saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-11-05 15:08:21

pjphel
User Number: 29857

Secondary air injection code

I have the dreaded secondary air injection CEL code.  I have read about removing the unit, blocking the valve sites and deleting the codes from the ECU.  Is it possible to just delete the codes only?  I am not worried about the extra weight of the unit and would like to avoid removing it.  Also, does anyone have experience with blocking the codes?  Easy to do with an access port or is it pretty involved?

Patrick

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-11-06 13:17:13

countriccati
User Number: 28345

Re: Secondary air injection code

If one of the valves is stuck open car may not idle correctly, possibly other issues since system literally connects to openings into the block. If it fails closed it doesn't matter, but I don't believe there's a way to guarantee it is closed and will stay closed by unplugging the connectors (as opposed to TGVs, for instance). Might look into that if dead-set on not removing anything.

KSTech sells a couple different versions of block off plates that let you leave more of the junk in there since installing the plates that go on the block is quite a bit of time, annoyance. Basically if you ever swap a turbo and/or pull the motor, that's the time to delete everything.

Deleting the codes with opensource/tactrix is easy, unsure what the situation is currently with the AP software since they pulled the free racetuner version recently iirc. If that's the case, may need to get a map from a tuner with the codes turned off, hopefully they won't charge much for that. Turning off codes isn't a tune, it's literally turning off around 10 codes or so. Actually turning the codes off from the map is different than just clearing them where they'll come back on, which is why you need to flash a new map.

Worth trying just deleting the codes and seeing how the car idles, drives. If everything is fine you might be ok just leaving the junk in place. Personally glad to have it all deleted, did it when swapped my turbo and got the last piece out when just had the motor out for a transmission swap.

me and my aero

#3 2016-11-06 21:10:47

pjphel
User Number: 29857

Re: Secondary air injection code

Thanks so much.  I'll get a tactrix, remove the codes and do the deletes when it makes sense.  I appreciate your advice.

Patrick

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.