saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2017-04-11 10:31:16

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

Re: Insurance company driving monitors

So I get to pull this steaming pile of shit out of our Sorento at the end of the week. I can't wait. A discount is nice - but I hate driving the car knowing it's there.

My wife has not made any attempts to adjust her driving style, and still brakes far too late. All but a handful of the dings against us are her driving unamused. As of right now, we still have a 17% discount, which strangely has not changed since about a week after my last post (despite 13 'events' and 1000 miles since then) . It's like the review period was really only 45 days, and the last 45 days are irrelevant.

The device has registered 29 hard braking events and 3 rapid acceleration events over the last 3,518 miles, meaning a per 100 mile rate of 0.68 and 0.09 respectively.

Not looking forward to having it on my Mustang, but at least she's not driving it - and I know to be on my best behavior at the beginning.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2017-04-21 12:39:02

Bryan
why don't you remember my name?
Supporter
User Number: 1768

Oh man it might be worth getting one of these to finally settle the argument that my gf needs some advanced driver training....

I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

#28 2017-04-21 13:35:22

krazykarguy
Supporter

arrow-up Even if you can prove it with data, she won't believe it. My wife would go crazy when I told her about a notification of an 'event'.

Every time I got one while I was driving, I knew that it would appear - especially the braking ones (i.e. traffic backed up suddenly and required >7mph/second decel).

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#29 2017-06-12 14:05:27

krazykarguy
Supporter

So as a follow-up, we ended up with a 17% discount. I now have it installed in my Mustang.

With 420 horsepower and 3.73:1 rear gears it is barely possible to get going slowly. I have to start in 2nd gear on a flat surface, otherwise I risk a 'hard acceleration'.  It's stupidly sensitive, and a week and a half into this, I already have three.  unamused unamused unamused

I also have a couple of 'hard braking' events, both a result of another driver pulling some stupid shit in front of me. How this becomes a relevant way to judge MY driving is beyond ridiculous.

2005 Aero 5MT

#30 2017-06-12 15:23:29

snowphun
User Number: 890

I went through this on all our cars for Progressive, one car was in the garage on jack stands most of the time, the others I avoided driving as much as possible. It's a frustrating tool that doesn't reward good driving, just unreasonably slow braking and acceleration.

#31 2017-06-17 15:40:34

straytowel
User Number: 3742

krazykarguy wrote:

The device has registered 29 hard braking events and 3 rapid acceleration events over the last 3,518 miles, meaning a per 100 mile rate of 0.68 and 0.09 respectively.

Does the incident per mile ratio really matter? I just put one of these on my girlfriend's car and she has a 1 mile inner city commute and walks most of the time, so she barely drives maybe 200 miles a month. She's had it for a few days and already racked up about 5 hard braking events.

'05 Aero

flickr

#32 2017-06-17 18:21:55

snowphun

Yeah, she's hosed. How else are they going to interpret the data? Get the car out for some mellow highway driving. I left it unplugged if I want to bomb around.

#33 2017-06-22 15:15:29

krazykarguy
Supporter

FUCK. THIS. THING.  mad

14 'events' in 24 days so far on the Mustang.

Unplugging the monitor is essentially stating that "I quit, you can take your 5% 'safe driving and participation in the program discount' and shove it up your corporate overlord's ass", so that's out.

Most frustrating is that I got hit with THREE 'rapid acceleration' events yesterday FOR THE SAME FUCKING ACCELERATION event (highway onramp). I literally turned onto the freeway and stomped on it until I was moving the same speed as traffic.

Event 4    06/21/17, 10:35 AM    1.0 seconds    11.2 - 18.6mph
Event 5    06/21/17, 10:35 AM    1.0 seconds    22.4 - 37.3mph
Event 6    06/21/17, 10:35 AM    2.0 seconds    55.9 - 70.8mph

How fucking stupid is that?!? Especially when you are trying for a discount based on the "number of events per 100 miles"??? Instead of ONE event, I get THREE. It should be one 6-7 second event from 11.2 - 70.8 mph, right?? unamused

I've driven over 600 miles so far, and it's insane trying to granny-start this car to avoid getting pinged. You cannot do anything about the hard braking - if you have an asshole pull out in front of you or suddenly take the 'safe space' in between you and the car in front of you, you cannot avoid it.

