saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2013-04-24 09:47:18

keetmanaa
User Number: 7563

2006 Aero Ignition Key Replacement

I have a 2006 9.2 Aero but only have 1 key that works with the immobilizer. I have spare Subaru keys that were cut to match the Saab key and they work fine in the doors etc but need to be programmed for the ignition. Any advice on where or how I can get that done? I've looked over the Impreza immobilizer wiring diagram and it's a match to the Saab diagram so I suspect the Impreza immobilizer was used in the Saab. Would this mean a Subaru dealer could do the job correctly?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2013-04-24 10:55:19

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

Re: 2006 Aero Ignition Key Replacement

The Subaru dealer has the capability to program new keys, but may refuse to do so because you have a 'Saab'. Depends on the size of the stick up the Service Advisor's ass.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#3 2013-04-24 12:02:21

keetmanaa

I contacted one and they claim the interface is different and they can't "hook up". I don't know yet if that's for real or just a way of saying "go away". I suppose I'm a little paranoid about only having just one key but if that one gets lost or becomes inoperative I'm dead in the water. I'll try other Subaru dealers but who knows what their response will be. I know on some other autos folks have found a work around but I haven't heard of one for the 9.2x. Have you?

#4 2013-04-24 12:18:28

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Tell the service manager that you'll make a bet with him. If his Subaru programmer works, then you get the new key for free. If it doesn't work, you'll pay him $500* for his trouble.

Free key, guaranteed!

*Feel free to increase this amount to infinity dollars.

#5 2013-04-24 13:08:16

krazykarguy
Supporter

Sounds like Subaru dealership #1 has a service advisor with a pretty large diameter stick. What they told you was complete BS. dotmaster's suggestion is sound, but it relies upon a truthful service advisor to succeed. You've already seen that they can be far from that.  unamused

No workaround to programming new immobilizer keys is available...

...except, you may be able to circumvent the immobilizer, as others have done - by putting the one remaining working key in the steering column, and having standard, non-immobilizer keys cut for the ignition lock.

The car will 'see' the working immobilizer chip in the steering column, and the non-immobilizer-chipped key *should* start the car.

Defeats the purpose of the immobilizer, but solves the problem you're having.

2005 Aero 5MT

#6 2013-04-24 13:37:33

keetmanaa

I had considered that (taping good key near antenna) but was concerned that the Subaru key(s) that also have a chip, albeit not yet programmed as far as I know, would somehow confuse the immobilizer and render the "official" key inoperative. Do you suppose I need to remove the chip from the Subaru key?  Quick technical question: where does the chip in the key get electrical power to allow it to transmit to the immobilizer antenna? Hopefully there's not a miniature battery in there too.

#7 2013-04-24 14:21:31

krazykarguy
Supporter

It's an RFID chip - there is no battery. The immobilizer unit sends a signal out to the key, the key's RFID chip 'responds' with it's ID. If the ID is known good, the car starts. If the ID is not known, the car will not start.

IIRC, the programming part of the new keys simply adds new 'known good' keys to the ECU's list. The only way that the correct key would become 'disabled' would be if it got bumped off the list of 'known good' keys because too many keys were programmed to the ECU. You would not have to remove the chip from the key for this to work.

FWIW, this is how an auto-starter for a car with an immobilizer key is typically circumvented. If you car has or ever has had a auto starter, you might already have a second programmed key buried in the dash.

RFID info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-freq … tification

2005 Aero 5MT

#8 2013-04-24 15:36:35

keetmanaa

krazykarguy wrote:

IIRC, the programming part of the new keys simply adds new 'known good' keys to the ECU's list. The only way that the correct key would become 'disabled' would be if it got bumped off the list of 'known good' keys because too many keys were programmed to the ECU. You would not have to remove the chip from the key for this to work.

I heard the Keyless Entry had a push down four remote list but didn't know the immobilizer ECU had something similar. I assume then that the dealer's magic box reads the key's code and sets it in the ECU.

#9 2016-11-18 23:25:56

countriccati
User Number: 28345

In the midst of the same situation as the OP. Trying to get a spare made for my 06 Aero. Got my key cut code from a local Saab parts place from my VIN, then got the key cut at a Subaru dealership and works in the doors, but the immobilizer isn't programmed so immediately after the car starts it turns off (as expected).

The immobilizer is the headache. The owner's manual shows the car did come with a security ID plate, but over the car's life it got lost somewhere, so don't have it. This happens to everyone, so Subaru has a VIN lookup site to find these security IDs, but our VIN supposedly doesn't show up in this database (watched the Subaru service guy try).

The Subaru dealer had initially said they could do it, but this security code is apparently needed as part of the Subaru Select Monitor (SSMIII) procedure for registering new keys with the immobilizer, and if they can't get this code, it's unclear how they will able to do it.

The plan is to keep trying with other dealers, both Saab and Subaru, and see if maybe someone can figure out how to bypass this security ID code and/or find a database where Saab/Subaru actually does have this info.

dotmaster (or anyone out there), have you successfully gotten a new key programmed without having that security ID?

me and my aero

#10 2016-11-19 08:56:54

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

countriccati wrote:

dotmaster (or anyone out there), have you successfully gotten a new key programmed without having that security ID?

I haven't - I pulled the chip out of my valet key and put it into my flip key to make it work. I do still have my ID tag, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting it programmed. Trunkmonkey may have some ideas - he's much more familiar with the key stuff since it's kind of a side hustle for him.

#11 2016-11-19 10:41:23

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

If you have one key with the chip programmed you can remote the chip and place it inside the steering column plastic housing.  It's always there so the only thing keeping the car from starting is the cylinder lock.  Might I suggest a kill switch?  Mine works like a champ all these years later smile
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … ?t=1500975

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT Touring

#12 2016-12-05 16:38:28

ronp6
User Number: 13521

A Subaru dealer programmed my keys to add a third key but I had gotten the code from a Saab service manager at Charles River Saab.   We still have two Saab service departments near Boston.

Sold- 06 9-2x Aero MT 40,000 miles!
BMW 328xi
1953 MG-TD

#13 2016-12-05 16:41:57

countriccati
User Number: 28345

ronp6 wrote:

A Subaru dealer programmed my keys to add a third key but I had gotten the code from a Saab service manager at Charles River Saab.   We still have two Saab service departments near Boston.

The service manager I spoke to at Charles River Saab could tell me the key cut code, not the security code, however. He printed out a page with all the info he had on my car, there was another number listed but it looked to be for something else. Was your car originally sold there?

me and my aero

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.