saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-10-21 12:52:34

Smitty11
User Number: 3757

Smoke and Overheating

Hey guys,

I was driving my 2005 Saab 92x (123,xxx miles) today and noticed that at a stop light there was smoke coming out from near the right front wheel and the hood scoop. Pulled over to a parking lot to check it out, theres coolant all over the underside of my car, even on the rear right mudflap. The temperature gauge keeps going up after the smallest amount of driving.

Had the radiator and radiator hoses replaced about 3 months ago with no problems, until now.

Thinking coolant hose leak, but not sure. Doesn't smell like oil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2005 92x Aero 5MT/Cold Weather Package/ Prodrive Exhaust

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-10-21 14:12:26

skidave
User Number: 4770

Re: Smoke and Overheating

I know you say coolant, but if you're not positive that it's coolant I'd check the passenger CV boot. Both of my Saabarus had a torn CV boot on the passenger side. Sprays grease everywhere which smokes when it lands on the exhaust and other hot bits.

Edit: nevermind, missed your mention of the car overheating.

05 Arctic Silver Aero MT Stage 2
05 Blue Aero MT Stage 2 - Totaled 5/10/14 by stop sign runner sad

#3 2016-10-21 14:30:26

92XAERO87
User Number: 8131

skidave wrote:

I know you say coolant, but if you're not positive that it's coolant I'd check the passenger CV boot. Both of my Saabarus had a torn CV boot on the passenger side. Sprays grease everywhere which smokes when it lands on the exhaust and other hot bits.

Edit: nevermind, missed your mention of the car overheating.

I was going to say the same thing.

Sounds to me like the ancillary hoses for the Turbo might be cracked. Check the back lines to be sure.

Also if you do find the leak, I learned from experience you might as well change the coolant temp sensor on the engine (under the alternator).

Had mine leak and overheat last year. Replaced every line on the car and still overheated. Here to find the sensor burned itself up when it was leaking.

13 Ford Focus ST
05 Saab  92x Aero Winter Beater
03 Land Rover Freelander  
00 Volkswagen Jetta VR6

#4 2016-10-21 16:49:13

Smitty11

Thanks for the responses!

Its definitely coolant, because my reservoir was low once I checked it during the incident earlier.  I just took it out for a drive and got the engine up to operating temperature and can't get it to leak again, ie no steam, but the temperature gauge continues to go up slowly, but does not max.

confused

#5 2016-10-21 16:54:07

92XAERO87
User Number: 8131

Smitty11 wrote:

Thanks for the responses!

Its definitely coolant, because my reservoir was low once I checked it during the incident earlier.  I just took it out for a drive and got the engine up to operating temperature and can't get it to leak again, ie no steam, but the temperature gauge continues to go up slowly, but does not max.

confused

Yeah definitely check the engine temperature sensor then. What is probably happening is your fans are not being engaged and the coolant temp just keeps rising. When this happens your hoses expand. And what probably occurred when you saw the steam / coolant was it got so hot when the hose expanded it leaked out.

Definitely check the cooling system over.

13 Ford Focus ST
05 Saab  92x Aero Winter Beater
03 Land Rover Freelander  
00 Volkswagen Jetta VR6

#6 2016-10-21 17:55:49

Smitty11

So i found the problem, one of the ancillary hoses bringing coolant to the turbo was catastrophically ripped in half.  Went to autozone to get a replacement hose and they had ones that were similar shape, but the diameter of the hose was much bigger  facepalm . Anyone know of any commercial shops that have a larger selection of hoses? If not i'll probably end up going to a Subaru dealership tomorrow to try to grab one.

Thanks again for everyones help, knew there was a reason I loved this forum.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.