saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2006-09-13 09:26:23

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

Jobhunting in Denver...advice sought

Howdy guys. I've spoken to at least one of you privately, but figured I would tap into the collective thoughts of the group, small though it might be.

I've been trying to move out to the Denver area for a while; in fact, I was on my way when I got a last minute contract with a substantial pay increase over my old job. I accepted, thinking I might be able to set aside the extra money to aid in the move while simultaneously conducting my job search. In the ensuing months, though, I haven't had so much as a nibble (making me both glad I accepted the job but also worried that long distance searches DON'T work in the Denver area). I'm hoping that one of you has some advice for jobhunting in Denver.

To give you a brief rundown of my background, I received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering; I have worked most recently as a Validation Engineer, doing brake system performance testing. Prior to this role, I was a Validation Engineer involved in subsystem testing as well as full vehicle integration. I have experience as a design engineer, am schooled in a number of CAD programs and have even supported non-technical business functions such as recruiting and developing transitional experiences for new hires. I have some sales and customer service experience, and am willing to consider a number of career options. Most importantly, I don't need to move up the career ladder, but at a minimum, I would like to move laterally into a related position (perhaps transitioning into technical sales or teaching). I can go on at length; to spare you, I won't.

Any advice you might provide will be taken into consideration and is greatly appreciated!

le sigh

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-09-13 12:33:58

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

Re: Jobhunting in Denver...advice sought

Here's a job that was advertised through my company just this weekend.  I'm not sure if it is more or less than you are looking for.  I'll keep an eye on this market for you.  Other than that, I guess you should try the big sites like Monster or CareerBuilder and see what comes up.  Or if you know the companies that are out herre, maybe try there websites and see if anything is listed.

CAD Designers

Swanson Rink, Inc.
1120 Lincoln St.
Suite 1200
Denver, CO 80203
Fax: 303-832-7563
sri@rink.com

Tired of only working in a 2-D environment?  Looking for a new challenge with growth potential?  Swanson Rink, a Denver based engineering firm, needs Mechanical and Electrical Drafters to join their 3-D team.  They offer great salary and benefits.  To apply, send your resume to Swanson Rink, Incorporated, 1120 Lincoln Street, Suite 1200, Denver, Colorado 80203 or fax to 303-832-7563.

#3 2006-09-13 13:43:05

srv1211
Linears are 92Xs too!
User Number: 683

When I was looking to move out here about 8 years ago, I would get contacted by companies that were interested until they found out that I did not live in Denver yet.  This was the case even if I told them that i had friends to stay with and could be there next week.  I ended up biting the bullet and moving out here without a job, and luckily got a pretty good one in my first week. 

If I were to do it again I would find a way to have a local Denver address, get a Denver phone number and make the companies think you are already here.  Make sure that you have a place to stay on short term (friend or whatever) if you do get a job.  When they contact you, if you have to disclose that you are not in Denver at the moment, say that you are visiting family and will be returning to Denver soon. 

I did much of this with one potential employeer and it worked well (but they hired the internal canditate!).  I came out for an interview thinking I would be staying with friends for 3 days and ended up being here for 3 weeks and 4 interviews with the one company.  So you have to be flexible and willing to make the trips out here.

For some reason, many companies do not like out of town candidates even if you say that you are not expecting relocation $.

Good luck,

'05 9-2x Linear - "arrest me red", 5MT, sunroof, cold package w/engine block heater, black WRX roof rails, Saab 17" BBS RK(summer), FHI 20mm rear sway bar, Pioneer touch screen audio and navi, IxizHood, Hella Micro DE, Hidden Hitch

'89 Isuzu I-Mark RS -w/ factory Lotus tuned suspension and engine 1.6l DOHC(my toy)
'75 Fiat Spider-restoration in progress

#4 2006-09-13 14:04:39

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter

srv1211 wrote:

When I was looking to move out here about 8 years ago, I would get contacted by companies that were interested until they found out that I did not live in Denver yet.  This was the case even if I told them that i had friends to stay with and could be there next week.  I ended up biting the bullet and moving out here without a job, and luckily got a pretty good one in my first week. 

If I were to do it again I would find a way to have a local Denver address, get a Denver phone number and make the companies think you are already here.  Make sure that you have a place to stay on short term (friend or whatever) if you do get a job.  When they contact you, if you have to disclose that you are not in Denver at the moment, say that you are visiting family and will be returning to Denver soon. 

I did much of this with one potential employeer and it worked well (but they hired the internal canditate!).  I came out for an interview thinking I would be staying with friends for 3 days and ended up being here for 3 weeks and 4 interviews with the one company.  So you have to be flexible and willing to make the trips out here.

For some reason, many companies do not like out of town candidates even if you say that you are not expecting relocation $.

Good luck,

Yeah, I have an address I can use; I am just reluctant to use it because I will need to travel on such short notice. But, as you said, I may need to just bite the bullet.

Thanks!

le sigh

#5 2006-09-13 14:07:45

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter

Azrael wrote:

Here's a job that was advertised through my company just this weekend.  I'm not sure if it is more or less than you are looking for.  I'll keep an eye on this market for you.  Other than that, I guess you should try the big sites like Monster or CareerBuilder and see what comes up.  Or if you know the companies that are out herre, maybe try there websites and see if anything is listed.

CAD Designers

Swanson Rink, Inc.
1120 Lincoln St.
Suite 1200
Denver, CO 80203
Fax: 303-832-7563
sri@rink.com

Tired of only working in a 2-D environment?  Looking for a new challenge with growth potential?  Swanson Rink, a Denver based engineering firm, needs Mechanical and Electrical Drafters to join their 3-D team.  They offer great salary and benefits.  To apply, send your resume to Swanson Rink, Incorporated, 1120 Lincoln Street, Suite 1200, Denver, Colorado 80203 or fax to 303-832-7563.

Thanks, Azrael. I have profiles on both Monster and Careerbuilder; while there are engineering jobs, they are primarily in different concentrations than I studied. I'll keep plugging away.

Btw, what is your opinion of the Art Institute of Colorado? I've considered taking some classes there (toward a degree, not just for fun), but am a bit torn- I get the feeling it isn't particularly renowned in the design community (industrial, product, furniture, that kind of thing).

le sigh

#6 2006-09-13 14:15:57

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

I think over all, it's geared more towards the business side of things rather than the design.  And I think it's overpriced.

But, my friends seemed to like the industrial design program.  I think it's really a matter of how much effort you are willing to put into it dictates how much you will get out of it, but I guess thats true anywhere.

#7 2006-09-13 14:28:52

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter

Azrael wrote:

I think over all, it's geared more towards the business side of things rather than the design.  And I think it's overpriced.

But, my friends seemed to like the industrial design program.  I think it's really a matter of how much effort you are willing to put into it dictates how much you will get out of it, but I guess thats true anywhere.

Hmmm. Are any of your friends employed in the design field? If you don't mind, I'd love to chat with them regarding their experiences in school and outside.

If I go back to school fulltime, I'm considering both College for Creative Studies in Detroit and Art Institute, but don't know if it is stupid to even compare the two- I kind of feel like I'm comparing a good school like Stanford (that would be CCS) to the University of Phoenix (Art Institute, in this instance). CCS is even more expensive, but it does offer opportunities such as international exchanges that Art Institute doesn't. But... it's Denver AND cheaper....

le sigh

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.