saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2015-02-02 05:51:57

SaabaruRed
User Number: 27905
Website

Linear vs Aero and packages!!

So my girlfriend drives a bit of a unicorn herself, a 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo. Introduced me to the same Saabaru's that are the 9-2x models for my first car. I must say I'm absolutely smitten with the brilliant red unicorns that are these 9-2x's. Previously I'd been looking for my first ever car in a san remo red impreza outback sport. Realizing these don't have turbo's I've gotta ask a few questions about the linear vs aeros in Colorado and how many brilliant reds there are, and if people find them for sale.

How well do the Linear/2.5i's do up and down i-70, particularly in the mountains?
How well do the Aeros do?

Auto or manual on the aeros? I've heard manual but want to hear from auto owners.

How many brilliant red aeros have people seen around Colorado...

... and do you ever see the brilliant red aeros for sale?

I'm at a spot in my life where I can afford my first car here in a few weeks or a month or two. Living in a small town of summit county (breck/keystone) I've been able to get away with riding a bike to work, using the bus, getting rides from my gf, etc, but I have a chance at a car so I'm doing some digging.

Thanks!

2006 Aero, Brilliant Red, 49k miles bought, 5MT.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2015-02-02 08:46:53

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Re: Linear vs Aero and packages!!

I happen to have one of those brilliant red unicorns. I love it.

The Linears don't do that great in the mountains. There's quite a lot of power loss happening at altitude. I-70 you're generally okay, but areas like heading east up near the tunnel where it's a long windy uphill you're going to struggle to maintain 65. My girlfriend has a 2014 Crosstrek XV (very popular around here) which has similar power/weight and she's gotta really wring that thing out to keep it up to speed on Loveland and Berthoud pass and the like. That's not to say it can't get around. It gets there, it just takes quite a bit more effort. She has the 5 speed manual in that, btw.

My car, on the other hand, is an absolute joy up in the altitude. It does still loose a bit of power when you get up there, but not very noticeable - the turbo compensates pretty well. I know you wanted to hear from auto owners, but here's another manual guy telling you to forget about automatics. They are less efficient and will play gear hunter all day in the mountains trying to keep up.

If you're looking for an '06 red Aero with a 5MT like mine, my understanding is they make about 20 of them. Krazycarguy knows better than I do, though. If you drop the unicorn requirement (allowing for '05s into the hunt), your options expand a little more. Best of luck on your search!

#3 2015-02-02 12:36:40

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

I don't see a mention of 06 vs. 05 so it may be the SaabaruRed is just referring to the red Aero Saabarus (05&06) as being unicorns. Like was stating in the other thread you started, it will take some time if you aren't flexible on the color but if you're willing to travel one will come up eventually that fits your requirements. It took me a couple months to find one that fit what I was looking for, but I wasn't really particular on what color I got. If you can wait and you regularly check the usual car search websites as well as here you'll find be able to find one.

In terms of Aero vs. Linear and Auto vs. Manual, go manual Aero for sure! I test drove a Linear first and while the owner (awesome, well respected guy on the forum still) had done just about every suspension mod possible and then some, it didn't have the power I was looking for. I can imagine in the mountains, that feeling would be exaggerated even more so. Get an Aero, and get a manual, if like dotmaster says, you don't want to be chasing gears while going uphill.

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#4 2015-02-02 12:46:14

SaabaruRed
User Number: 27905
Website

Yeah I live up in Summit County (Dillon/Keystone area) and I'm use to N/A engines and the 45-50ish speeds and gear hunting. My girls Baja is auto, I'm guessing since its turbo and only 4 speeds that it can't do the gear hunt I'm commonly familiar with on anything N/A, so an auto Aero *might* work, but I'd love to learn manual.

If, and when, I do find my own unicorn, I'd absolutely love to get it tuned for high altitude. Sadly, I can't think of any place here that would do a tune at this altitude and not familiar with any shop in the Denver area either.

I'm honestly not bent on having just an '06 Aero, '05 would do also. I did read on here that if you plan on doing mods at some point, the '06 is the one to do it on.

I've seen your unicorn and I've been drooling all day just looking at the photos. What package did you have on yours again? If its the cold weather, does the heated wipers make a huge difference in the cold or is it so-so when it snows?

You should let me see it if you happen to be around the Dillon/Keystone/Frisco/Breck areas, I definitely want to check one out in person. I do see silver Aero's for sale, a little more mileage than I'd like (120k+), but the other option would be a red paint job for it if all thats "wrong" is the color. Heck, I'm even willing to fly down somewhere and buy it if a red one pops up. I figure I have some time, but I don't want to wait six months, just to find out its everything I want but some absurd miles on it.

2006 Aero, Brilliant Red, 49k miles bought, 5MT.

#5 2015-02-02 16:24:50

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

Check out the "solid overall production figures" thread stickied in the 9-2x info section. Lots of info there...

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#6 2015-02-02 22:28:36

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

SaabaruRed wrote:

If, and when, I do find my own unicorn, I'd absolutely love to get it tuned for high altitude. Sadly, I can't think of any place here that would do a tune at this altitude and not familiar with any shop in the Denver area either.

I spoke with Harvey at The Boost Creep in Longmont about high altitude tuning. He basically told me that's not a thing to worry about. Your ECU will adjust for the oxygen (or lack therof). Optimizing your tune for high altitude isn't really going to gain you anything. So that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm honestly not bent on having just an '06 Aero, '05 would do also. I did read on here that if you plan on doing mods at some point, the '06 is the one to do it on.

SaabaruRed wrote:

I've seen your unicorn and I've been drooling all day just looking at the photos. What package did you have on yours again? If its the cold weather, does the heated wipers make a huge difference in the cold or is it so-so when it snows?

I have everything but the leather seats. So, yes it has a heated wiper park area. I don't think it does much, though. It's hard to tell if it's more the heater on defrost hitting the windshield vs the wiper park area. I wouldn't make the cold weather package a sticking point if I were you. I guess the heated seats are pretty nice, though.

SaabaruRed wrote:

You should let me see it if you happen to be around the Dillon/Keystone/Frisco/Breck areas, I definitely want to check one out in person.

I do get out there for skiing, but I doubt my girlfriend would love the detour. If I'm ever headed up that way without her I'll let you know.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.