2005 Aero 5MT

#34 2017-06-22 15:49:20

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

That's why those things are dumb.  Meant for old people lol

#35 2017-06-23 11:43:37

krazykarguy
Supporter

I inquired as to why it gave me three separate events instead of just one. My primary concern was the triple infraction, but also that my discount STARTED at 23% (not the 30% that the other car started at, therefore an automatic -7% discount possible) I got this form letter in reply:

Good Morning,

During the 90 day evaluation period the device will track quick starts, hard stops, time of day, and mileage. The device is unable to determine who is driving, and all drivers will collect the same data.

The RightTrack device uses a sensitive threshold for measuring change in speed per second. If the maximum change in speed is 7 or 8 MPH per second that will result in an acceleration or braking event. While that may seem overly conservative, and all drivers in the program are expected to generate some events, these sensitive thresholds are designed to produce a more individualized pattern and evaluation of driving style.

The device communicates directly with the vehicle's on-board computer and uses second-by-second data from the Vehicle Speed Sensor to determine all acceleration and braking events. This is the same sensor and data used by the vehicle's speedometer, making the data as accurate as the speed displayed in the vehicle. The device will also track for night time driving from 12-4 am as well as low mileage. Every mile driven will count against the score. We know there are times when the safe driving response is to accelerate or decelerate rapidly to avoid a crash. By setting a sensitive threshold, it’s easier for us to see the pattern of how someone normally drives.

The score is based off of an average of events per 100 miles, so the score can fluctuate and change throughout the evaluation period. This is also designed this way to help against situations you cannot control such as people pulling out in front of you or animals running out in front of you. By completing the 90 days you are guaranteed at least a 5% discount off of the basic vehicle coverage’s per vehicle enrolled.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

All of this stuff is more or less verbatim what is found on the Liberty Mutual/SafeCo websites. I know quite well how the program works, how about you read my e-mail/concerns and ANSWER THEM?  mad

2005 Aero 5MT

#36 2017-06-23 14:25:12

cjaama
User Number: 1885

krazykarguy wrote:

I inquired as to why it gave me three separate events instead of just one. My primary concern was the triple infraction, but also that my discount STARTED at 23% (not the 30% that the other car started at, therefore an automatic -7% discount possible) I got this form letter in reply:

Good Morning,

During the 90 day evaluation period the device will track quick starts, hard stops, time of day, and mileage. The device is unable to determine who is driving, and all drivers will collect the same data.

The RightTrack device uses a sensitive threshold for measuring change in speed per second. If the maximum change in speed is 7 or 8 MPH per second that will result in an acceleration or braking event. While that may seem overly conservative, and all drivers in the program are expected to generate some events, these sensitive thresholds are designed to produce a more individualized pattern and evaluation of driving style.

The device communicates directly with the vehicle's on-board computer and uses second-by-second data from the Vehicle Speed Sensor to determine all acceleration and braking events. This is the same sensor and data used by the vehicle's speedometer, making the data as accurate as the speed displayed in the vehicle. The device will also track for night time driving from 12-4 am as well as low mileage. Every mile driven will count against the score. We know there are times when the safe driving response is to accelerate or decelerate rapidly to avoid a crash. By setting a sensitive threshold, it’s easier for us to see the pattern of how someone normally drives.

The score is based off of an average of events per 100 miles, so the score can fluctuate and change throughout the evaluation period. This is also designed this way to help against situations you cannot control such as people pulling out in front of you or animals running out in front of you. By completing the 90 days you are guaranteed at least a 5% discount off of the basic vehicle coverage’s per vehicle enrolled.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

All of this stuff is more or less verbatim what is found on the Liberty Mutual/SafeCo websites. I know quite well how the program works, how about you read my e-mail/concerns and ANSWER THEM?  mad

You'll never get anything but an automatic generic response regarding this.  My guess is you get dinged for every second you remain at WOT...or at least whatever they determine is a hard acceleration.

