saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2017-03-01 00:28:31

bluwater
User Number: 801

Advice Needed

First, I'd like to take a second and say that I've been coming to the site since I got my brand new 2005 Aero about 12 years ago (thank you GM employee pricing) and although I haven't been an active participant...I've sure appreciated all the info and conversations that have taken place about our cars over the years. I can't even count how many times I've had something come up or wanted to ask a question about my car and found that someone had already done so because they were experiencing the same thing around the same time. So, thanks. Really.  92x

Now...on to the advice. I blew the engine after getting caught up in the day to day of family stuff, kid stuff, work stuff, etc... (short story: it's been burning oil, I got lazy checking it and boom.  facepalm) It is desert silver, stock, has just about 146k of both spirited and daily driving miles on it, needs a steering rack, the a/c compressor is shot, has a couple of clearcoat issues on the hatch, is on hood/front bumper #2 (funny story - it got hit by a boat years ago) and after a larger maintenance 12 months ago to keep it on the road....I decided I can't invest any more in the car and have moved on. Currently, it's sitting in my driveway and I'd like to make progress in terms of getting it out of my possession now that I have gone car shopping and took delivery of the saabaru replacement this past weekend. (On that note - this segment is horrible. It's not fun shopping for a car if you are looking for something even remotely close to the 9-2x, new. IMHO, it doesn't exist. And forget about MT.)

So, I have an accessport V1 that I am going to unmarry and then I have the car, which obviously needs a tow to go anywhere. I'm not particularly interested in parting it out. I'd love to sell it to someone who was going to give it some TLC and have it as a project car....but really don't know the story with the demand for something like this and, moreover, have no idea what a fair price would be to move it (or the V1 accessport). I've considered donating it, but I feel as though despite the state of affairs, someone could make good use out of what is left if they want to invest some sweat, time and money. I've kept pretty good care of it; the interior is relatively clean and the exterior is good for a 12 year old car.

I'm really just looking for some advice in terms of what I should do to find the car a home (or not). What is a fair price for someone to take it as a project car? Is that scenario even a real possibility? If I donate it, what should I expect in terms of a value?

Appreciate the time if you read this whole thing. I'm really bummed about the whole situation, to be honest. It's been a great vehicle.  embeer

- Justin

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2017-03-01 04:26:42

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Re: Advice Needed

Others will speak to the rest but I can say you will want to uninstall that v1 if it's just a stage one tune on it.  If it's a stage two tune then just leave it on and let you buyer know.  Either way, you should not give the V1 to the new owner.  Those things are past useful life and are more likely to brick an ECU as reprogram it.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT Touring

#3 2017-03-01 07:21:13

Phodgkins
User Number: 39233

Sorry to hear your 92x chapter has closed. I understand the pain of finding durable, performance hatchbacks, especially with a manual trans. Good luck with the next one! embeer

'06 Silver Aero 5MT
'01 Silverado (Sold)

#4 2017-03-01 07:43:02

countriccati
User Number: 28345

bluwater wrote:

It is desert silver

There's a fellow from Japan that's been posting in various places about wanting to import a red or desert silver car over there, this might be the right project for him. Will link this thread to one of his posts on facebook if it's handy, but given the color there's definitely going to be some interest.

What did you replace it with?

me and my aero

#5 2017-03-01 13:47:28

bluwater

countriccati wrote:

What did you replace it with?

As I looked for a replacement, I found myself gravitating towards compact SUVs. I feel it is the only form-factor comparable to our cars in terms of looks and cargo capacity. Of course as I started my test-drives, coming from the 9-2x, my preference was entry level luxury SUVs to satisfy the tradeoff between refined look, cargo and sportiness of ride. Nearly all the options in this particular segment utilize a 2 liter turbo or equivalent. up There are no MT in this segment, so that is the sacrifice.  down

From my test drives (and I did a lot of them), the BMW X1 was at the top of my list (over the Q3, QX30, NX, GLA250, etc...). All of these cars were not good options financially without a trade-in because of their price tags. (Candidly, when the heck did cars get so expensive? Those of us who grabbed a brand new saabaru with GM employee pricing were so very spoiled!!!) So I tried some of the mid-level options (CX-3, HR-V, etc...) and was just bummed out after those drives. At the end of the day, as luck would have it, I found a left-over brand-new 2016 X1 on a dealer lot in the color I wanted about 240 miles from where I live. I got it at nearly 20% off sticker with 2016MY incentives and exploiting the BMW corporate fleet discount program that my employer is a part of. It also didn't have unnecessary add-ins (saving me an additional $3500) that many dealers stock readily in my area (nav/driver assist, etc..) It was a no brainer, really. So that's the replacement for the ol' saabaru.

- Justin

#6 2017-03-02 18:34:51

theleveler
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3752

Keep us posted on what you plan to do.  Where are you located?

#7 2017-03-03 08:11:56

bluwater

theleveler wrote:

Keep us posted on what you plan to do.  Where are you located?

Oh, I'll definitely entertain offers for someone to take the car off my hands in its current state. I was sort of putting feelers out in this area of the forum in an attempt to assess a fair price for the car as it stands. I just don't know how that path forward would compare to donating the vehicle (which is also an option that I may take if I can't drum up any interest in a reasonable amount of time). I'd hate to donate if someone would want to put a new engine in the thing.

I'm located on Long Island, NY.

#8 2017-03-03 08:56:14

gatesrex91
User Number: 37832

There has to be someone on here that has an Aero with a rough body but strong mechanicals that would be interested in picking up your car to swap their stuff over.  Also could be a cool sti swap build or track build.  Someone will want it.  Did you post it in the for sale section?  Most people looking for stuff like that never even look in general discussion so I suggest posting it there to see what the interest looks like.

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 Stage 2+ with all bolt-ons (daily driver)
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero DSM 5-Speed (family wagon)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II with 13Brew swap and many upgrades (toy)
2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6 with basic bolt-ons and coilovers (wife's ride)

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.