saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2012-06-11 18:18:33

kalpster
User Number: 7317

How does 9-2x drive in snow?

Hi,

i'm thinking about buying a 2005 9-2x with 108k miles and new tires. I'll be based in NH and hoping for a good winter next year!

My one concern is how the car drives in the snow. Would love to hear your experiences on paved roads, highways, and on gravel / dirt roads. Also how does it fare after heavy snowfalls when there is deeper snow?

Looking to close a deal in the next day or two, so appreciate all responses!

Also, the car's in good condition (had some bodywork) and is going for $6,500. What do you think of that price?

thanks!

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2012-06-11 18:41:17

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

Re: How does 9-2x drive in snow?

You know you only have to make a thread once, right?

#3 2012-06-11 18:58:07

Bunnspeed
Site Bunnefactor
Supporter
User Number: 1900

It drives pretty freaking awesomely well in the snow, including the deep stuff. As long as you have fresh all seasons, you should be able to go through anything that the undercarriage can clear. I wasn't wild about my 92x in good weather, but I was in love with it anytime it snowed. The only two downsides with it in the snow are 1) no stability control program, but it's remarkably stable on the highway (in bad weather at least) even without, and 2) terrible ABS on packed snow or ice...dangerously bad, IMO. Snow tires would probably help with this. For going and turning, however, it's an animal, even if it's not the best at stopping in the snow.

Also consider a MKV GTI on snow tires as an alternative. I have one, and while I miss the awd occasionally, this thing on cheap snow tires can do nearly as well in the snow as the 92x on all seasons, and what it gives up in traction off the line it makes up for with it's incredible stability control (making it tremendously stable on the highway in all weather) and far better ABS braking in the slippery stuff.

Hope this helps.

Had: 2005 92x Aero 14.5 @ 94, Stage 1
Totaled: 2008 K04 GTI 13.7 @ 102
Has: 2011 Volvo S60 T6 KW V3, Ferrita downpipe, DO88 FMIC, 13.1 @ 101
1997 Cadillac DeVille a.k.a. The Marshmallow Warhammer D'Elegance 15.2 @ 92

#4 2012-06-12 05:03:55

crisco
saabaru x2
Supporter
User Number: 1721

i always remove the ABS fuse when driving in snow so you dont have the ABS problem.

i've driven a subaru turbo impreza/saabaru wagon of some sort since 2001, all over dry roads, snowy roads, sand, gravel, etc.  once you get used to the handling you can drive this thing safely (while having fun) in all types of weather.  but it takes some getting used to, and having appropriate tires for the conditions.

in the snow: pretty much any car with snow tires is better than any other car without snow tires, AWD or not.  AWD isn't a reason to not have snow tires if you want to really get around in the snow.

however, when you do have snow tires on the 9-2x or an impreza, it will blow you away how amazing it handles and where you can go.

2 many saabarus

#5 2012-06-12 05:06:16

crisco
saabaru x2
Supporter

Also!  you didnt say if it is an aero or linear.

2 many saabarus

#6 2012-06-12 06:25:30

thymighty
MFWIC
Supporter
User Number: 4733

Harrible.

#7 2012-06-12 10:56:45

Blacklightning
User Number: 3775

Bunnspeed wrote:

It drives pretty freaking awesomely well in the snow, including the deep stuff. As long as you have fresh all seasons, you should be able to go through anything that the undercarriage can clear. I wasn't wild about my 92x in good weather, but I was in love with it anytime it snowed. The only two downsides with it in the snow are 1) no stability control program, but it's remarkably stable on the highway (in bad weather at least) even without, and 2) terrible ABS on packed snow or ice...dangerously bad, IMO. Snow tires would probably help with this. For going and turning, however, it's an animal, even if it's not the best at stopping in the snow.

+1 FUN in snow... boring in summer. I have snow tires on mine as I’m in Canada and the car is great. But I will say that with summer tires in winter the car is super dangerous as all 4 tires will spin, crew you up and spit you in the ditch. Good tires are a big plus with AWD.
ABS is better with snow tires but I think another cars ABS systems are better as most of the time if ABS kicks in I stop breaking and re break staying out of ABS as I feel I stop quicker. confused

#8 2012-06-12 12:15:29

thymighty
MFWIC
Supporter

arrow-up boring in summer?
You're doing it wrong.

#9 2012-06-12 12:17:43

Augie
User Number: 3426

Blacklightning wrote:

ABS is better with snow tires but I think another cars ABS systems are better as most of the time if ABS kicks in I stop breaking and re break staying out of ABS as I feel I stop quicker. confused

Other ABS systems may be better, but abs isn't meant to stop you in the shortest possible distance it is meant to keep you in control of the car under extreme braking situations stopping you sooner than sliding and losing control. If you are disabling your ABS then please inform me of where you drive so i can stay away. Im not good enough to drive better than ABS and neither are you, and everyone else here on public roads. Rally or Track on closed roads, OK then shut it down.