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#37 2017-06-23 15:00:00

krazykarguy
Supporter

arrow-up If that was the case, every single highway trip would have resulted in a ding, as I would typically leave it in 6th and go WOT to pass. But thanks for the confirmation that this is a typical corporate brushoff. I replied back, asking for answers earlier this morning without a response yet.

This form letter essentially states that the VSS feed to the ECU is being used to determine speed deltas.

The thing that really bugs me is the count of 'infractions' on Wednesday and the fact that your discount is based on these counts. More counts equals less discount, so I guess it makes sense that they want to get me thrice instead of just once. Feels pretty scammy to me...  hmm

2005 Aero 5MT

#38 2017-06-23 15:03:58

snowphun

I agree with their logic, it's riskier to romp from 20-80 mph than it is to rapidly accelerate for a small portion of that range.  You've volunteered to play in their silly game, understand the rules and bend them to your favor. Pull the unit if you want to romp on the car, plug it in for long mellow drives to build up some good miles. I got the biggest discount on the car that was on blocks in the garage for most of the evaluation period, how does that make any sense? These evals will get much more sophisticated in coming years.

As others have pointed out my substantial % discounts amounted to just a few dollars off my next renewal.

#39 2017-06-23 16:36:24

krazykarguy
Supporter

arrow-up Pulling the unit from the OBD port essentially tells SafeCo, "I voluntarily terminate the discount program". Maybe your monitor was different, but that's not an option with mine.

I have found out that the discount only applies to the basic portion of the insurance bill, it's not applied to other parts of the premium. It might not be worth worrying about anymore at 13% now. If it falls below 10% I'm just going to drive the piss out of the car and see just how very bad I can get it to go.  biggrin

2005 Aero 5MT

#40 2017-06-24 06:17:39

snowphun

krazykarguy wrote:

arrow-up Pulling the unit from the OBD port essentially tells SafeCo, "I voluntarily terminate the discount program". Maybe your monitor was different, but that's not an option with mine.

How does it know that you pulled it out? AFAIK the one I was using was not aware of the odometer. Their app on my phone was aware of my location but there's no requirement to have a phone with you at all times.  More than once I pulled it out of the dash while driving as I was coming up to a fun on ramp, then plugged it back in afterwards. Seems excessive that they would terminate your involvement in the program due to a bad obdii connection.  wink

#41 2017-06-26 08:01:53

bassboy3313
Jack of all trades
User Number: 32712

All these insurance monitors are bullshit and a waste of time. That is all.

1983 BMW 320i Turbo M20 Grp. 2 Restomod - Project Car
2006 Saab 9-2x Aero - Daily Driver

CHECK OUT >>> RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

#42 2017-06-26 08:58:55

krazykarguy
Supporter

arrow-up Any premium discount is not a waste of time - insurance costs too much as it is... It's a pain in the ass for sure, but not a waste of time for a cheap-o like myself. YMMV

However, contrary to cjaama's point above, I did get a response back:

[regarding the amazing 3 for 1 infraction deal I managed to 'score']:
Per the email below the device measures on a second-by-second measurement so it is possible to receive up to 60 events within 1 minute. Your events were not additional they are registered as 3 separate events because there was a break in the acceleration which you can see by the mile acceleration from 11.2-18.6 MPH and then 22.4-37.3 and lastly, 55.9-70.8. If this was one smooth acceleration then it would have registered an event from 11.2-70.8.

[regarding my discount % starting at 23% instead of 30%]:
There were about 4 trips recorded the same day that it was activated which totaled about 15 miles and as stated below each mile driven will count against the score until it is able to average. The score would have been effected by this mileage so it may have appeared that when you first logged in that the percentage did not start at 30% but we have confirmed with our IT department on your account that your discount did start at 30%.

[end]
At this time you have roughly about 2 months left in the program and your score will more than likely average again before the completion date which depending on the data could end up increasing the score. If you do not wish to participate in the RightTrack program we can make the exception to retain the initial 5% discount on the policy for the life of the policy and end the program now. Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

I'm thinking that I will stick with it for now, and give zero fucks about it. There is no negative to doing this, since I get the 5% no matter what at this point. Thoughts?

