saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2014-06-18 20:16:18

MGD
User Number: 14593

Phenolic Spacer Install Help

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to these forums and am looking for some help.

I have a Grimmspeed 8mm Phenolic spacer I am looking to install on my 92x Linear. I am always looking for ways to make my car more powerful without the loss in efficiency and if anything a gain in the latter. The phenolic spacer seemed like a good place to start, so I ordered one from Grimmspeed which has always sounded like a great company. I made the mistake of ordering one before trying to find a tutorial or detailed write up of an install and as such I haven't found one after weeks of looking. Having looked at the intake manifold long enough it doesn't seem like a difficult install, just keep a level head and don't be stupid (which is most of life anyway). However I don't know if there is anything I should watch out for, problems and other parts I will need to order. With that my main concern is a copper pipe on the back driver side of the intake manifold with a itty bitty heat shield; no idea what it is for or called, so I have no idea if I can order a longer one or if it will need to be bent. I planned on doing this last month with several other bolt on mods I did, until I realized I didn't do my reading for the install, so hopefully end of August when when I plan on changing fluids.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2014-06-19 03:11:03

Bradrcr
Beer Jedi
User Number: 7247

Re: Phenolic Spacer Install Help

Normally people pull the intake manifold to install these, so I haven't seen a 'simplified' set of instructions. That being said, once they're on, everything will still fit and connect fine. I have the 8mm, and my only issue is the top mount piping. I suggest doing a search for the factory manifold installation/removal instructions, as I found them online, and read through them. If you can get all the bolts out reasonably, this will clue you in about anything else you'll want to/need to loosen to get them on.

'05 SaaBeeru Areo
'11 WTF(WRX) Hatch
'08 BMW 335i Convertible
'67 Cougar XR7

#3 2014-06-19 11:00:36

b00duh
User Number: 3387

When I did my ixizice installation, I made sure to label every single hose that I disconnected that way it made it easier to put back together.

2005 Saabaru 9-2x Linear
Specs: arctic silver/5mt/cold weather package/sunroof

#4 2014-06-19 15:55:57

snow_bound26
05 aero
User Number: 18721

Sorry to but in with a question here on someone else's thread, but it's on topic at least.  I have heard mixed reviews as to whether the phenolic spacer is worth it.  I am thinking about doing it when I have my intake PnP'd since it will be off anyway. Does it actually do what it's designed to? Or, is it more of a gimmick?  If there is any chance that it works then I will prob do it since they aren't expensive.  After all, colder air is colder air.

#5 2014-06-19 17:02:08

Serow225
User Number: 3504

MGD, why don't you just email sales@grimmspeed.com and request install instructions, they normally respond within a day (often within hours). Or call them, it's only 4PM here in Minnesota  cool Also ask them to put the instructions up on their site, like they normally do. Say hi to them from Eric tongue

You can also do the TB coolant bypass mod to help reduce intake temps if you want, look it up online - it's a little bit contentious though, some people like it others don't.

#6 2014-06-19 20:31:35

MGD

I will look for a factory instructions as well as email Grimmspeed about it. My plan was to get it to were I could lift up the manifold high enough and slide the spacers and new gaskets on under so I didn't need to undo everything attached to it.

I will look into the TB Coolant Bypass, sounds like something I might want to do, depending on price.

As I said though my main concern in the copper pipe on the back driver side. Still can't find what it is and thats the main thing holding me up.

#7 2014-06-25 20:13:37

MGD

After some looking I have found the factory instructions on the area, Grimmspeed does not have install interactions for the Spacer.

The copper pipe I was worried about is an EGR Tube, but no one seems to sell them let alone a longer one. So I need to figure out how to lengthen it, or get ride of it.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.