saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-10-16 15:36:45

thomn8r
User Number: 7432

Passenger-side healight issues?

My wife's 92-x has flooded the passenger-side headlight twice now, both times blowing out the ballast.  I've done some googling and I found several other people with the same issue; is this a design flaw, bad luck or ???

Someone mentioned re-sealing the headlight, but there was no mention of the actual process or what to use to seal it.

Also, HID 92x HID headlights seem to be hewed of pure unobtainium mixed with unicorn tears.

http://i.imgur.com/7Rip2PX.jpg

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-10-16 15:42:13

thomn8r
User Number: 7432

Re: Passenger-side healight issues?

Follow-up question: is it possible to use a non-HID housing, and just put my HID stuff in it?   There seem to be quite a few non-HID housings on the market, and a lot cheaper.

#3 2016-10-16 18:41:54

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Re: Passenger-side healight issues?

It's a combination of bad design and bad luck. The ballast is on the bottom, so if water gets in, that's where it will collect. If water hasn't been in the headlight for very long, you may not need to spend any money on a new ballast. It's worth a shot just drying it out in the oven at ~200F for a while, reinstalling it, and seeing if it fires up.

To reseal the headlight, you'll need to pull it apart and put it back together again. In your case, you likely need some new sealant. Search for Koji mod instructions and follow those. When you have it out of the car you may be able to physically see where water is getting in, so look very closely.

People have converted their regular halogen light housings into "factory" HID, but I don't know if there's significant modification needed or if the HID stuff just bolts on. Maybe ask RoRi what he did for his: http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1502210#p1502210

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.