2005 Aero 5MT

#43 2017-06-26 11:45:29

cjaama
User Number: 1885

krazykarguy wrote:

I'm thinking that I will stick with it for now, and give zero fucks about it. There is no negative to doing this, since I get the 5% no matter what at this point. Thoughts?

driving
I'll admit to being wrong. I'm flabbergasted that they wrote an actual reply.

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#44 2017-06-26 12:39:19

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

krazykarguy wrote:

arrow-up Any premium discount is not a waste of time - insurance costs too much as it is... It's a pain in the ass for sure, but not a waste of time for a cheap-o like myself. YMMV

However, contrary to cjaama's point above, I did get a response back:

[regarding the amazing 3 for 1 infraction deal I managed to 'score']:
Per the email below the device measures on a second-by-second measurement so it is possible to receive up to 60 events within 1 minute. Your events were not additional they are registered as 3 separate events because there was a break in the acceleration which you can see by the mile acceleration from 11.2-18.6 MPH and then 22.4-37.3 and lastly, 55.9-70.8. If this was one smooth acceleration then it would have registered an event from 11.2-70.8. ?

I was wondering about this when you first posted the triple hit...  are those gaps right around shift points?

le sigh

#45 2017-06-26 13:35:52

krazykarguy
Supporter

n_r_child wrote:

I was wondering about this when you first posted the triple hit...  are those gaps right around shift points?

I started my on-ramp entrance in 3rd gear, which could have easily taken me right up to freeway speed without a shift. I would guess I shifted into 4th when I merged onto the freeway and then short shifted to 6th shortly thereafter. There definitely was not any gear changes, and I definitely was at speed when entering the highway - I likely lifted at or around the 70.8 mph figure they show.

Google maps shows the on-ramp is about 1000 feet, and a slight downhill slope.

Why would I even upshift at all when I am trying to show off the car to my brother? 3rd gear is good for 90+ mph!

So much for proving that my wife is a crazy driver!

2005 Aero 5MT

#46 2017-06-26 14:25:03

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

krazykarguy wrote:

n_r_child wrote:

I started my on-ramp entrance in 3rd gear, which could have easily taken me right up to freeway speed without a shift. I would guess I shifted into 4th when I merged onto the freeway and then short shifted to 6th shortly thereafter. There definitely was not any gear changes, and I definitely was at speed when entering the highway - I likely lifted at or around the 70.8 mph figure they show.

Google maps shows the on-ramp is about 1000 feet, and a slight downhill slope.

Why would I even upshift at all when I am trying to show off the car to my brother? 3rd gear is good for 90+ mph!

So much for proving that my wife is a crazy driver!

Lol. Sounds like your brother probably enjoyed it. : ) 

Sounds like your insurance co needs to revise their algorithm to accurately reflect the real world (but they won't, because money). Any bumps on that onramp?

le sigh

#47 2017-06-26 17:24:28

ERP
User Number: 6585

krazykarguy wrote:

The device measures on a second-by-second measurement so it is possible to receive up to 60 events within 1 minute.

Sounds like a challenge.
driving

2015 Tesla P85D - 11.59 @115 mph
2015 BMW M4 Convertible - Manual
2008 Turbo X 20T JZW Stg 5: 415 hp+, 532 tq+
2006 Lotus Elise - Supercharged, 6.3 lbs/hp, 1.55 lateral G's on street tires

#48 2017-06-26 21:59:44

krazykarguy
Supporter

0-360mph here I come!  banana

2005 Aero 5MT

#49 2017-07-14 08:39:29

krazykarguy
Supporter

So my plan to completely disregard the monitor is going splendidly. Down to a 7% overall discount with 39 rapid accelerations, including these mind-bending runs:
Event 21 07/03/17, 1:01 PM 3.0 seconds 1.9 - 25.5mph
Event 24 07/07/17, 11:46 AM 1.0 seconds 6.2 - 13.7mph
Event 25 07/07/17, 12:14 PM 1.0 seconds 4.3 - 11.8mph
Event 30 07/07/17, 12:31 PM 1.0 seconds 2.5 - 10.6mph
Event 33 07/07/17, 1:39 PM 2.0 seconds 0.0 - 16.2mph
Event 38 07/10/17, 4:54 PM 1.0 seconds 5.6 - 13.0mph
Event 39 07/13/17, 1:11 PM 2.0 seconds 9.9 - 24.9mph

