saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-09-12 21:18:09

jayffinity
User Number: 37952

BAT Light and Brake light on + Battery is over charging up to 14.8...

Hi, Long story short... I got rear ended at 10mph, ugh. Got it repaired, I drive away and now the BAT Light and Brake light is on + Battery is over charging up to 14.8.

Not sure why this would happen, the body shop says they didn't touch anything under the hood. Weird coincidence he says... um ok.

I read up on the BAT Light and Brake light being on, that points to a new alternator.

I changed the alternator and the lights are still on, plus it's still overcharging up to 14.8 with the stereo blasting and A/C cranked up. Also the battery is fine... not brand new but still fine.

Anyone know what could be the issue? We've begun checking all cables leading to lights... battery cables are fine, no fuses blown. I even thought perhaps the body shop messed up my rear light wiring... they say it's ok.

Can't figure this out, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-09-12 21:31:30

elislider
accept no substitutes
User Number: 25881

Re: BAT Light and Brake light on + Battery is over charging up to 14.8...

you might have a shorted ground in the rear somewhere that is causing a parasitic drain and making the alternator work too hard.

#3 2016-09-12 21:38:53

jayffinity

Thanks for the info... i'll check that. I assume/hope it'd be where they disconnected the lights... Any ideas where it could be?

#4 2016-09-13 09:39:48

jixaw
User Number: 35856

these lights came on for me last week...i thought i had a bad alternator as well.....the car needs to go in for repairs anyways so i figured id just leave my jumper in the car till then.....my engine bay is so filthy from the car's previous life on a farm so i cleaned the engine bay with GUNK and water......thought it was dry...fired it up and all my idiot lights were on...no tach.....took it for a spin...wouldnt go over 10mph....came back home...let it dry out....this is the key i think - i scrubbed the battery terminals then sprayed them with terminal cleaner..... fired her up again and no idiot lights on and tach works.......check your terminals

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear (**sold**) - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#5 2016-09-13 11:23:08

jayffinity

jixaw wrote:

these lights came on for me last week...i thought i had a bad alternator as well.....the car needs to go in for repairs anyways so i figured id just leave my jumper in the car till then.....my engine bay is so filthy from the car's previous life on a farm so i cleaned the engine bay with GUNK and water......thought it was dry...fired it up and all my idiot lights were on...no tach.....took it for a spin...wouldnt go over 10mph....came back home...let it dry out....this is the key i think - i scrubbed the battery terminals then sprayed them with terminal cleaner..... fired her up again and no idiot lights on and tach works.......check your terminals

Thanks I'll check for it... though i'm pretty sure it wasn't washed or that the terminals are wet. Still can't figure it out... ugh

#6 2016-09-13 11:27:09

jixaw

i really dont think my terminals were wet....i think they were corroded....I brushed them off, and when i sprayed that terminal cleaner (acid eater), it bubbled up and then the terminals came clean....i just wanted to tell you about getting everything wet just in case it was at all related...

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear (**sold**) - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#7 2016-09-13 13:39:14

jayffinity

jixaw wrote:

i really dont think my terminals were wet....i think they were corroded....I brushed them off, and when i sprayed that terminal cleaner (acid eater), it bubbled up and then the terminals came clean....i just wanted to tell you about getting everything wet just in case it was at all related...

Thank you for the info! I should have answers today... getting to work on it soon.

#8 2016-09-14 14:58:37

jayffinity

Update: Still haven't figured this out! I've checked ground wires... there was even one on the back end near the rear non driver side tail light which I thought it would be... it's not.

The battery cable leading to the alternator is fine, battery terminals are fine.

It's got a new alternator in... still the BAT and E brake light are on... and it's overcharging to the battery at 14.7-14.8.

I also have my COBB accessport... when I run the diagnostics it comes up with no errors. So weird! I even reset the ECU and the error messages still appear.

When I disconnect the wire from the alternator to the SBF fuse box the battery drops down to normal Voltage (12)... as soon as I plug in the wire to the alternator it spikes back up to 14.7-14.8.

That means there's some type of short, or something is making the battery over charge.

I'm totally stumped.

#9 2016-09-14 16:16:44

Tactical Pancake
Pancake Member
User Number: 37064

could always try the pull the fuses out one by one until you see the voltage drop back to normal... although this may not work if the car is running and you need ecu and fuel pump... just don't touch the airbag fuse unless you want to go flying.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero - VF 37 Spec C twin scroll setup, Protuned to 330 pwnies-

#10 2016-09-14 16:29:48

jayffinity

Tactical Pancake wrote:

could always try the pull the fuses out one by one until you see the voltage drop back to normal... although this may not work if the car is running and you need ecu and fuel pump... just don't touch the airbag fuse unless you want to go flying.

Is is worth checking even if I've already checked all of the fuses?

#11 2016-09-14 16:43:38

Tactical Pancake
Pancake Member
User Number: 37064

not check, pull it out and test if the voltage returns to normal. if you have a short by your description then its enough to pull decent current without it popping the fuse... juice has to be going some where. keep at it.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero - VF 37 Spec C twin scroll setup, Protuned to 330 pwnies-

#12 2016-09-28 13:54:00

jixaw

so the other day both those lights came back on again....then when i started her up last night, they were off again....

#13 2016-10-18 22:52:39

jayffinity

Hey, sorry for the lag in replying... honestly I'm still a bit baffled by this error. Turns out the battery wasn't fastened down to the battery box or strapped down to anything! It frayed a wire which runs to the alternator which sent things to overcharge. That was the fix... shitty thing was it spewed acid which has since then begun corroding and rusting the inside of the engine compartment. I've done a bit of a temp fix (baking soda), but need to further neutralize the acid, then go in a prime the areas to make sure there's no more rusting and corrosion.

As for the battery, got a new battery, box and tie down kit to ensure the battery isn't going anywhere.

Long story short, it was a bad wire... I'd say if the BAT and brake lights turn on check all of your wires first. Hope this helps anyone out there... what a nightmare!

#14 2016-10-19 10:15:04

jixaw

sounds like what i had...acid eater spray solved it for me

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.