saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-12-14 11:56:20

jixaw
User Number: 35856

Driving on studs - hold my hand?

Hey guys,

So i ended up with some studded snows (nokian hakkapellita 7s) that came with the linear I bought at the end of this past winter. Studded snows are overkill for Boston but i figured since i own them I'll try them for a winter. I have never had studs before and need some hand holding.....

So driving on studs on dry payment is a little different. Definitely louder and definitely more squirrely  alot

Couple things were a little unnerving. I had to get on the brakes on the highway. I felt the rear end come out a lil and i was sliding on the studs. ABS didnt kick in. I also feel it sliding/drifting a little in corners. I know this isnt based in reality, but I feel like im just going to slide right off the road (oversteer) if I am on the gas in a corner....

Can someone hold my hand and give me some tips here? I have a feeling once theres some snow/ice on the road it will be a little better but I'm not sure. Should i deflate the tires a little to get more rubber on the road?

2 new mods btw - aero rear sway bar and a front strut tower brace......

thanks guys

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Mica Blue - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Saabaru badges (+3 hp gain)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-12-19 13:05:29

Saaba05
User Number: 10185

Re: Driving on studs - hold my hand?

I'm in Portland, OR and I've been rocking studs for the past 3 winters. What you're describing sounds like normal day of driving on studs for me.

The thing to watch out for is the combination of dry & wet roads. Studs are terrible on rainy roads and I've found myself having more than one oh-shit moment when on a highway turn with mixed wet/dry roads going 65mph.

Braking is the same. If you're mindful of the rain, you'll have less oh-shit moments when trying to stop.

Don't deflate the tires, it the tire compound itself which makes driving the way it feels.  It's just hard compound vs. softer ones on all-seasons.

my 2 cents.

05' Saab 92x - Stage1 DP & Flash.  Dynamometer Dyno: 201.7HP 210TQ
02' Outback Sport - Hybrid Swap.

#3 2016-12-19 19:26:58

jixaw
User Number: 35856

Thanks ...im learning as i go.....i guess rule of thumb in the dry/rain - dont drive like a fool.....which is quite a challenge for me. I thought by getting a na motor with a boring automagic transmission would attenuate hooliganism but its something easier said than done. For now i will keep telling myslf "you're borrowing grandma's car...take it easy"

We got a little snow on Saturday. I was out all day enjoying it. They seem to be happier with a lil crap on the tarnac. Although i did gun it, cut the wheel hard at an intersection and yank the e brake. Usually that brings the rear end around enough  to fly right thru the intersection  but alas it just stopped dead...safety can be boring at times.

Does it spark on the pavement if you get on it?....sparks would make that dreadful road noise a bit more bearable....

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Mica Blue - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Saabaru badges (+3 hp gain)

#4 2016-12-19 19:38:34

snowphun
User Number: 890

Hakka 7s are about the squishiest tires you can find, but at least the Hakka studs are very small and the 7s don't have that many studs. I use 7s around New England, I just accept that I drive mellow in the winter, and have fun when it is snowy.  I wouldn't lower the pressure, that will only make it sloppier.

Bring the car and those Hakkas out to the lakes to have fun with us this winter: www.icerace.com

#5 2016-12-20 08:57:16

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

Saaba05 wrote:

it the tire compound itself which makes driving the way it feels.  It's just hard compound vs. softer ones on all-seasons.

This is the exact opposite of explaining how snow tires work vs. all-season tires.

Snow tires have a significantly softer compound so that the rubber remains flexible in temperatures below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. You should retain the stock recommended air pressure in the snow tires.

Driving on studs is only really useful on hard-packed snow and ice. In every other winter situation, they are not going to be of assistance beyond standard well-siped snow tires (and Hakka 7's are some of the best out there).

The studs definitely affect wet and dry performance, almost to the effect of eliminating the benefits of having snow tires on the car at all. This is the reason that while I was still in Vermont, I only tried studs ONCE, and never again.

And, yes, if you can manage to spin your tires on pavement, they will make sparks. Also, don't use your e-brake to rotate the car, it's bad for the center differential.

Last edited by krazykarguy (2016-12-20 08:58:58)

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.