And 27 hard braking events so severe that my eyeballs needed to be re-installed:
Event 7 06/21/17, 10:31 AM 1.0 seconds 12.4 - 5.0mph
Event 13 06/28/17, 8:08 AM 1.0 seconds 15.5 - 7.5mph
Event 22 07/07/17, 12:32 PM 1.0 seconds 12.4 - 2.5mph
Event 23 07/07/17, 1:39 PM 2.0 seconds 15.5 - 0.0mph

This 'game' is definitely the worst release for the S197 Mustang console. 2/10  lol Fuck this thing.

2005 Aero 5MT

#50 2017-08-28 14:31:35

krazykarguy
Supporter

My adventure with the insurance monitor has come to a close.

As with the program on my wife's car, the discount remained the same regardless of my driving habits from about the halfway point to the end. I got 7% off.  lol

So how about the final tally?
201 rapid acceleration events
52 hard braking events

This was a great day:
Acceleration
Event 24    07/07/17, 11:46 AM    1.0 seconds    6.2 - 13.7mph
Event 25    07/07/17, 12:14 PM    1.0 seconds    4.3 - 11.8mph
Event 26    07/07/17, 12:19 PM    2.0 seconds    16.8 - 31.7mph
Event 27    07/07/17, 12:25 PM    1.0 seconds    41.0 - 51.6mph
Event 28    07/07/17, 12:25 PM    1.0 seconds    24.2 - 34.8mph
Event 29    07/07/17, 12:25 PM    2.0 seconds    38.5 - 57.2mph
Event 30    07/07/17, 12:31 PM    1.0 seconds    2.5 - 10.6mph
Event 31    07/07/17, 12:33 PM    1.0 seconds    6.2 - 13.7mph
Event 32    07/07/17, 1:37 PM    1.0 seconds    23.0 - 30.4mph
Event 33    07/07/17, 1:39 PM    2.0 seconds    0.0 - 16.2mph
Event 34    07/07/17, 1:40 PM    1.0 seconds    4.3 - 13.0mph
Event 35    07/07/17, 4:37 PM    1.0 seconds    35.4 - 45.4mph
Braking
Event 18    07/07/17, 12:15 PM    1.0 seconds    16.8 - 9.3mph
Event 19    07/07/17, 12:25 PM    1.0 seconds    49.1 - 41.6mph
Event 20    07/07/17, 12:25 PM    1.0 seconds    36.0 - 28.6mph
Event 21    07/07/17, 12:27 PM    1.0 seconds    63.4 - 47.2mph
Event 22    07/07/17, 12:32 PM    1.0 seconds    12.4 - 2.5mph
Event 23    07/07/17, 1:39 PM    2.0 seconds    15.5 - 0.0mph
Event 24    07/07/17, 4:32 PM    1.0 seconds    23.6 - 14.3mph

Happened to be the same day I shattered my iPhone 5S and was driving 'angry'.

In any event, it was a frustrating experience on both vehicles, but a 17% discount on one car and a next-to-nominal discount of 7% on the other is a couple hundred bucks.

Would I do it again?

Nope.

EDIT: A data dump into Excel shows that 30 of the 52 braking events and 70 of the 201 acceleration events had a delta of less than 8 mph/second, but greater than the 7mph/second minimum. sly

My best inadvertent efforts:
2.5 - 34.2 mph in 2 seconds (15.85 mph/sec. average delta)
63.4 - 47.2 mph in 1 second (16.2 mph/sec. delta)

If the rate of accel/decel delta was 8 mph, I'd have 22 hard braking events and 131 hard acceleration events
If the rate of accel/decel delta was 9 mph, I'd have only 11 hard braking events and 69 hard acceleration events

Last edited by krazykarguy (2017-08-28 14:54:37)

2005 Aero 5MT

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.