saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2017-02-25 17:50:30

samsquantch1
User Number: 33088

05 headlight issue (xenon I think)

Hi all,
I've got an 05 aero with what I think are the xenon lights. They have a bluish appearance, can be adjusted from inside the car, and have an odd geometric shape. One side is often dimmer than the other and also often has condensation inside the housing.  I've noticed a small bulb near the main bulb is out on that side. What is the best way to approach fixing this up? Any guesses on the parts needed and sources for them? Seems like I need to dry out the housing and make sure it stays water-tight?
Thanks!

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2017-02-25 18:05:49

3e3
User Number: 40081

Re: 05 headlight issue (xenon I think)

First guess would be that there is either a crack in the headlight or the cap on the back where you reach the bulbs from wasn't tightened all the way the last time a bulb was changed or loosened over time - if the assembly is the same as the linear. One bulb being brighter might be because one is newer. Replacing both bulbs together should/might fix that. So, id try, finding replacement bulbs for both headlamps (owners manual should have the bulb # and a diagram of which bulb is which). Then opening the back portion grabbing a hair dryer, on low drying out the one with condensation and checking it for cracks. After that replacing all the bulbs and making sure the back caps are on tight when youre done

Last edited by 3e3 (2017-02-25 18:11:53)

#3 2017-02-25 18:54:16

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

Re: 05 headlight issue (xenon I think)

If you have the electronic leveling knob, you have HIDs.

3e3 is right about the color/brightness difference - you should replace them in pairs to avoid that. They will slightly color shift as they age.

The little side marker bulbs are a pain to replace but can be done without removing the housing.

Condensation in the housing is a bit of a bear...hopefully your dust cap was left off or something simple and obvious like that. If it is cracked, you'll have to replace it, and HID housings are not cheap. You could try resealing it as well (remove the housing, bake it in the oven at ~210F for 10-12 minutes, separate the lens from the housing and reseal it).

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.