saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2009-06-09 17:56:30

Octivarium
User Number: 798

Austin restaurant recommendations

My wife is going to Austin for a three day conference in a couple of weeks. I've never been so I'm going to drive down the end of the third day and we'll spend 2 or 3 days down there.  Any recommendations for good restaurants, i.e. BBQ, Oriental, etc??

Also, are there any majors events going on that last weekend of the month we should go check out?  When I posted before for our trip to DC, I got some great restaurant ideas.  Sadly they were all veto'd by family and they had the car.  banghead  But this time with just the two of us, we should be good to go for most places.  I wouldn't mind one evening checking out 6th, but recomendations for that kind of place are a must!!

Thanks everyone!  Hope to run into some of the 92x crew while I'm down there...  embeer

2014 Forester XT

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2009-06-09 19:13:45

DrivinWest
Sittin' Fat Down South
Supporter
User Number: 3526

Re: Austin restaurant recommendations

I actually live at the corner of 6th and Brazos (also knows as the epicenter of Austin debauchery).  It's a bit tamer now than it is during the school year, but it's still pretty nuts most Thursday through Saturday nights.

East 6th (east of Congress) caters to a mostly younger crowd while West 6th (West of Congress) is more upscale.  Honestly, don't spend on a ton of time on 6th unless you just want to get shitfaced.  There's just not that much to see/do other than drink.

For eating out:

-The Salt Lick in Driftwood can't be beat. It's 25 miles southwest of Austin but well, well worth the trip!
-The Clay Pot on Guadalupe is a modern Indian/American fusion restaurant which is one of my absolute favorites.
-The Hula Hut on Lake Austin Blvd is another favorite.  The Tex-Mex meets Hawaiian food is pretty decent but the location on Town Lake is lots of fun.  This is a great place to spend a lazy/drunken afternoon.
-The Oasis is supposed to have the best view in the city but I've never been.

For going out at night:

-The Belmont on W 6th is a pretty fantastic bar/patio lounge.  Highly recommended.
-South Congress (Congress Ave. south of Town Lake) is fantastic during the day on weekends as well as the evening.  Lots of stores, artists, restaurants, bars, etc.

Those are my initial thoughts.  More to come!

Last edited by DrivinWest (2009-06-09 19:20:44)

2016 Ford Shelby GT350R
2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero - SOLD to Pimpdaub

#3 2009-06-09 19:19:25

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

I love me some Hula Hut.

Friends always dragged me to El Arroyo when I was there. No complaints.

le sigh

#4 2009-06-10 16:21:14

Octivarium

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!!  So far two for Hula Hut.  Might need to swing by for lunch one day.  Hawaiian Tex-Mex, so are we talking Poi Chimichangas??   biggrin  In all honesty it sounds good, just a combination I never would have thought of.

I definately want to down some cold ones while I'm there, but not with the 21 yr old crowd.  I'ld love to find a nice Jazz club to relax at with the wife.  Keep the ideas coming!!   up

2014 Forester XT

#5 2009-06-10 17:08:55

flameJello
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2103

I live absurdly close to el arroyo, it's kindof a fratboy/sorority-girl place, food is okay. Down the street is also z-tejas, a little more upscale. Also on fifth/lamar is Corazon (haven't been there yet), I'll try to post more later.

as for the jazz club, try out "the elephant room"

Hula hut == Chuy's with a way nicer atmosphere.

also on S. Congress is Guero's taco bar, a good mexican restaurant, has live music on their outside courtyard on  certain nights. Across the street is homeslice pizza, great pizza, but be willing to wait a while for a table on a busy weekend night.

Oriental: Thai Passion on congress isn't too bad, and it's open well past midnight IIRC.

Last edited by flameJello (2009-06-10 18:23:07)

Welcome, we are the red-headed stepchildren of GM and FHI

#6 2009-06-10 19:50:04

DrivinWest
Sittin' Fat Down South
Supporter
User Number: 3526

The lounge in the Driskill Hotel is pretty awesome.  You need to be dressed for it (business casual or better), but it's a great spot.

Let me know if you go.  I live literally across the street.

2016 Ford Shelby GT350R
2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero - SOLD to Pimpdaub

#7 2009-06-29 12:52:44

Octivarium

Thanks all for the suggestions!  I had a great time in Austin other than the damn heat!!  mad  We did end up going to Hula Hut over on Lake Austin.  Despite the 45 - hour wait, I'm glad we stayed.  The food and drinks were excellent!!  up

Unfortunately I didn't see any 92x while I was out and about, maybe next time.   Wife and I are planning to drive down for the UT/UTEP game.  Sure we'll get slaughtered, but it should be fun!  embeer

2014 Forester XT

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.