saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Taking a Portland/PCH/San Francisco road trip next week - Any tips?

#1 2017-03-08 22:32:49

chet90si
The Honda Guy.
Supporter
User Number: 1853

Taking a Portland/PCH/San Francisco road trip next week - Any tips?

So I probably should have posted this earlier, but the gf and I are leaving for this trip on Saturday the 11th, and I'm wondering if there is anything that is absolutely "can't miss" along our route. (I found out that I was getting laid off from my job the day after I booked this trip, so much of the past month has been dedicated to finding work, rather than planning the trip. Luckily, I got a job offer earlier this week, so now I can fully enjoy the trip!)

Anyways, here is our plan:

- Fly into Portland on Saturday, spend the next 2 days there. Things already on the to-do list are a hike in Mt. Tabor Park, and a visit to the Art Museum (gf is an Art major). I am also a huge beer guy, so I definitely want to hit the Deschutes and Fat Head's bars.

- Drive down Highway 5 and cut over to US101 around Cottage Grove. Staying the night in Bandon, OR. We know that there are some really beautiful beaches to check out in Bandon, but don't have any specific plans.

- Continue down the 101 the next morning, spending some time in the Redwoods National Park, and then continuing on to our destination for the night: Eureka, CA. I am definitely going to be checking out Lost Coast Brewery.

- More time on the 101 until our next destination: Mendocino, CA. Going to be driving through Avenue of the Giants and stopping at Fort Bragg Glass Beach along the way.

- Continue on to our final destination: San Francisco. This is going to be a big brewery day. Stopping at Anderson Valley, Russian River, and Lagunitas on the way into SF. Once we get there, we're meeting up with my frind who lives in the Mission area, and then promptly going to Berkeley for Rare Barrel and Fieldwork.

- Spending the entire next day in SF (it'll be on St. Paddy's day). Current plans are to stroll around Golden Gate park a bit, spend some time in Japantown, and visit the Almanac taproom.

So yea, I feel like we should really have this trip fleshed out a bit more, but we don't. I honestly have no clue how we're going to spend our nights in Bandon, Eureka, or Mendocino. facepalm

Anyone have any experience in these towns? Or is there anything in PDX, SF, or the drive along the way that we should make sure we check out?

Last edited by chet90si (2017-03-08 22:34:24)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2017-03-09 00:59:40

skidave
User Number: 4770

Re: Taking a Portland/PCH/San Francisco road trip next week - Any tips?

PMing you with some Portland recommendations!

05 Arctic Silver Aero MT Stage 2
05 Blue Aero MT Stage 2 - Totaled 5/10/14 by stop sign runner sad

#3 2017-03-09 08:54:03

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

If you like sour beers, definitely check out Cascade brewing in Portland.  I'd recommend a stop at Cape Kiwanda as well, Pelican Brewery has a nice restaurant right on the beach.  Give yourself enough time to enjoy the redwoods, it's a really pretty area.

#4 2017-03-09 12:31:30

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

If SF is a brewery day you should stop at 21st Amendment as well if it's not far out of the way from other stops you have. It's a couple blocks from the SF Giants stadium (AT&T Park) and I've always enjoyed their brews when I'm in SF.

2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work
2014 Subaru Forester | Wife's car

#5 2017-03-09 14:12:15

chet90si
The Honda Guy.
Supporter
User Number: 1853

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! skidave actually recommended Cascade to me, as well, so that has been added to the list. I'm all about some sour beer (I homebrew strictly sour beer), and I can't believe I forgot about Cascade!

Unfortunately, we're going to have to skip Cape Kiwanda, as we're taking Highway 5 down for that part of the trip for the sake of time. Won't be getting on 101 until Reedsport. Also, 21st Amendment might make the list, but I don't want to go overboard with the breweries in SF. The girlfriend is already not thrilled that we're going to so many as it is!

hyperboarder, do you have any recommendations for specific things to do in the Redwoods? We haven't really looked at specifics on what we want to do when we get there. Is it all pretty self explanatory/well labelled?

#6 2017-03-09 18:26:57

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

chet90si wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! skidave actually recommended Cascade to me, as well, so that has been added to the list. I'm all about some sour beer (I homebrew strictly sour beer), and I can't believe I forgot about Cascade!

Unfortunately, we're going to have to skip Cape Kiwanda, as we're taking Highway 5 down for that part of the trip for the sake of time. Won't be getting on 101 until Reedsport. Also, 21st Amendment might make the list, but I don't want to go overboard with the breweries in SF. The girlfriend is already not thrilled that we're going to so many as it is!

hyperboarder, do you have any recommendations for specific things to do in the Redwoods? We haven't really looked at specifics on what we want to do when we get there. Is it all pretty self explanatory/well labelled?

Horribly labeled smile.  There's a state park called Jedediah Smith up north by Crescent City that's a really pretty drive through and has lots of hiking trails.  There's also a detour further south through Prairie Creek (still north of Eureka) that is worth the time.

• Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Taking a Portland/PCH/San Francisco road trip next week - Any tips?

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.