saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2006-08-26 00:23:40

eurospek
Supporter
User Number: 181

What's your opinion on the SPT Intake?

What's the good and the bad? Please educate me.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/spt-subaru-intake-wrx-sti.jpg

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod … ts_id=1075

2005 SAAB 9-2X AERO Arctic Silver 4eat | COBB Stage 2 Protuned

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-08-26 00:43:37

dpk777
User Number: 258

Re: What's your opinion on the SPT Intake?

i always thought our stock intake was perfectly sufficient, even with heavy modding?  and that aftermarket intakes were more for just sound and not performance.

but if this intake is known to produce more power instead of just being a bling mod then im much interested.

Black Aero MT

#3 2006-08-26 03:40:41

OldmanTompkins
User Number: 295

Dont go near it. SPT sucks.

The pen is mightier than the sword because the pen gives the word sending swords to war.

#4 2006-08-26 07:46:33

KeyserSoze
F@CKIN BRILLIANT
Supporter
User Number: 539

I would send a PM to Tby since he has one installed on his 92x.  Here's a link with some of his postings regarding the SPT intake.

http://www.saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=7816

2008 Legacy GT 5EAT - IxizSpedal
RIP: 2005 92x Aero - 4EAT/XXTuning Stg2

#5 2006-08-26 09:30:04

tby
User Number: 298
Website

There's a strong anti-intake bias around here so don't expect much useful feedback. Also, do not confuse the Legacy intake from the picture above with the completely different WRX intake — Cobb has released credible testing data showing the Legacy version to be dangerous junk but have said squat so far about the WRX version.

The good: It's a "factory" part, looks nice, makes fun sounds, won't cause the engine to run lean, and it comes with a non-reusable filter so there's no worry about fouling the MAF sensor with filter oil. The install is really easy, you just need a couple of metric sockets and about 30 minutes.

The bad: By my measurements the MAF pipe diameter is about 3-4/64ths of an inch smaller than stock, causing the car to run slightly richer, which is perfectly safe but the Cobb Stage II map is already on the rich side so expect more exhaust "popping" or "after fire" on lift throttle. The metal MAF pipe potentially raises IATs, tho on a moving car I don't think it gets hot enough to matter.

If you're already Stage II and want an intake, I think the SPT is one of the better choices. If you're not Stage II then getting there is probably a much better way to spend your money.

Obligatory installed picture:
http://static.flickr.com/56/189649164_10faa0c1fb.jpg

2005 Aero Sport 5MT Silver
w/ more mods than you!

#6 2006-08-26 11:16:09

eurospek
Supporter
User Number: 181

arrow-up Thanks

OldmanTompkins wrote:

Dont go near it. SPT sucks.

Why so?

2005 SAAB 9-2X AERO Arctic Silver 4eat | COBB Stage 2 Protuned

#7 2006-08-26 13:31:40

Alan l.
Keeping it clean
User Number: 378

Can't comment on the SPT but I'm very happy with the K&N Typhoon intake. 

Pros
Sublte blow off valve sound when you lift off the throttle.  (Just enough to hear it but far from loud)
Throaty sound when your really on it.
Protuner said he's seen 5-10 extra hp on cars with this intake. 

Cons
More prone to heat soak conditions when driving in traffic.  Stock intake would probrably alitle cooler here but either way its getting sucked into a scorching hot turbo and intercooler so i doubt it would make much of a difference either way.

Current -2013 BMW N55 535xi M-Sport SAT
Retired - 2009 BMW N54 335i M-Sport 6MT
Retired - 2005 Saab 92x S2 Protuned IPT 4EAT
More Photos of my car here

#8 2006-08-26 19:22:12

KeyserSoze
F@CKIN BRILLIANT
Supporter
User Number: 539

Maybe this will end the arguement roll

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … &pp=25

Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Manufacturer

Response to SPT/SOA comments

Official PDF found here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/COBB_response_SPT.pdf

This letter is in response to the comments made and reactions as a result of our published findings of the SPT
Intake for the Legacy GT and Outback XT (SOA8431010). In those findings we documented how the vehicle
and related engine management sensors performed when using the SPT High Flow Air Intake assembly as
compared to the stock air intake assembly.

Our company published the results on some Internet forums, and as a result we have drawn criticism from
various levels within the Subaru of America organization. It should be noted that our published findings were
done as a means to benefit our customers, not as a means to hurt sales or perception of SPT or the SPT line of
products.

The release of the SPT High Flow Air Intake has generated a good deal of excitement from enthusiasts. A large
segment of our customer base who use our AccessPORT and maps began inquiring as to the compatibility and
results of using the SPT High Flow Air Intake with our products. Due to the fact that changing the intake system
may alter critical engine management sensor inputs, it was determined that the SPT High Flow Air Intakes
should be tested prior to commenting on their compatibility with our engine management calibrations.

The SPT High Flow Air Intakes part number SOA8431000 (for the WRX and STI) and SOA8431010 (for the
Legacy GT and Outback XT) were purchased by our company for testing. This is a common practice we have
also taken for other company’s intakes when sufficient demand for an endorsement of compatibility from our
company has been requested. The optional heat shields were not ordered due to the unavailability at the time
of ordering.

To date, we have only released the testing results from the SOA8431010 part designed for the Legacy GT and
Outback XT models. This system presented the most concern to us due to some design features which were
outlined in our published results. It should be noted that the SOA8431000 part for the WRX and STI is a
completely different design and does not share at all the same design issues that are present in the
SOA8431010 part. It would not be correct to assume the results of our tests performed on the SOA8431010
(LGT/OBXT) intake will be the same for the SOA8431000 (WRX/STI) intake.

While the results have not been finalized for us to publish our complete findings, we are able to state that the
SPT High Flow Air Intake for the WRX and STI (SOA8431000) has shown performance increases when tested on
a 2004 STI.
We will be publishing our complete findings for our customers once we have completed the
necessary testing. Some delays have been due to the fact that weather conditions here have changed forcing us
to repeat some testing so our results are not in error due to climate conditions.

Our customers requested our endorsement and results of testing the SPT branded intakes. We feel our actions
to do so and publish our results are in character with a company whose priority is the consumer and provide
them with information that they may use to formulate an educated decision when purchasing products.

I would like to apologize on behalf of my company for any misunderstanding that our test results may have
caused. It was never our intention to attack or attempt to discredit SPT and/or SOA’s products or services.

Moving forward, we would be happy and quite honored to assist on some level with product development and/
or testing for SPT. I feel it could benefit both organizations, and ultimately provide a better product to the
enthusiasts of Subaru vehicles.

In closing, I would urge fellow enthusiasts not to judge an entire line of product based on test results of only
one part. What makes a company and brand great isn’t simply releasing a few good products, it is their ability
to refine their products, improve the design, and when a mistake occurs -- their ability to address it quickly and
professionally. We have no doubt that SPT is, and will continue to be, a great brand offering great products.

Sincerely,
Trey Cobb
COBB Tuning, Inc.

Last edited by KeyserSoze (2006-08-26 19:24:58)

2008 Legacy GT 5EAT - IxizSpedal
RIP: 2005 92x Aero - 4EAT/XXTuning Stg2

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.