saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-06-27 21:01:21

meisen
User Number: 2296

The one here I let you tell me about what my next car should be

Well, after 9 good years (2nd owner of my Aero) I'm starting to think it's time to move on. Not really sure where to go next, the budget is pretty small for a car purchase (damn mortgages and house shit!) so might be a lease, might be used. So what should I look at?

I'd prefer something with AWD, wife sometimes has to drive no matter what the weather is. And I like it for ski trips and dicey 15% grade driveways in winter. I don't care about power as much as I used to (I won't mod or tune it most likely), would like something that handles reasonably well. Price range is realistically 15-20k, might stretch to 25K if we do OK on the VW refund.

Crosstrek- I'm not sure why I want one of these.....but it's better than a minivan, right?
Outback probably out of my price range & maybe larger than I really need
Audi A3 I'm still mildly pissedat VAG about our TDI. But with that refund check in hand, I probably won't be.
Golf R- VAG  sadbanana as above. And definitely out of my price range and used ones are pretty freaking used....but maybe the money fairy will come?
Forester-not jazzed about a mini truck..but that's kind of what the crosstrek is isn't it?
Honda Crosstour- I can't figure out wtf this car is supposed to be. But rode in one and it seems pretty slick. Fits four road bikes in the backseat without major disassembly.

I can get ford family pricing but not feeling it really...

What else am I missing?

His:05 Aero 5MT back from the near dead, arctic silver, premium,cold and sport packages, Cobb Stage II with Cobb DP and P&P catless UP, STI catback, Cobb RSB, Prodrive Wagon Springs, ixizshift II w/momo knob, homelink mirror, OEM gauge pod, Paranoid Fabrications subframe.  17" stockers with Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, 16" stockers w/blizzak WS-60s.  Hers: Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-06-27 22:36:00

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Re: The one here I let you tell me about what my next car should be

meisen wrote:

Crosstrek- I'm not sure why I want one of these.....but it's better than a minivan, right?

It's a good thing you don't care about power, because that is the biggest problem the Crosstrek has. My fiance has one, and it is a generally good car. But holy shit, it is woefully under powered. Foot to the floor, revving the shit out of that thing, it is barely picking up speed in 2nd gear. No joke.

Really, though, if you don't care about that, it is surprisingly capable with the bigger suspension and whatnot. I think some of them look pretty awesome when done up a little bit, too. Mudflaps, some knobby-ish tires, roof basket, etc...pretty sweet.

Also, it's way different from a minivan. I mean, this is a very compact car. 5 people can fit, but its really tight and the trunk space is quite minimal as well. It has the same amount of space as a Toyota Corolla or something like that. Apples and oranges.

Honda Crosstour- I can't figure out wtf this car is supposed to be. But rode in one and it seems pretty slick. Fits four road bikes in the backseat without major disassembly.

Kill it with fire. On par with the PT Cruiser or Pontiac Aztec in terms of aesthetics.

Maybe look at a Mazda CX-5 if you're looking at Foresters and Crosstreks.

#3 2016-06-27 22:55:10

sohlman
21O2OLOR MA I
User Number: 11977

I see quiet a few used 2015 WRXs going for around $20,000 so that might be something to consider.

06' Silver Aero 5MT
-White 2015 WRX - Whiteline rear swaybar, Perrin Spherical endlinks, Perrin brass shifter bushing, Cobb J pipe, Cobb Accessport, custom buzzard damage, Cobb Catback
-1968 Land Rover Seres IIA 88in- Top speed 65ish downhill, 0-60 if you're lucky, RHD, 2 1/4 liter diesel, a mess but it's my mess

#4 2016-06-28 09:54:34

eazy-e
hybrid swapped
User Number: 14032

ford has some sport hatch offerings if I remember correctly  spider

'05 AERO 5mt - Desert Silver - 2.5 hybrid swap - JE pistons - IHI VF39 - Mishimoto TMIC - STI pink injectors - Cobb EBCS - ACT lightweight flywheel - AEM 320 fuel pump - Cobb XLE BPV - Mishimoto radiator - Cobb springs - Kartboy short shifter - Godspeed swaybar - 92k mi.

#5 2016-06-28 09:59:50

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

meisen wrote:

What can you get for a Focus RS?

#6 2016-06-28 10:21:48

deliverator
User Number: 1114

iamchris wrote:

meisen wrote:

Or a Fusion Sport?

#7 2016-07-05 19:27:48

meisen

deliverator wrote:

iamchris wrote:

meisen wrote:

Or a Fusion Sport?