NO Subaru but good explanation
Educate yourselves heathens 

thymighty wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

arrow-up This

05' Saab 92x Aero OBP Standard Stage 2
Yes, some mod messed with my profile and Im cranky because of the passive aggressive nature of this

#10 2012-06-12 12:20:41

thymighty
MFWIC
Supporter

Funny you should post a Mazda ABS video.  Their ABS system makes the most awful noise when it kicks in.  Scared the crap out of me the first time I experienced in the GF's old 3.

#11 2012-06-12 12:30:05

Augie

thymighty wrote:

Funny you should post a Mazda ABS video.  Their ABS system makes the most awful noise when it kicks in.  Scared the crap out of me the first time I experienced in the GF's old 3.

As do most of the older gen stuff. they use a electronically driven dump valve to pull down the pressure very quickly, while at the same time changing the speed with witch the booster brings the pressure back up. . GM and Ford(Mazda had partnership with them) used to be notorious for this. After I got used to it I became comfortable knowing I could test the ABS on snowy mornings by finding a clear section of icy road and applying braking force to the car to find out how slick the roads were that morning(where the grip loss point was). I still do this to determine how I should be driving in the winter. I dont want to be surprised when it comes on, Id rather know when Im approaching the limit.

Yes, some mod messed with my profile and Im cranky because of the passive aggressive nature of this

#12 2012-06-12 12:44:44

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

Augie wrote:

Im not good enough to drive better than ABS and neither are you, and everyone else here on public roads. Rally or Track on closed roads, OK then shut it down.

There's a noticeable difference between how different ABS and stability control systems are tuned.

The Saabaru's ABS system doesn't handle bumpy gravel roads worth a darn, and there are plenty of roads with stutter bumps leading up to stop signs.  Having the car decide to intervene in those cases is annoying approaching a safety issue.

Likewise with the Ford ESC systems in some vehicles I've driven.  It decides I'm trying to turn too fast, applies braking to a wheel to slow down the yaw rate, and may or may not release the brake in time for the driver to recover their intended path.

I'm not encouraging anyone to defeat the systems, but to be aware they all behave a bit differently.

edit: There is some debate right now about ABS on race cars.  Properly tuned, I'm not sure what the downside is for a track car?  Bosch sells motorsport ABS systems.

Last edited by bentmettle (2012-06-12 12:46:54)

#13 2012-06-12 13:12:00

Augie

bentmettle wrote:

The Saabaru's ABS system doesn't handle bumpy gravel roads worth a darn, and there are plenty of roads with stutter bumps leading up to stop signs.  Having the car decide to intervene in those cases is annoying approaching a safety issue.

Likewise with the Ford ESC systems in some vehicles I've driven.  It decides I'm trying to turn too fast, applies braking to a wheel to slow down the yaw rate, and may or may not release the brake in time for the driver to recover their intended path.

I'm not encouraging anyone to defeat the systems, but to be aware they all behave a bit differently.

edit: There is some debate right now about ABS on race cars.  Properly tuned, I'm not sure what the downside is for a track car?  Bosch sells motorsport ABS systems.

I should have added shut it down if you think it makes you faster even though you are just fooling yourself

Agree with everything said, but few if any of the members here are good enough to disable their ABS and be safer.... Yes ABS on Gravel makes for longer stopping distances where locking the tires and creating a small pile in front of the tire is the bet way to stop a car in a strait line. You are still safer in case you need to turn the car or correct the line with ABS than without. I think ABS on a track car is the right way to go as well, but if you are going to disable it dont do it on public roads where your mistake can cause bigger problems for someone else.

#14 2012-06-12 13:34:40

nstelemark
The other Morgan
Supporter
User Number: 1964
Website

Personally I really like the performance in snow with the 92X.  With 4 wheel snows there is lots of traction and the car is very tossable.  VAG stability is more restful on the highway for sure, but for having fun the 92x is great.

Contrary to some I also like the car with high performance summer tires in snow*.  Yes if you are not careful you will meet the ditch, but the fun comes at a lot lower speeds than it does with 4 wheel snows.

The swedish flick is your friend with this car in snow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_flick - every single corner for me  tongue

*I am not recommending this but you can definitely get where you need to go.

Last edited by nstelemark (2012-06-12 15:40:44)

2015 WRX CVT Base Cobb-ProTune | Dunlop/Nokian | STi | Rally Armor | Phillips
2014 Forester XT Limited Cobb-S1 | Toyo/Nokian
2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT Cobb-S2 | Perrin | Toyo/Nokian | Whiteline | FHI | JDM STi | Rally Armor | IxizConcept | Paranoid Fabs | prodrive | Tokico
1999 JDM Legacy GT STi

#15 2012-06-12 16:14:05

Blacklightning
User Number: 3775

Augie wrote:

Blacklightning wrote:

Other ABS systems may be better, but abs isn't meant to stop you in the shortest possible distance it is meant to keep you in control of the car under extreme braking situations stopping you sooner than sliding and losing control. If you are disabling your ABS then please inform me of where you drive so i can stay away. Im not good enough to drive better than ABS and neither are you, and everyone else here on public roads. Rally or Track on closed roads, OK then shut it down.

