saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2006-12-06 10:18:57

SouthFL_9-2x
Title? What Title?
Supporter
User Number: 965

Southie's Comprehensive Review - Tracking your Daily Driver

I wrote this review up for both NASIOC's brakes/suspension forum as well as here, hoping that many of you can learn from my mistakes and benefit from things which I found positive. The mods I did were pretty basic in nature in comparison to some of the stuff I've seen here, so maybe this will help out some of the beginner guys more than anyone.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (WRX Wagon) - Daily Driver + 1 PDE track day every other month.

I'll list mods in the order which they went on the car...

Alignment:
-.9 front / -1.2 Rear (max for stock hardware on my car)
Definite improvement on turn-in. Less understeer.

HAWK HP Plus Pads:
Held up great at the track until car went stage II and I began lapping faster. During my last couple outings (with stage II power), I had to be extremely disciplined with timing of brake zones to avoid having any fade.

Motul RBF 600:
Absolutely necessary to have it freshly bled before an event (speed bleeders were a great convenience item). I tried getting away with not bleeding when I had events 3 weeks apart once and ended up needing to bleed at the track.

FHI 20mm Rear Sway Bar:
For the price, absolutely wonderful. Got rid of rear transitional slop. Less understeer.

Swift Wagon Specific Springs:
I searched plenty before choosing Swift springs. The decision of using this spring ended up being the motivating factor for the sale of my car (will explain more later). This spring's mild spring rate, "wagon specific" and linearish design and conservative ADVERTISED drop really appealed to me, as it seemed like a spring well matched to stock dampers. Initial handling at the track and comfort on the street was superb. Problem was that these springs couldn't last more than 4 months without losing their integrity altogether (I went through 2 sets - the second being the "revised" version which was supposed to deal with excessive drop of the "original" spring). When I mean "lose integrity," I mean these springs would go slammity slam slam in ride height (settle excessively). Ride comfort and handling would suffer as a result.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines:
You know, I really didn't notice anything here.

Wheel/Tire Upgrade (17 x 7.5 wheel w/ 225 45 17 Hankook RS2 Z212 tires):
Slightly wider wheel than my stock Aero 17 x 7 and slightly wider tire than my stock 215's.
No fender conflict.
For the price... Great turn-in. Great grip. Good communication. Great heat cycling capacity. Tire had decently high limit, yet one must be on toes for when the limit was exceeded as immediate throttle modulation and steering input would be necessary to bring things back into check (not much wiggle room).

Kartboy End Links (Front and Rear):
Front links were great. Crisper turn-in.
Rear end links worked. Crisper transition, yet the shorter length of the links than stock caused the sway bar to hit the axleback during bumps in the road. KB extra long exhaust hanger would have fixed the problem but instead I got.....

Whiteline HD End Links (Rear):
Get these and be done. Great links. No brainer.

Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Brace:
Really tightens up the rear. Greater communication as to what's going on back there.

-----------------------------

This is where I'll give some advice to anyone interested in maintaining a decently trackable daily driven wagon....

1) Purchase a Big Brake Kit before anything else (stock rotors are simply too small for our cars).
2) Purchase a set of KW V3 Coilovers right after the BBK.

It sounds like a lot of money up front, but these two mods will be easy to maintain- long term, and will put your car to where it needs to be for long term sustainability at the track. Sure get some sways and endlinks and other smaller items, but these 2 will be a sound base for you to have fun, repeated tracking experiences in your daily driver. We are limited to Koni inserts for damper selection. This is why I say go ahead and do the coilover instead (a decent coilover). Koni + (insert your spring here) are a great setup, but from what I've read and the people which I sought advice from (some of our board's sponsors), it seems like doing the coilover investment makes the most sense in terms of what you get in return (and for just a few hundred dollars more than Koni/Springs).

As for why I sold the car.... I simply got tired of having to mod cars to get them to do what I want them to do. I've been modding cars for years now and I'm tired of being on my back in the garage. I was going to do brake ducting, DBA 4000 rotors front, HAWK Blue front, H6 rear upgrade as my next round of mods on the wagon when my 2nd set of Swift springs decided to give out on me- and that's when I had enough. Went out and got me a new RX8. Big rotors & good handling turn-key. All I want to have to do is bleed brakes before a lapping day and nothing else

Last edited by SouthFL_9-2x (2006-12-11 12:54:05)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-12-06 10:23:42

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

Re: Southie's Comprehensive Review - Tracking your Daily Driver

arrow-up Nice comprehensive write-up - this should be stickied  up

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#3 2006-12-06 10:23:51

Topher
e-famous
SupporterModerator
User Number: 844

Cool write up.

Post the link to the Nasioc thread.  I would like to follow along.

up

And here come the one uppers  arrow-down

#4 2006-12-06 11:13:01

SouthFL_9-2x
Title? What Title?
Supporter

Thanks guys.  Here's the NABISCO link: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … ?t=1151732

#5 2006-12-06 18:43:41

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

SouthFL_9-2x wrote:

Stainless Steel Brake Lines:
You know, I really didn't notice anything here.

Funny, but that's the exact same thing I've noticed on EVERY vehicle I've put them on.

Good write-up BTW

#6 2006-12-06 18:54:01

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator
User Number: 168

Southie I would tend to agree about the coilovers but I wouldn't want them to get trashed in our midwest winters. Something tells me all that salt and those somewhat delicate threads just don't mix too well.