Good questions...I suppose I should find out. Its usually a bit below dealer invoice pricing. Basically, at least from what dealers have told me, (and could be total bs) what a hard/well-done negotiation on a plentiful car should net you.

His:05 Aero 5MT back from the near dead, arctic silver, premium,cold and sport packages, Cobb Stage II with Cobb DP and P&P catless UP, STI catback, Cobb RSB, Prodrive Wagon Springs, ixizshift II w/momo knob, homelink mirror, OEM gauge pod, Paranoid Fabrications subframe.  17" stockers with Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, 16" stockers w/blizzak WS-60s.  Hers: Jetta Sportwagen TDI

#8 2016-07-05 19:30:23

meisen

dotmaster206 wrote:

meisen wrote:

It's a good thing you don't care about power, because that is the biggest problem the Crosstrek has. My fiance has one, and it is a generally good car. But holy shit, it is woefully under powered. Foot to the floor, revving the shit out of that thing, it is barely picking up speed in 2nd gear. No joke.

Really, though, if you don't care about that, it is surprisingly capable with the bigger suspension and whatnot. I think some of them look pretty awesome when done up a little bit, too. Mudflaps, some knobby-ish tires, roof basket, etc...pretty sweet.

Also, it's way different from a minivan. I mean, this is a very compact car. 5 people can fit, but its really tight and the trunk space is quite minimal as well. It has the same amount of space as a Toyota Corolla or something like that. Apples and oranges.

Kill it with fire. On par with the PT Cruiser or Pontiac Aztec in terms of aesthetics.

Maybe look at a Mazda CX-5 if you're looking at Foresters and Crosstreks.

lol lol lol lol

Thanks for the input. Yeah, not a minivan is key. I won't succumb! I dunno, perhaps hard to go from 285ish hp to nada.

Ill check the cx-5.

#9 2016-07-06 12:07:48

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

If AWD is a concern and you don't want a minivan but aren't huge on losing power, what about the Forester XT? I see you mentioned it and the Crosstek, but size-wise it's completely different than the Crosstek. You have to determine how much space you realistically need and go from there. My wife is very happy with the power from our NA 2014 Forester, and I don't mind it when driving it either. Sure I could've been upsold on the XT but the NA motor does the job just fine.

2019 VW Alltrack 6MT
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | SOLD

#10 2016-07-06 15:55:31

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

I'm happy with my XT.  Got a Touring without Eyesight or Nav but not a biggie.  Love the keyless entry and push button start.  Already installed Hella horns, rear tonneau cover and oem mud flaps.  Next up is led bulbs for the fog lights, a 20mm rear sway bar, fumoto valve, 400ft range remote start kit, shock sensor kit, red footwell lighting kit, and some spare keys.  Installing all I can but some bits will still need to be activated by the dealership sad
Oh, price was 30k out the door, it is a 15 with 12k miles on it.

2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
1972 Mach 1 Mustang (needs engine rebuild)
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone Totaled 02/23

#11 2016-10-11 19:59:43

meisen

I think the forester is growing on me. Nice amount of space, extra clearance for those tough slogs in deep snow and not bad looking. Next week putting my car up for sale, will start shopping 2014-15 foresters when it's gone

#12 2016-10-11 21:38:51

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

I looked at almost identical cars for my wife.  We ended up with a Focus hatch.  We picked up a 2013 with leather, 23k miles for a little over 10K.  The C max felt too close to a van.

We looked at a 2012 Impreza and it was much noisier and I really disliked the CVT.  MT would have been OK, but it's still a lot noisier than a Crossteck.

Volvo V40 if you can find one low miles and good condition.  S60 if it's not out of your price range, it has an AWD and is so nice to drive.  Fantastic cars. We also looked at older, cleaner examples of foresters, but 2009 is when they got huge, so not as easy to find a 2008 that is nice and low miles.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#13 2016-10-12 14:52:26

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#14 2016-10-12 15:41:44

jixaw
User Number: 35856

hey there....my girlfriend bought a new Crosstrek....its a great car...its pretty much just an impreza up about 8 inches...great amenities....its a beast in foul weather....she likes that its footprint is similar to a small car

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear (**sold**) - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#15 2016-10-14 08:30:17

meisen

Pyromancy5 wrote:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=104&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2266&zip=43209#listing=152932023

Damn that's a nice looking wagon

#16 2016-10-16 12:52:14

lobatt
User Number: 4337

lickolepi wrote:

If you want to do something really nice for your Saab:
http://luxxio.co.nz/

This guy a spammer.    Do not open

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.