NO Subaru but good explanation
Educate yourselves heathens 

thymighty wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

arrow-up This

Thanks for the video. I know I'm not helping things by rebraking but my civic before this, my wife's civic and now her Accord felt like it was still braking when ABS kicks in. The first time ABS kicked in my Saab it felt like my car stopped braking and just kept going forward. When I got home I searched Subaru ABS and I got a ton of people saying the same thing. I know on glare ice and gravel that ABS gives you control and sacrifices stopping distance but I think Subaru picked control way over stopping distance. I would NEVER disable ABS... I'm not a great driver.

I love spinning my tires in my old civic (FWD) and SLK55 (RWD). I can't spin my tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) with the Saab and it's hard to get wheel spin in the corners. The car seems very neutral... at least compared to my old Civic.

#16 2012-06-12 16:26:11

thymighty
MFWIC
Supporter

confused It's AWD dude. Why do you want wheel spin in the corners?  And since when is a fun car defined by wheel spin?  I am confuse.

#17 2012-06-12 17:03:46

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

Augie wrote:

bentmettle wrote:

I should have added shut it down if you think it makes you faster even though you are just fooling yourself

Agree with everything said, but few if any of the members here are good enough to disable their ABS and be safer.... Yes ABS on Gravel makes for longer stopping distances where locking the tires and creating a small pile in front of the tire is the bet way to stop a car in a strait line. You are still safer in case you need to turn the car or correct the line with ABS than without. I think ABS on a track car is the right way to go as well, but if you are going to disable it dont do it on public roads where your mistake can cause bigger problems for someone else.

Although I keep ABS on in my car on the street (street is less predictable than a track), the reality is, before the 1990's, everyone, including grandmothers managed to stop cars without crashing without ABS.  Back then, they were taught to pump the brakes if having to stop and a wheel locked up. Took a longer distance than ABS can do (it can brake a single wheel on 4 channel systems, pumping brakes pump all four wheels, and the ABS cycle is faster) but it works.  Now, no one is taught how to do it, and everyone thinks they will die if they don't have it.  I just don't buy that. Neither did my Grandma (whose final car was a '72 318 V8 Dodge Dart which could get plenty of wheelspin in a straight line in 1st AND 2nd gears up to about 35 MPH...whoops, sorry Grandma!!!).

As for racing, a fast cycling, well programmed 4 ch ABS will more consistently out brake an identical non-ABS car driven by a professional (not by a lot, BTW).  This has been proven by many published tests. The key is the constancy. The pro driver can out brake ABS some of the time, but over a series of laps, the ABS car will eventually have shorter total lap time...and less flat spotted tires.  This isn't a matter of life or death, it's just a matter of lap times. The racers without ABS certainly seem to survive their non-ABS cars.

Threshold braking isn't close to impossible to learn, but for the general non-ABS public (who's not worried about lap times, just surviving)  it probably has little use, the pumping method accomplishes much of the intent.  Don't get me wrong, ABS is a great advancement, but it's hardly a matter of life or death unless all the driver knows is to use the brake pedal like an on-off switch. Same deal with traction control, which has ended up letting purely average drivers manage to drive ridiculous HP cars (remember that Gallardo raffle winner whom wiped out the car within days?) by usually helping survive pretty dumb throttle applications in in-appropriate conditions.  Basically, it lets dummies drive powerful cars.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#18 2012-06-12 22:33:34

crisco
saabaru x2
Supporter

heart

2 many saabarus

#19 2012-06-16 13:51:17

kalpster
User Number: 7317

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! looking forward to driving my new 9-2x!  driving

#20 2017-02-10 16:17:39

AlexA
User Number: 39784

Recently bought a 2005 Saab 9-2X Linear and got hit with solid snow storm with poor road conditions. The best part is there is no such thing as poor road conditions when you drive this beast! Fresh snow coated the roads and let me tell you snow drifting in this car is awesome!  saab

#21 2017-02-10 16:52:59

drewsro
Why Am I Still Here?
User Number: 13600

AlexA wrote:

Recently bought a 2005 Saab 9-2X Linear and got hit with solid snow storm with poor road conditions. The best part is there is no such thing as poor road conditions when you drive this beast! Fresh snow coated the roads and let me tell you snow drifting in this car is awesome!  saab

So you made a profile just to bump a 5 year old thread that shouldn't of even been made in the first place?

2005 9-2x Aero 5MT- Stage 2
2007 Toyota Corolla CE
2016 VW GTI S 6MT
Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#22 2017-02-10 18:39:30

Rodman
User Number: 1046

Like a proper Subaru, congrats AlexA
Welcome.

2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold.
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm STi ver 7 drivetrain.
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5 speed manual daily driver.
2006 WRX, smoked, should've never betrayed 2.0L love.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.