#7 2006-12-06 18:59:28

Topher
e-famous
SupporterModerator
User Number: 844

john_matrix wrote:

Southie I would tend to agree about the coilovers but I wouldn't want them to get trashed in our midwest winters. Something tells me all that salt and those somewhat delicate threads just don't mix too well.

That's why I opted for Pinks on mine.  I wanted coilovers, but I got nervous about the salt/sand that populates Minneapolis.

And here come the one uppers  arrow-down

#8 2006-12-06 19:40:25

Planespotting
User Number: 1282

After buying the RX8 you could have been done with us..... Thanks for sticking around and giving us a nice review.

2008 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan 2.0T in Ibis White, APR Stage 2
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS, Stage broken
2006 Cannondale Scalpel, just sits in the condo

#9 2006-12-06 19:46:41

SouthFL_9-2x
Title? What Title?
Supporter

arrow-up

You kidding?  I learned a lot here.  I'm sure to drop by from time to time.  I still have the wagon.  It's going 100% back to stock tomorrow.

#10 2006-12-06 19:59:01

scottgf
Former, Ex Dealer Guy
Supporter
User Number: 13
Website

Nice write up  up

I'll bet you a dollar within 6 months you are "modding" your Mazda    It's addicting you know.....

Cheers,

Scott
05 9-2x Aero 5 Spd AP Stage 2 SOLD 10/2012     94 Dodge Viper RT/10
73 Plymouth Road Runner                                  63 VW
69 Ford Cortina GT                                            12 Chevy Volt

#11 2006-12-06 22:15:58

salaki
I love Pink...
User Number: 237
Website

Keep in mind Coilovers requires more frequent rebuild = $$$$.

W/ Pinks + Koni, if you ever need a rebuild, Koni has lifetime warranty on their struts.
It's hard to beat this warranty.

I've tried Pinks/Konis WRX w/ sway bars and 17" wheels/tires (a friend's) and Coilovered STi (mine)
I prefer Pinks/Konis if I were to daily drive and track on the weekend.
Coilover is just too stiff and more bouncy BUT feel SO DAMN good on track/nice roads.
There's always a trade off. If I were to choose, I still wouldn't put coilover on a daily drive car even you track it every weekend.

For the SS line, I felt the significant increase on the pedal response.
It's so direct w/o delay unlike the rubber lines. Feels like my foot has a "direct" connection w/ the brake.
I think of it as a good upgrade.

Good write up for sure!

Once you like modding, you'll always mod any car you have.
I don't know why but it's just the way it is big_smile

AIRBAGS SAVE LIVES - AWD SAVES AIRBAGS
SAABIE: Saabaru Tecnica International - 92X Aero - World Rally Red tongue - Premium - Cold Weather - & more.

SUBBIE: Subaru Tecnica International - Impreza WRX STi - World Rally Blue smile - PDXTuned Salaki Spec - SOLD

#12 2006-12-06 23:14:56

SouthFL_9-2x
Title? What Title?
Supporter

salaki wrote:

Keep in mind Coilovers requires more frequent rebuild = $$$$.

W/ Pinks + Koni, if you ever need a rebuild, Koni has lifetime warranty on their struts.
It's hard to beat this warranty.

I've tried Pinks/Konis WRX w/ sway bars and 17" wheels/tires (a friend's) and Coilovered STi (mine)
I prefer Pinks/Konis if I were to daily drive and track on the weekend.
Coilover is just too stiff and more bouncy BUT feel SO DAMN good on track/nice roads.
There's always a trade off. If I were to choose, I still wouldn't put coilover on a daily drive car even you track it every weekend.

For the SS line, I felt the significant increase on the pedal response.
It's so direct w/o delay unlike the rubber lines. Feels like my foot has a "direct" connection w/ the brake.
I think of it as a good upgrade.

Good write up for sure!

Once you like modding, you'll always mod any car you have.
I don't know why but it's just the way it is big_smile

I spoke with Race Comp Engineering regarding the coilover vs. Spring/Strut scenario.
They really pushed the KW V3 as a coilover which goes 3+ years between rebuilds.   Don't know much about coilovers, as I've never used them, so Salaki, you're speaking from experience over me.
RCE also suggested use of a spring with a higher spring rate than USDM SPT Pinks if Koni struts were being used (I guess they're just more hardcore in general?) for someone who is tracking the car often.

Edit:  Doesn't it depend on coilover choice also for what you end up with in terms of overall ride quality?

Last edited by SouthFL_9-2x (2006-12-08 07:09:44)

#13 2008-01-14 15:18:56

Saabinsworth
User Number: 2421

can I ask a potentially stupid question...??  You guys talking about Koni Yellows(sport), or the reds?  Or maybe something else entirely?  Thanks.  I'm far from a suspension noob, but I've haven't set up a saabaru yet. 

Thansk embeer

#14 2008-01-28 14:08:55

SouthFL_9-2x
Title? What Title?
Supporter

Saabinsworth wrote:

can I ask a potentially stupid question...??  You guys talking about Koni Yellows(sport), or the reds?  Or maybe something else entirely?  Thanks.  I'm far from a suspension noob, but I've haven't set up a saabaru yet. 

Thansk embeer

Koni inserts, specifically.  There are no off the shelf Konis (last I knew, it's been a while however) for the Impreza Wagone (Saab92x).  The OE strut is cut open and reused with the Koni insert.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.