they have stopped using the oem manufacturers and switched to Chinese parts. For an average car, those parts will be just fine and last plenty of time.  I just like the piece of mind knowing that i have the best parts i can find at the best price is all.  Not to mention there have been several failures in the last few months related to the gates kit.  I'd rather not guess when it comes to my car.  $60 extra buck for OEM...? Done!

'05 9-2x Aero
www.ToddCreatedWood.com

#9 2016-10-17 13:07:57

92xGot2boostit2
User Number: 37144

TPdrums wrote:

The gates kit isn't a bad kit. But just recently they have stopped using the oem manufacturers and switched to Chinese parts. For an average car, those parts will be just fine and last plenty of time.  I just like the piece of mind knowing that i have the best parts i can find at the best price is all.  Not to mention there have been several failures in the last few months related to the gates kit.  I'd rather not guess when it comes to my car.  $60 extra buck for OEM...? Done!

Agreed!

Thanks for compiling the information everyone.  Good stuff here.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.