saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2017-03-17 22:26:10

nickr71
User Number: 40169

Cobb short shifter help

Hi! Very new member here, just bought a 05 aero with a 5mt about two, maybe three weeks ago. I love it and I'm so excited to be more involved in the community. Because of this, though, I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, and I couldn't find a similar one, although i may have just not noticed it.

I bought a Cobb two way adjustable short shifter to put on, I followed the instructions for a WRs that I was linked to from the Cobb website, and when I got to the step where I had to take the shift lever out, I couldn't find the c- ring. In fact, after more looking, and a complete disassembly of the interior trim and shift boot, I found that there was not c-ring. I thought about just yanking it really hard but didn't want to mess anything up so I thought I'd just post before I tried it.

Anyways, if anyone could provide me with instructions on how to remove the shift lever, or link me to a similar thread if there is one, I would really really appreciate it.

Silver 05 5mt Saab 92x Aero

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2017-03-18 07:30:12

snowphun
User Number: 890

Re: Cobb short shifter help

The WRX generations have different designs, make sure you're looking at a guide for GD/GG cars (MY02-07). Clip should be in there. The trickier part is getting the new shifter to pop back in, normally a piece of wood and a sharp whack with a mallet is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2H2-Ve8cY

#3 2017-04-13 20:48:41

elislider
accept no substitutes
User Number: 25881

Re: Cobb short shifter help

if you are referring to the main (vertical) shift post itself, some models had the c-clip on the bottom of the ball joint cup (like, outside the car underneath).
If that is the case, by far the least hassle method is just to yank/pry up firmly and swiftly on the shift post to pop it out of the cup/retainer. this is pretty difficult.
c-clip inside/top: http://theattack.rallysportdirect.com/w … /dash8.jpg
c-clip outside/bottom: http://isthat.info/uploads/subaru/subar … ter-04.jpg (hard to tell but see the white bit at the bottom? thats the retainer and theres a c-clip on it)

then to install the new shift post, just hit it real quick and hard back into the retainer/cup.
the key is a quick jerking motion, not a slow firm motion. (that's what he said?)

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.